• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route Advice VdlP Oliva de Plasencia

SusanO

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago and planning on Via del la Plata
Hi, I am currently walking the VdlP and am not sure whether to walk to Olivia de Plasencia or go to Caparra for a look then walk to Hostal Asturias. The book says that going to Oliva adds an 6km. Not sure what to do. Currently in Alcuescar. Parts of the book are a bit confusing.
Thanks so much for your advice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can get a pick up at Ventequemada (basically a road crossing) to go to Oliva de Plasencia, or a pickup at Caparra for Hostal Asturias. From Hostal Asturias, it is only about 1 km back onto the Via. From Oliva back to the Via at Caparra is 6 km (I think. I don't have any of my documents here now.)

It is quite a pleasant wal, to Oliva de Plasencia from Venta Quemada, Oliva itself is a cute little village worth the detour and, best of all, the following morning you do not need to retrace your steps and arrive in Cáparra after a few km. Incidentally, on the way from Oliva to Cáparra, you walk among serious fighting bulls, they are magnificent animals to see (and, do not worry, the fences are particularly high and strong). The atmosphere in the Oliva bar, the locals, the food... Oliva is just lovely!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have done both and enjoyed both places, on my most recent VdlP in 2017, Olivia was booked up due to a fiesta. We booked Hostal Asturias,reluctantly, however it ended up with many pilgrims waiting at Caparra for a lift in fact he had to do two trips. Great Hostal with good food and 4 of us shared his taxi to Aldeneuva in the morning.

It is quite a pleasant wal, to Oliva de Plasencia from Venta Quemada, Oliva itself is a cute little village worth the detour and, best of all, the following morning you do not need to retrace your steps and arrive in Cáparra after a few km. Incidentally, on the way from Oliva to Cáparra, you walk among serious fighting bulls, they are magnificent animals to see (and, do not worry, the fences are particularly high and strong). The atmosphere in the Oliva bar, the locals, the food... Oliva is just lovely!
agreed

2009 I stayed in Oliva de Plasencia. The bar "Arco di Caparra" is worth a detour because of the great Tapas you get for free with every beer. The albergue is not really worth the detour though the author of the yellow german guide book Raimund Joos tells you so. The food there was only average and the hospitalera did not bother to fetch us from Venta Quemada (8 km of boring roadside walk) or to bring us back there the next morning. The only interesting thing: When walking to Caparra the next morning you pass along a farm where they breed bulls for bull fights ("ganado bravo"). Precious animals. You can walk past well protected by a very strong fence.

This time I will try Hostal Asturias or even take the challenge and walk more than 40 km to get to Aldeanueva. Depends on the companions I will find along the way.

BC
Alexandra

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the VĂ­a de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back