• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Round trip necessary?

Wanderingfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
I have bought a one way ticket to Spain because I am not sure how far I will walk and wanted flexibility. Now, I am wondering if I will have trouble with health QR code’s and entry with only a one way fare. Thoughts? Kind responses only.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have bought a one way ticket to Spain because I am not sure how far I will walk and wanted flexibility. Now, I am wondering if I will have trouble with health QR code’s and entry with only a one way fare. Thoughts? Kind responses only.
There is no reason why you might not be leaving Spain, or indeed the Schengen zone, by a means other than flying. A return ticket is not necessary.

When you enter a country, the immigration officials can ask you various questions to satisfy themselves that you will be staying only for the time you are allowed. They could ask whether you have a ticket to get out, or access to funds to do this. However, I have never in 50 years of traveling, been asked for evidence of either my exit ticket or my finances.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When you enter a country, the immigration officials can ask you various questions to satisfy themselves that you will be staying only for the time you are allowed. They could ask whether you have a ticket to get out, or access to funds to do this. However, I have never in 50 years of traveling, been asked for evidence of either my exit ticket or my finances.
Oh I have, In England before the Eu 😁 Not easily forgotten 😉

I guess this is about the QR codes again?

The French application form that you must fill in to get a French QR code asks you to submit a copy of your return ticket. It is probably a standard request because the majority of foreign tourists fly to France and fly back from France. People have reported that they only submitted a copy of the ticket for flying to France, without any problems. They got their QR code.

The Spanish application form that you must fill in to get a Spanish airport arrival QR code doesn't require copies of your flight tickets and it doesn't even require information about your return from Spain or your leaving Spain. All they want to know is the flight number, date of arrival and seat number for the flight to Spain.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes Spain is very straightforward. I flew into
I guess this is about the QR codes again?

The French application form that you must fill in to get a French QR code asks you to submit a copy of your return ticket. It is probably a standard request because the majority of foreign tourists fly to France and fly back from France. People have reported that they only submitted a copy of the ticket for flying to France, without any problems. They got their QR code.

The Spanish application form that you must fill in to get a Spanish airport arrival QR code doesn't require copies of your flight tickets and it doesn't even require information about your return from Spain or your leaving Spain. All they want to know is the flight number, date of arrival and seat number for the flight to Spain.
Yes that is right. Flew into Tenerife this morning and very straightforward. Pre fill info as per above, alight plane, get QR code scanned, and then join passport queue!

BTW, and unrelated to QR codes, the general Schengen and EU entry rules do not require that non-EU travellers have return tickets, they only must prove the existence of sufficient means of subsistence (i.e. having sufficient means to pay for the intended stay and return travel) should they ever be asked by border control staff to so but this practically never happens.

However, those who do not benefit from the visa waiver program and have to apply for a short-term visitor's visa at a consulate of an EU country are usually required to prove that they have their return itinerary planned and a return ticket is a good way to prove this.

I'm here right now doing the Camino and only had a one way ticket. They did asked me when I planned to return and I gave them a guesstimate if two months.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have never bought return tickets. I have always worked on the assumption that it will take as long as it takes and that if I run into any problems, I will have to return from wherever I am at the time. This did happen to me on my second Camino when I had to return home from Pamplona to get medical treatment. However later I was able to go back and finish off.
Buen Camino
Vince

I have never bought return tickets. I have always worked on the assumption that it will take as long as it takes and that if I run into any problems, I will have to return from wherever I am at the time. This did happen to me on my second Camino when I had to return home from Pamplona to get medical treatment. However later I was able to go back and finish off.
Buen Camino
Vince
Thank you for this.

I am very happy to hear this. I plan to fly to Portugal in early May, do the Camino from Porto, and then decide what else I want to do. Maybe another Camino, or travel around Spain, or France or Italy. Maybe even England after my 90 days in Europe are used up. I hated the idea of buying a round trip ticket with no idea of where I will be when my time runs out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am very happy to hear this. I plan to fly to Portugal in early May, do the Camino from Porto, and then decide what else I want to do. Maybe another Camino, or travel around Spain, or France or Italy. Maybe even England after my 90 days in Europe are used up. I hated the idea of buying a round trip ticket with no idea of where I will be when my time runs out.
Welcome to the forum, @KSterndahl!
Lucky you to be able to spend 90 days in Europe plus extra time in the UK. Sounds like it will be a dream come true.

Welcome to the forum, @KSterndahl!
Lucky you to be able to spend 90 days in Europe plus extra time in the UK. Sounds like it will be a dream come true.
Thank you. I’m retired and VERY tired of hiding in my house from Covid. I also live on the west coast of Mexico and prefer to be elsewhere during the hot and humid hurricane season. But, yes. I’ve traveled quite a bit but never just took off without definite plans. I’m looking forward to just going and then doing whatever feels good or interesting or exciting.

Hi. The best thing to do is to think of a day to come back, but you don't need a return ticket. Last year I did the Camino del Norte with a specialized agency in Spain: https://asantiagovoy.travel/en and they changed my return ticket for the day I needed. I always recommend using this type of system to avoid problems in another country.

I just came back from Europe. I went with a one way ticket. In Germany upon entry, I told them I was walking the Camino and wasn’t sure how long it would take. They asked how much money I had with me and if I had a credit card. That’s all.
Interesting.

I think that this is the first time that I read on this forum that someone has actually been asked this question upon entering an EU country from outside of the EU.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have walked many Caminos. Only once have I had a return ticket. Had to throw it away bc. circumstances. Will never happen again. I leave when I am finished.

As others say, many things can happen. And the freedom of not having a spesific return date is liberating and refreshing.

Well, I was.
I didn't doubt it.

Border control at the external EU/Schengen borders have every right to ask this of every foreign traveller without a return ticket. I guess they do random checks. It is good to see it confirmed that having a credit card is enough to prove the existence of sufficient means of subsistence, i.e. enough money to pay for stay and for the trip back home and out of EU/Schengen.

However, I have never in 50 years of traveling, been asked for evidence of either my exit ticket or my finances.
This used to happen to me regularly enough. The last time I can recall was about six years ago when my wife and I had a slightly more complex itinerary that crossed Schengen borders several times. A similar thing happened about a decade before that when travelling in southern Africa, where I had crossed several land borders, and then flown back to Johannesburg.

As a matter of practice, we now always book return flights when travelling overseas from Australia, so it has never been an issue providing that evidence.

Thus far, it has never happened when I have been travelling to do a pilgrimage, but that isn't evidence that it won't, just a personal anecdote. To reflect @Kathar1na's most recent post, you should be prepared to provide some evidence that you are either leaving or can support yourself while you are in the country you are travelling to.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As a matter of practice, we now always book return flights when travelling overseas from Australia, so it has never been an issue providing that evidence.

Thus far, it has never happened when I have been travelling to do a pilgrimage, but that isn't evidence that it won't, just a personal anecdote.
Absolutely true. I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

I have walked many Caminos. Only once have I had a return ticket. Had to throw it away bc. circumstances. Will never happen again. I leave when I am finished.

As others say, many things can happen. And the freedom of not having a spesific return date is liberating and refreshing.
I have this philosophy as well, but I can also appreciate that many do have time constraints.

i did same. Then i did some research and discovered that the EU rules changed in OCTOBER 2022. A return ticket is required (unless you meet specific exceptions) and without one you may be refused entry into the EU country you are trying to visit. Better safe then sorry. Buying a ticket you can change appears to be best option now. Also, heads up for November 2023 - Visas will be required to enter the EU from the US after the rules change again.:(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back