A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Route advice between Merida and Caceres

2020 Camino Guides

dementedskunk

Hello
I'm walking the Camino mozarabe with a friend in May 2019. We completed the via de la plata some years ago but missed out the part from Merida to Caceres so want to complete it this time as an extension of the mozarabe. How have other pilgrims found this section? We plan to walk it in 2 days but are considering to do it in 3. How have others broken this up and where have stopped?
Any help or advice would be great. Rachel & Paul

Donna Sch

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
VdLP-Sanabres-Fisterra (Summer 2015); Levante-Invierno (Feb/Mar 2019);
England Camino routes ?2024
Merida to Aljucen to Alcuescar then Valdesalor then Casa de Caceres. My friend and I must have arrived in Caceres before lunch and we played tourist for the afternoon before walking out to CdC. If the weather is hot, definitely stop at Aljucen. People die in this stretch from heatstroke and related conditions.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola @dementedskunk
This section was my first Camino (back in 2013). If you are looking for a physical test then yes it can be done in two days. But if you wish to enjoy some lovely, quiet Spanish natural park (not to mention the home of some of the biggest & best fighting bulls) then three days will see you home.
I think I did the following stages : Merida to Aljucen (I walked in the rain so called a stop early); Aljucen to Alcuescar; Alcuescar to Valdesslor; Valdesalor to Carceres (so two longer days and two short ones).

If you are walking in July/August then my second and third days will require at least two litres of water per pilgrim. Hope this helps,. Buen Camino.

dementedskunk

Merida to Aljucen to Alcuescar then Valdesalor then Casa de Caceres. My friend and I must have arrived in Caceres before lunch and we played tourist for the afternoon before walking out to CdC. If the weather is hot, definitely stop at Aljucen. People die in this stretch from heatstroke and related conditions.

dementedskunk

thank you - we will be finishing at caceres itself not walking on to casa de caceres as we have completed the rest of the walk in 2010.

dementedskunk

Hola @dementedskunk
This section was my first Camino (back in 2013). If you are looking for a physical test then yes it can be done in two days. But if you wish to enjoy some lovely, quiet Spanish natural park (not to mention the home of some of the biggest & best fighting bulls) then three days will see you home.
I think I did the following stages : Merida to Aljucen (I walked in the rain so called a stop early); Aljucen to Alcuescar; Alcuescar to Valdesslor; Valdesalor to Carceres (so two longer days and two short ones).

If you are walking in July/August then my second and third days will require at least two litres of water per pilgrim. Hope this helps,. Buen Camino.

dementedskunk

thank you - i think i prefer to do it in 3 days if it is hot. were the hostels ok? my guidebook is now 10 years old and doesn't seem to have been updated since then.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2020? Looks like.... nowhere! 😁
Hello
I'm walking the Camino mozarabe with a friend in May 2019. We completed the via de la plata some years ago but missed out the part from Merida to Caceres so want to complete it this time as an extension of the mozarabe. How have other pilgrims found this section? We plan to walk it in 2 days but are considering to do it in 3. How have others broken this up and where have stopped?
Any help or advice would be great. Rachel & Paul
I think it would be better done in 3 days. We did it in 2, stopping in
Alcuéscar. It was extremely hot and that is when we needed the ‘rehydrating powder’ sorry I forget what it’s called. We stayed in a Casa rural in Alcuéscar, it was very nice. (My husband doesn’t ‘do’ albergues :rolleyes::D).
Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 319 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 366 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock