• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Round-trip or One-way airfare?

TarantoLK

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2016
Hello everyone,

I am in a debate with myself about buying airfare roundtrip or one way. I'm concerned that having a deadline could mentally throw me off while doing my pilgrimage, also price can be a factor by doubling. My trip will be starting in September 2016. I am currently planning on flying into Paris and spending a couple days there before heading to SJPdP to start my Camino. Once finished, I would like to fly home from Madrid after spending a couple days there. I also want the option to continue on to Finisterre, if I'd like to when the time comes. So, either I could add a week on both ends of my Camino to guesstimate and book airfare that way or just book one way. Has anyone had any experience with booking from the Camino a flight home? Any recommendations on this would be greatly appreciated. I fly to/from NYC so most airports, from my experience, typically have flights on a daily basis.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It seems to me that flights booked very near the departure date tend to very expensive. However I live in Ireland and so I am not talking about long haul flights.
Perhaps you could look at the price of a flight from Madrid to NYC next week and compare it with the price of a ticket for next September. Maybe that would help you in making your decision.
Buen Camino.

I walked the Camino Frances this past summer. I flew into Paris and booked a flight out of Barcelona, giving me a week to do whatever. I flew Norwegian both ways, as it was super cheap, but I had to switch planes. I did not book my flight from Santiago to Barcelona until a few days before I left, and I got a super cheap flight...
Initially, I was going to wait to book my flight home, while on the Camino, but am so glad I didn't. The prices were super high. I suggest you book your flight home, but give yourself enough time to spend extra time in Santiago or wherever.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for all your advice. I am seeing really great deals with Norwegian, that will be the best option.

I booked a flight on a Tuesday afternoon on Turkish Air for less than it took to fly in. I left that evening, so talk about last minute! It was the best flight, ever. The only drawback was having to travel to Istanbul to fly back to Chicago, but I loved watching all the people in the airport.

So in short, yes, it is possible to find a cheap flight at the last minute. I would definitely not book a round trip unless you are committed to getting home on a specific date.

It seems to me that flights booked very near the departure date tend to very expensive. However I live in Ireland and so I am not talking about long haul flights.
Perhaps you could look at the price of a flight from Madrid to NYC next week and compare it with the price of a ticket for next September. Maybe that would help you in making your decision.
Buen Camino.

That's very true for European flights as I found out this year. It was about 3 times the price to get a return flight back to the UK with a few days notice. I may just book a return for my next Camino, if I dont use it then its not a great loss.
About international - why not pay a bit more for the ticket and retain the option of changing the flight time for a small fee - I know BA and the Emirates does this. I am not talking about a standard economy flight either as I have a RTW ticket for January (walking in southern climes) and BA is one of the carriers, its possible to change the times for a small fee on their flights.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You might compare the prices of a two-way fare with an "open" return versus two one-way fares.

I only buy one way tickets anymore. It's not true that return tickets bought on short notice are more expensive. It depends on where you fly in and out of. Paris is an inexpensive flight from DC if you go through Iceland. I travel very inexpensively and I think you have the right idea to not limit yourself to an itinerary. In fact, if I have to fly or travel from one US airport to another before leaving the country, I build in an extra day or two so in case of cancellations or missed flights, I don't have to panic. I also buy my ground transportation once I am on the ground. For example, I had to fly from a small regional in Colorado to DC for my flight to Paris. I had a few days in DC. When I arrived in Paris, I had 4 days there at a hostel and bought my train ticket the day before I left. Then when I arrived in Bayonne, I licked my finger and put it in the air to see which way the wind was blowing and decided right then if I would walk from Bayonne or go to San Jean.
After Santiago, I met with another pilgrim and we had a slow, fun walk to Muxia and then to Finisterre. We decided which would be first on a whim when we reached a fork in the road. We ended up traveling to Valencia and Barcelona. I found a very inexpensive fare to Amsterdam and back to DC while in Barcelona. And I only left because my visa was running out. My whole trip with airfare for 91 days in Europe was under $4,000.00.
If you have the time let the spirit of The Way be your guide.

... Has anyone had any experience with booking from the Camino a flight home? ...

Yes, I did that last year in Fromista, it worked well and I got a good price, but it was November, so not exactly high season. Buen Camino! SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Things may have changed but when I traveled from DC (BWI actually) to Spain I used Iberia because with them I had the option of buying a round trip ticket with a set departure date (penalty fee to change...I knew I would definitely leave on that date so took advantage of the cheapest rate) and return flight with flexible date (choosing my 90th day as the tentative return date). It was more expensive than having set (penalty to change) dates both ways, but less expensive than paying a penalty to move a return date. In the end I left Spain on the 90th day but I liked knowing the return date could be moved if needed.

Ask yourself what is your budget, both in dollars and time. I used to be constrained by both, but now that I'm retired, it's not time. So, my suggestion is, buy either RT or fixed flight to Europe and open/flexible on the return, depending on your dollar budget for as long as your time budget allows. Then if you find you have time available, take a side trip, or keep walking, or maybe a Spanish immersion course. Earlier this year, following completing the Camino Francés, I did something like this and ended up seeing Finisterre and Muxia, and then bought a train ticket Santiago to Barcelona to fill the time I had before my return flight. Love those Spanish trains, and inexpensive too.
Hope this helps.

I think round trip is best for only one reason. After the Camino you won't want to leave ;), of course that cuts both ways :rolleyes:. The flexibility is very important. Allow enough time, there is so much to see ! But, you will become addicted, as we all are.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back