• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route from Castro Urdiales to Santander

Halkida

Time of past OR future Camino
Bilbao to Santander 2016
I am a bit confused about which is the official camino route from Castro Urdiales.

Does a ferry operate between Laredo and Santona and if so is this part of the official route ?

Also, I have provisionally booked a hotel in ' Ajo' ' Hotel Costa de Ajo' This hotel is on the coast but is it on the route ?

Would really appreciate any help you can give as I am a female travelling on my own and I do not want to get lost.

Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am a bit confused about which is the official camino route from Castro Urdiales.

Does a ferry operate between Laredo and Santona and if so is this part of the official route ?

Also, I have provisionally booked a hotel in ' Ajo' ' Hotel Costa de Ajo' This hotel is on the coast but is it on the route ?

Would really appreciate any help you can give as I am a female travelling on my own and I do not want to get lost.

Thanks.

Hi Halkida,

Yes, a boat connects Laredo and Santona and it's "official." Walk the full length of Laredo's beach and you'll find the ferry on the far side. From Santona, the route proceeds through Noja on the coast and then turns inland to San Miguel de Meruelo and Guemes, before returning to the coast near Galizano. It does not pass through Ajo.

If you really like the sound of the hotel, judging from Google Maps it looks like Ajo wouldn't be a terrible detour--you'd be splitting off to it near Bareyo. But most are eager to stay in the Guemes albergue, well known for its hospitality. There's also the albergue in San Miguel de Meruelo very close by.

Dave

Thanks.
The ferry cuts out about half a day of walking. We took it. Sorry I don't know about Ajo, we stayed just outside Laredo and then in Santander.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Heads up as you make your way to Noja: you can go over the hill and around the hill. Going over the hill has been, to this day, the only dangerous part of the Camino I have experienced. It is super steep, on sand, and with nothing to prevent you from falling off the cliff should you lose your footting. At some point th step up I had to take was so high I had to get on hands and knees to climb it up. But it's a beautiful view of the surfers down below.

Also, in Noja, there's a pension called La casona azul. They have a room for pilgrims, at pilgrim rates, including a bathtub! It has two single beds, and if another pilgrim shows up you get to share. It's on the main square, 10 meters from the church and tourism office.

Heads up as you make your way to Noja: you can go over the hill and around the hill. Going over the hill has been, to this day, the only dangerous part of the Camino I have experienced. It is super steep, on sand, and with nothing to prevent you from falling off the cliff should you lose your footting. At some point th step up I had to take was so high I had to get on hands and knees to climb it up. But it's a beautiful view of the surfers down below.

Also, in Noja, there's a pension called La casona azul. They have a room for pilgrims, at pilgrim rates, including a bathtub! It has two single beds, and if another pilgrim shows up you get to share. It's on the main square, 10 meters from the church and tourism office.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

La Casona is a true pilgrims stay. Wonderfull hospitability. Can't recommend it enough.

If the tides are right you can shorten the walk from Loredo to the ferry by cutting across the beach. Go over the hill to Noja--well worth the small climb. I (and I may be the only person ever) did not like the albergue at Guermes. People were allowed to smoke everywhere. I wish I'd stayed anywhere else.

Guemes has ots pros and cons, but it is one of these places everyone talks about and if you have not experienced ot you feel left out.

Pros: first and only time I was greeted by a volunteer with a large glass of cold water. Have never forgotten. Vast grounds, with lots of room to nap in the sun or throw a ball, as well as a library and a common room. And a house dog! I got there before lunch and we were invitd to share lunch with the volunteers: sopa de ajo, fried eggs, tomato salad. Heaven ( while they were left overs, lunch was better than dinner!) A very lively dinner: imagine 50 plus pilgrims sharing a comunal meal.

Pro or con?: When I was there a friend of the place, somesort of physio came by to treat people in exchange of a donation. Some people got fancy K Tape for their maux, I was given a jar of what was probably a jar of pork fat with a leaf on top, and no, it did not help my plantar fasciitis. Man was certainly entertaining.

Cons: super thin foam mattrss and some bunks are 3 high. Rooms on the ground level (little cabanas) pack people and beds look like sun chairs with a mat. The "talk". Some like it, others see a ploy to increase donations. They had me at the glass of cold water when I arrived, so hearing about the owner's story going around the world to help the poor... Well... Again, they had me at the glass of water, and ok, the sopa de ajo. But if this is not your type of thing, or visiting the "chapel" on the grounds, you don't have to.

I do not recall anyone smoking, and gladly so. I suppose it's a matter of luck regarding who is there when you are?

It had a house dog, cold water upon arrival, sopa de ajo, and its one of these places you want to at least have experienced once, if only not to feel you have missed out. ;0)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
that's why lists of bests can be deceiving...we all value things differently, and situations change. For me, the best albergue on the Norte was the monasterio at ziortza (zenaruzza), complete with cold room, cold shower, and water/bread/soup for dinner, coffee/bread for breakfast. The monks shared what little they had, and i never laughed so much as I did trying to communicate with my only fellow pilgrim. I guess I'd say stop and see Guermes, but leave enough energy/daylight so you can continue on if it's not what you want...and admitting I may be the only pilgrim in recorded time who ever complained about the smoke...but I've grown up in a nonsmoking world so I am really bothered by it.
edit: and I couldn't eat dinner. Someone was smoking near me and I was sick to my stomach :(

Heads up as you make your way to Noja: you can go over the hill and around the hill. Going over the hill has been, to this day, the only dangerous part of the Camino I have experienced. It is super steep, on sand, and with nothing to prevent you from falling off the cliff should you lose your footting. At some point th step up I had to take was so high I had to get on hands and knees to climb it up. But it's a beautiful view of the surfers down below..

Help me understand. ;) If you're going from Santona (after the ferry drops you off ) to Guemes - it seems like a direct route, or is this incorrect? Why would you go up north to Noja and then back down to Guemes? thanks!

Last edited:
Help me understand. ;) If you're going from Santona (after the ferry drops you off ) to Guemes - it seems like a direct route, or is this incorrect? Why would you go up north to Noja and then back down to Guemes? thanks!

Hi Dchell, I suppose one way to answer is; in Laredo there is an option! Head for beach promenade and 5km later take ferry from beach to Santona.
Now the route continues by coast. I walked it last September.
The other possibility is to take inland option which bypasses ferry and coast.
Maybe if you look at map there may be a very obvious reason.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.