• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route advice between Merida and Caceres

dementedskunk

Hello
I'm walking the Camino mozarabe with a friend in May 2019. We completed the via de la plata some years ago but missed out the part from Merida to Caceres so want to complete it this time as an extension of the mozarabe. How have other pilgrims found this section? We plan to walk it in 2 days but are considering to do it in 3. How have others broken this up and where have stopped?
Any help or advice would be great. Rachel & Paul

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Merida to Aljucen to Alcuescar then Valdesalor then Casa de Caceres. My friend and I must have arrived in Caceres before lunch and we played tourist for the afternoon before walking out to CdC. If the weather is hot, definitely stop at Aljucen. People die in this stretch from heatstroke and related conditions.

Last edited:
Hola @dementedskunk
This section was my first Camino (back in 2013). If you are looking for a physical test then yes it can be done in two days. But if you wish to enjoy some lovely, quiet Spanish natural park (not to mention the home of some of the biggest & best fighting bulls) then three days will see you home.
I think I did the following stages : Merida to Aljucen (I walked in the rain so called a stop early); Aljucen to Alcuescar; Alcuescar to Valdesslor; Valdesalor to Carceres (so two longer days and two short ones).

If you are walking in July/August then my second and third days will require at least two litres of water per pilgrim. Hope this helps,. Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Merida to Aljucen to Alcuescar then Valdesalor then Casa de Caceres. My friend and I must have arrived in Caceres before lunch and we played tourist for the afternoon before walking out to CdC. If the weather is hot, definitely stop at Aljucen. People die in this stretch from heatstroke and related conditions.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola @dementedskunk
This section was my first Camino (back in 2013). If you are looking for a physical test then yes it can be done in two days. But if you wish to enjoy some lovely, quiet Spanish natural park (not to mention the home of some of the biggest & best fighting bulls) then three days will see you home.
I think I did the following stages : Merida to Aljucen (I walked in the rain so called a stop early); Aljucen to Alcuescar; Alcuescar to Valdesslor; Valdesalor to Carceres (so two longer days and two short ones).

If you are walking in July/August then my second and third days will require at least two litres of water per pilgrim. Hope this helps,. Buen Camino.

thank you - i think i prefer to do it in 3 days if it is hot. were the hostels ok? my guidebook is now 10 years old and doesn't seem to have been updated since then.

Hello
I'm walking the Camino mozarabe with a friend in May 2019. We completed the via de la plata some years ago but missed out the part from Merida to Caceres so want to complete it this time as an extension of the mozarabe. How have other pilgrims found this section? We plan to walk it in 2 days but are considering to do it in 3. How have others broken this up and where have stopped?
Any help or advice would be great. Rachel & Paul

I think it would be better done in 3 days. We did it in 2, stopping in
Alcuéscar. It was extremely hot and that is when we needed the ‘rehydrating powder’ sorry I forget what it’s called. We stayed in a Casa rural in Alcuéscar, it was very nice. (My husband doesn’t ‘do’ albergues :rolleyes::D).
Whatever you choose, enjoy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back