Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route from Lugo to Sobrado

rawsonc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2011), Portugues & Finisterre (2012), Norte, Lebaniego, Ruta de la Reconquista, Camino Covadonga & Primitivo (2013)
Hola all,

I’ll be walking the Primitivo this year and was looking into taking the route that connects the Primitivo with the Norte from Lugo to Sobrado dos Monxes (via Friol) to visit the monastery there. I have found a useful web page with route descriptions in Spanish but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this way and could tell me if it is a difficult route to follow and if many peregrinos take this route? From what I can tell it’s marked with green arrows and there is only 12km of asphalt walking out of about 50km so splits nicely into two days. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Chris

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Chris
just to say that in 2011 one of our merry band followed the green arrows (which start after you cross the river bridge going out of Lugo) and he didn't have a guidebook. When we all met up again in Arzua he said the way-marking had been fine. I can't remember what happened on his first night's accommodation but it wasn't a problem. One of the German guides (Rother perhaps) details the route. Cheers, tom

rawsonc said:
...I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this way and could tell me if it is a difficult route to follow and if many peregrinos take this route? From what I can tell it’s marked with green arrows...

Hi there,Rawsonc. In 2011 I walked from Lugo to Sobrado dos Monxes overnighting in Friohl. I had been unsuccessful in obtaining information in Lugo about a signed trail so I followed the Primitivo signs as far as a motorway then walked on asphalt for the rest of the way to Friohl. There I met others who'd followed the green arrows you mention from Lugo. They said they got lost once or twice but could hear motorway traffic most of the way to the left of the trail. When they turned towards the motorway they found the trail again. (if I remember rightly, after following the Primitivo signs out of Lugo, crossing the bridge, turning right and coming to a church, just beyond the church I saw a green arrow [on the right] and other arrows and signs to elsewhere
)

There is no albergue in Friohl. Peregrinos generally stay in the Pension/Bar across from the park and opposite the little bridge over the Rio N(?) The barman said that every summer there is a steady trickle of peregrinos hightailing it from Lugo through the woods. He gave us a photocopied map and instructions on how to continue the next day. It was a lovely walk and not difficult.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Lovingkindness

Attachments

• _DSC0816.JPG
    _DSC0816.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 1,314
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Our guide to the Camino Primitivo gives the way out of Lugo and the turn off for the route to Sobrado de Monxes at San Lázaro on the outskirts of Lugo.

Follow the Camino signs out of Lugo. Cross the Roman bridge over the Rio Miño, turn right onto the Rúa Fermin Rivera. Follow this road along the river to the church of San Lázaro (on left behind railings - sello if open). Shortly after the church the Camino Primitivo turns left and uphill. Do not turn left, instead bear right and follow the road to Friol, Prado, Carballo and Sobrado de Monxes.

Buen Camino

I will be there in October, beginning my walk in Lugo. Bearing in mind that I will need to obtain 2 sellos per day on the way to SdC, what are the best places in Friol to ask for these?

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

I acquired a sello at the Ajuntamiento/Polizei?. A policeman happened by just as I did and opened things up. You might try the local Bar/Pension. There is also a Biblioteca in Friol and a Supermercado.

Cheers.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all the information, it's really helpful. I'll definately take this route when I walk the Primitivo in June and I'll keep you posted on how it goes

Chris

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I did that route on september 2010 and it is worth it. I would suggest you follow the road out of Lugo towards San Román. Then, at some stage, you will see a road on your right towards Santolaya or Santa Eulalia de Bóveda, which is A MUST, it is a sort of house of shrine from late Roman times or early visigothic years, with beautiful frescoes and an unbelievable environment. From there, it is only about two or three hours to Friol, on asphalt over beautiful rural landscape.

In Friol, pensión Benigno is great value, has a fabulous menu, and will give you clear indications on how to join Camino del norte a couple of miles before Sobrado. This particular part of the Lugo landscape is absolutely breathtaking, old rural landscape.

Then, the monastery in Sobrado dos Monxes is worth the detour. A fabulous place.

From there on, you can join the Francés in Arzúa, although I believe there is a detour on your right after leaving Boimorto that will bring you to Santa Irene over asphalt, I did not see the arrows for that detour, so I chose to go to Arzúa.

Definitely; do not mis Santa Eulalia de Bóveda and Sobrado dos Monxes, and buen camino!

rawsonc said:
Thanks for all the information, it's really helpful. I'll definately take this route when I walk the Primitivo in June and I'll keep you posted on how it goes

Chris

Hi Chris,

I am walking the Norte leaving Irun May 30th. Hope to see you along the way.

Bobbie

Hiya Bobbie,

I'm leaving Irun just one day before you so chances are we will bump into each other somewhere along the way. Not so long to go now. Hope you have a good one.

Chris

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, I agree with Amancio -- a short detour to Santa Eulalia de Boveda is incredible and well worth every extra step.

