• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Round Trip

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looking forward to hearing about your circle Camino, Mendi. I think the turn-off for Lires is so well worth it, it gives you some beautiful oceanside walking. Going in the direction from Finisterre to Muxia you will see a well-marked left turn. The bar is on the beach and really a great place to stop. You then continue on the local road, which takes you right into the hamlet of Lires, and you're right back on the Camino again. And if you are breaking up the Finisterre-Muxia stage you with an overnight in Lires, you'll be right there.

Have a very very buen camino! Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Mendiwalker,

Are there other pilgrims in Dumbria? I've slept there three times, twice totally alone, once with a full house! The people of Dumbria are about the nicest bunch of people I've met on any camino. I've probably told the story before (at my age, you kind of forget whom you've told what to), but here goes:

I arrived at the albergue on a Sunday afternoon in July (2014). By 3 pm the place was full! Several pilgrims headed down in search of a store or a bar or some source of food. Nothing open.

Around 6 pm, I went down with another pilgrim in the hopes that something would have opened up. There we learned that usually something is open on Sunday, but today were fiestas in a nearby pueblo, so everyone was there. We called the Dumbria taxi to see if he would drive us to the fiestas where we knew there would be food, but he was having too good a time at the fiesta to come back and get us. One of the women in town told us to come back at 8 pm, something may open up then.

Back at 8, everything still closed. The women we had talked to lived on the main drag and came out when they saw us. We started to attract a crowd, and the townsfolk took it upon themselves to go to their homes and bring out food for us. Freshly laid eggs, bread, onions, tortilla, potatoes, even wine! They would accept no money, but rather told us that it was their duty to make sure that Dumbria provided for pilgrims. That was incredibly humbling, to think that they thought they had an obligation to take care of me. When we got back to the albergue, two Polish seminarians took charge of whipping up the meal, and then another woman from town arrived, bringing us jars of olives and some other munchies. We were astonished. We took up a collection, stuck it in an envelope and put it on the door where the "ringleader" lived. It may seem like a silly story, but for me it was a pretty incredible example of what humanity is all about. Buen camino, Laurie

Not at all a silly story Laurie it is the special spirit of the town! Arrived there mid day mid December 2013 in a horrific sleet storm. Walked/skided to an open very macho bar in town. Covered with ice I asked the barrista in my hesitant Spanish about the albergue's hours. One guy at the bar turned to me and in perfect French said that the door was always open and he would drive me back.
The sleet continued and aĺl was hyper slick. We entered the albergue which was toasty warm from sub floor heat. This kind soul then asked if I had food. Yes I replied some soup, cheese and fruit. He smiled and then said that he must hurry. I thought he meant to hurry off to work. No he dashed out and came quickly back with a huge sandwich and tasty hot croquettes. At the door he said please enjoy these Senora may they give strength for your camino. ...What a heartfelt kindness was that delicious moveable feast.

Last edited:
Wow, Margaret, what is it about Dumbria?! One of the women who had joined the roadside gathering to figure out how to get us food was driving home from a funeral and stopped. She insisted that I get in the car with her and she took me to her house, where she got a big loaf of bread and I don't remember what else. She described her many years living there, pretty much she and her husband grew or raised all they needed, and they were scraping by on a very low pension but were happy to share with us far more affluent pilgrims sauntering their way to Muxia. I decided that "paying it forward" was the best way to honor this spirit, and I've tried my hardest to do that. But it's so easy to forget. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
.....Glup!:(As the text says (I had to read it before) The Carnota horreo is not the longest(34,74mts). The first is in Araño (Rianxo) (37 mts) and the second is in Lira (36,53).
So sorry for my mistake. But the one in Carnota I think is the most famous and valuable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 8
Now back tracking to Oliveira where we stayed at the public hostel in the little house and had a great lunch at As Pias.
Ondo Ibili !

SSSHHH. That's the best kept secret about the Olveiroa albergue. There are (or at least were) actually three buildings used for the albergue. Everyone heads to the main one, but the "little house" is delightful, and if memory serves, there is another floor somewhere with a few beds above a non-albergue building, too. And since the main building is adjacent (or was) to the pig pen, these "satellite" buildings have the advantage of being farther from the smells. Buen camino, Laurie

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sounds like a wonderful time and perfect weather for walking.

Ondo Ibili!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congratulations MendiWalker another successful Camino!

Thank you.

Good conversation, good information, and you just gave me the answer on what to do with our two backpacks--check the one loaded with the "prohibited items" (trekking poles, nail clippers, knife, etc.) and have the other one as carry on. My other option is to load both in one of my military duffer bags for the flight to Spain.

Thanks again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to hear that the behaviour of the people at Lires was not good. I found the young girls behind the counter friendly enough, even though they were totally over stretched when I booked in. Perhaps I'm not expecting very much since my Spanish is so basic.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mendi, thank you so much for a wonderful report!
I've never walked this stretch, but now my feet are aching to do it!
I have been to Muxia and Finisterra, and agree that Muxia is more beautiful, imo.

Thanks again,
Annie

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.