• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Round trip questions from NYC

taejabai

Time of past OR future Camino
CAMINO DEL NORTE (2018)
My parents will be going on this trip from NY in April, and I'm feeling a bit uneasy, since they don't speak Spanish or French...
I booked their roundtrip flight from NY <-> Paris and will be telling them to take the shuttle to Montparnasse --> train to Bayonne --> train to St. Jean Pied de Port.

1) I'm guessing there's a guest house right at SJPdP where they can stay, since they arrive around 7:20 pm. Do I need to book lodging for them in advance, or can they just walk in?

2) How long does the walk from SJPdP to Santiago typically take? My parents are 66 and 70, so they will be taking it easy - so I assume it will take them longer than others.

3) They're planning on taking a plan from Santiago to Paris when they're done with the walk. Is that the best way to return to Paris?

4) If they have arrive at Santiago earlier than they had planned, they would like to take a trip to Lourdes. Does it make sense for them to get to Paris and then go to Lourdes, or is there a better way for them to get there?

Thank you in advance!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
1. They should book the first night in SJPdP, especially if they're arriving in the evening. There will be lots of people there, and it's no fun having to find lodgings after traveling so long.
2. My wife and I are the same age as your parents. It took us 35 walking days (plus a couple of rest days) to reach SdC, but we didn't do the entire Frances in one trip. But the answer depends entirely on what kind of shape they're in. It's almost 500 miles. Even though the walking is fairly easy, how far are they comfortable walking every day? Day after day.
3. Plane is certanly the fastest, easiest and probably cheapest way from SdC to Paris. Check out EayJet, Ryanair, a well as the major airlines. If you book way in advance, you can probably get something so ridiculously cheap that they probably won't even mind forfeiting the tickets if their travel plans change.
4. Don't know the answer to your question about Lourdes. You probably need to research the options, whether it makes sense to go Santiago - Lourdes - Paris, or Santiago - Paris - Lourdes - Paris. Good place to start your planning is Rome2rio.com.

Several hotels and albergues in Saint Jean to make reservations at, which is recommended. It's a small town and easy to find your way around in.
Vueling Airlines has a non-stop flight from Santiago to Paris CDG airport.
Lourdes is close to Saint Jean, and far away from Paris.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lourdes is closer to SJPD than it is to Paris. (Perhaps they should go there first from Paris.) There are TGV trains that run from CDG to Bayonne, with a change in Bordeaux St. Jean (http://www.sncf.com/en/horaires-info-trafic/trajet/resultats) -- if they're not used to Paris and speak little/no French, that may be easier for them than to deal with the bus and MontParnasse. There is at train from Bayonne to Lourdes-- it takes about 2 hours.
I second the Rome2Rio website. :) You might also look into flights from Paris to Biarritz. -- Another option: My son and I flew into Paris from Toronto, spent an afternoon in Paris, and then took a night train arriving in Bayonne in the early morning. We took the first two days easy and just walked to Orrison, and then to Roncevalles. If I hadn't been able to get a bed at Orrison, I would have spent the day in SJPD. :) No sense in pushing yourself while you're jet lagged.

Last edited:
My parents will be going on this trip from NY in April, and I'm feeling a bit uneasy, since they don't speak Spanish or French...
I booked their roundtrip flight from NY <-> Paris and will be telling them to take the shuttle to Montparnasse --> train to Bayonne --> train to St. Jean Pied de Port.

1) I'm guessing there's a guest house right at SJPdP where they can stay, since they arrive around 7:20 pm. Do I need to book lodging for them in advance, or can they just walk in?

2) How long does the walk from SJPdP to Santiago typically take? My parents are 66 and 70, so they will be taking it easy - so I assume it will take them longer than others.

3) They're planning on taking a plan from Santiago to Paris when they're done with the walk. Is that the best way to return to Paris?

4) If they have arrive at Santiago earlier than they had planned, they would like to take a trip to Lourdes. Does it make sense for them to get to Paris and then go to Lourdes, or is there a better way for them to get there?

Thank you in advance!
1. They should book the first night in SJPdP, especially if they're arriving in the evening. There will be lots of people there, and it's no fun having to find lodgings after traveling so long.
2. My wife and I are the same age as your parents. It took us 35 walking days (plus a couple of rest days) to reach SdC, but we didn't do the entire Frances in one trip. But the answer depends entirely on what kind of shape they're in. It's almost 500 miles. Even though the walking is fairly easy, how far are they comfortable walking every day? Day after day.
3. Plane is certanly the fastest, easiest and probably cheapest way from SdC to Paris. Check out EayJet, Ryanair, a well as the major airlines. If you book way in advance, you can probably get something so ridiculously cheap that they probably won't even mind forfeiting the tickets if their travel plans change.
4. Don't know the answer to your question about Lourdes. You probably need to research the options, whether it makes sense to go Santiago - Lourdes - Paris, or Santiago - Paris - Lourdes - Paris. Good place to start your planning is Rome2rio.com.
Reserve a place in SO. I did my first C at 69, second at 70, another one in June. Flight from Santiago to Paris is an easy one. Plan at least 5 weeks for The Way.

Thank you in advance!
I would plan 6 weeks and definitely prebook St Jean and Orisson. I highly recommend Beilari in SJPP. I was 67 and 69 when I did the CF, and 70 when I walked Santiago to Finisterre/Muxia. There are people of all ages.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back