Just wanted to add that the detour is also easy for those who are not going to go to Sobrados, but who choose to stay put on the Primitivo and will go to San Roman, Ponte Ferreira, Melide, etc.

You will see the turn-off for Santa Eulalia on the main road that you walk on after leaving Lugo (about 12-14 kms after Lugo, I think). Santa Eulalia is about two kms to the right on a very rural road. When you are in Santa Eulalia, if you ask the people in charge, they can direct you to a path that takes you to Bacurin (where there is a romanesque church), and where you will rejoin the Primitivo. That lets you avoid backtracking.

Either way, it is definitely a great stop. Buen camino, Laurie

Well that makes things quite interesting for me. A choice of two routes to Friol. I've got a degree in Classical Studies (partly why the route through Lugo draws me in - really looking forward to walking the walls) so I'm being pulled towards the late Roman 'santuario' Santa Eulalia de Boveda rather than following the green arrows across the river out of Lugo. It does sound quite special. Decision made :D Thanks Laurie & Amancio

Chris

I agree witn Amanciao that the Sobrado dos Monxes monastery should not be missed.

In March 2007 I detoured there from the Camino Frances at Arzua; it was quite a day! Here is their webpage >> http://www3.planalfa.es/sobrado/. Stayed at the pilgrim albergue within the Cistercian/Trappist monastery. This complex is a Baroque masterpiece, but the dorm was a actually in a renovated stable; no other pilgrims were there and it was freezing! Earlier I wandered alone through the other structures in awe. Attended Vespers with one other 'outsider'. who was staying in the more comfortable Hospederia. The evening service was held in a splendid circular contemporary space. Walls were either painted white or natural wood. All was lit by thick, sputtering candles. The monks wearing their white robes responded in unison. It was a true privilege to share such a timeless ambiance.

Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a little plug for the Lugo - Santa Eulalia - Bacarin - San Roman de Retorta option (that would be staying on the Primitivo till Melide rather than detouring over to the Norte and Sobrado). From Lugo to San Roman is only 19 kms, so the extra kms and the extra time taken to make the visit to Santa Eulalia are easy to fit into the day. San Roman has two very lovely albergues up in a field (that used to be a livestock market). Very peaceful, shady, green. There is also a bar about 1/2 km earlier where you can buy some food. The next day you walk San Roman to Melide, which is where you hit the Frances and the mobs.

I have never walked from Lugo to Friol to Sobrado dos Monxes but I stayed in Sobrado dos Monxes when I walked the Norte in 2007. Yes, there was a lot of atmosphere, but I have to say that the bathrooms in that albergue were truly a health hazard. At that time the albergue was donativo, so maybe they have since instituted a charge and cleaned up the place a bit.

But I haven't walked through Friol and on to Arzua, so I can't comment on whether that scenery is nicer than the San Roman to Melide stretch, which is nice but not drop dead gorgeous IMO.

Buen camino, Laurie

rawsonc said:
Well that makes things quite interesting for me. A choice of two routes to Friol. I've got a degree in Classical Studies (partly why the route through Lugo draws me in - really looking forward to walking the walls) so I'm being pulled towards the late Roman 'santuario' Santa Eulalia de Boveda rather than following the green arrows across the river out of Lugo. It does sound quite special. Decision made :D Thanks Laurie & Amancio

Chris

re walking the walls at Lugo. It takes just on 30 minutes to walk right around the top of the very impressive wall. I know this because I took a bus to Lugo last year and when I asked to be admitted to the albergue at 3PM I was refused entry until 8PM because I had not walked to Lugo, and the hospitalero wanted to make sure all the walkers and cyclists on the camino had beds before allocating one to me. Walking twice around the wall helped pass some of the time.

Alan

Ah, yes, the lovely hospitalero at Lugo. He is a petty tyrant! And really loves those rules -- the more ridiculous the better. Now I'm not saying that we don't need rules, but he is one of those guys who truly enjoys being able to exercise power over the little folk.

For anyone wanting to spend 2 nights in Lugo so as to be able to see the walls and museum, as well as visit the Cathedral, the hotel Metropol, on C Miguel Cervantes, has a special rate for pilgrims. Sellos are available too from the Cathedral offices, open 10-00 - 12.00.

Ah Laurie, I see you have met the man. When I told him that the reason I came by bus was to act as a hospitalero at a nearby albergue, he merely became more intransigent!

Alan

Though I don't like him at all, I think the albergue is fine. It has two floors with beds (but don't even THINK about going upstairs unless the petty tyrant has told you to), sex-segregated bathrooms, and a fairly decent drying area. Location couldn't be better, it's right inside the walls. The kitchen has absolutely nothing in it except for a chair or two, if memory serves, so don't count on cooking there.

If you'd rather avoid him, but still stay inside the walls, the Pension Alba is a stone's throw from the albergue and just fine. Nothing fancy, but I helped some peregrinos get installed there, and the family was very nice and helpful. And the place is clean as a whistle.

http://www.minube.pt/sitio-preferido/pe ... ba-a178162

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Has anyone done this this year 2015?
I tried in 2014 and got very lost- apparently there is disagreement in the municipality/ junta who have to promote the official primitivo. At the tourist information office in lugo the staff told me they were not allowed to give information on this alternative route. I decided to give it a try. Many green arrows seem to have dissapeared. After some time there were too many green as well as yellow arrows or actually arrows from all kinds of coulours of the Rainbow pointillé out in all directions and i got very lost- while there were hardly any people to be seen who i could ask for directions. In did get lost somewhere before santa eulalia and found myself in what felt like the middle of nowhere. I actually almost never get lost so this was somehow a new experience. In the end I decided to walk along side the road to Friol and finally arrived in Friol- think after more than 12 hours...I found another pilgrim in the hostal benigno there and we received indications from the staff for the route of the next day. I was totally exhausted, but we were well taken care off and had a great meal. The next day we walked together and it went very fine- didnt get lost- and the walk was beautiful. I loved arriving in Sobrado dos Monxes- the monastery and church are something special and i enjoyed going to the vespers. People warned me the way was going to be hard to find and that i would get lost- but still i loved the adventure and taking this alternative route! Has anyone taken this route recently? Would be interested to know more about experiences !

I tried in 2014 and got very lost- apparently there is disagreement in the municipality/ junta who have to promote the official primitivo. At the tourist information office in lugo the staff told me they were not allowed to give information on this alternative route. I decided to give it a try. Many green arrows seem to have dissapeared. After some time there were too many green as well as yellow arrows or actually arrows from all kinds of coulours of the Rainbow pointillé out in all directions and i got very lost- while there were hardly any people to be seen who i could ask for directions. In did get lost somewhere before santa eulalia and found myself in what felt like the middle of nowhere. I actually almost never get lost so this was somehow a new experience. In the end I decided to walk along side the road to Friol and finally arrived in Friol- think after more than 12 hours...I found another pilgrim in the hostal benigno there and we received indications from the staff for the route of the next day. I was totally exhausted, but we were well taken care off and had a great meal. The next day we walked together and it went very fine- didnt get lost- and the walk was beautiful. I loved arriving in Sobrado dos Monxes- the monastery and church are something special and i enjoyed going to the vespers. People warned me the way was going to be hard to find and that i would get lost- but still i loved the adventure and taking this alternative route! Has anyone taken this route recently? Would be interested to know more about experiences !

I hope this thread reactivates! I plan on walking from Oviedo starting 30th and would very much like to take this diversion and spend a night in Sobrado dos Monxes. I would really appreciate simple-ish instructions, without needing to just walk along the road.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi there, @timr. I've done a google search and found this posted by a cyclist. It may be useful:
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1859567

(Google translate)
Alternative to avoid Camino Frances is unofficial and is marked with green arrows instead of the typical yellow, and connects with the Northern Way. The first part of the route, to Friol, is spectacular and incredible trails through forests, although some final stages, before Friol, the brush busy part of the trail, but it goes well.

Last edited:

"And found myself in what a I felt like in the middle of nowhere".

That is an area very wild and unpopulated. It is not easy to find a local to ask.

Hi there, @timr. I've done a google search and found this posted by a cyclist. It may be useful:
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1859567

(Google translate)
Alternative to avoid Camino Frances is unofficial and is marked with green arrows instead of the typical yellow, and connects with the Northern Way. The first part of the route, to Friol, is spectacular and incredible trails through forests, although some final stages, before Friol, the brush busy part of the trail, but it goes well.
@lovingkindness thanks that looks pretty straightforward.

Hi, Primitivo fans,

I hope to walk via Sobrado dos Monxes when I am on the Primitivo this summer. I also want to visit Santa Eulalia and stay in Ponte Ferreira's albergue with @Juanma, so I have gotten help on coming up with an alternative to the Friol option. From Ponte Ferreira to Sobrado looks very straightforward, though mainly on country roads. This would make a two day walk from Lugo to Sobrado.

Day 1 -- Lugo to Santa Eulalia to Ponte Ferreira
Day 2 -- Ponte Ferreira to Sobrado

Some more info here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/lugo-to-sobrado-not-missing-santa-eulalia.24326

With a small group of Camino friends, I walked this route in September 2019. The green markers were still clear. There is a GPS track for the route in the Buen Camino app in the Primitivo guide. It was pretty good but about 100m off for part of the way. Some farmers dont appreciate the trail, perhaps because their animals take it, so there were a couple of barriers but the markers were clear.
We tried to get info in Lugo at the Albergue. They said they didn’t have any and weren’t supposed to encourage that route.
We loved it. Stayed in Friol in Pension Benigno. Perfect.
The cyclist route is on nice roads but the green markers and the GPS path will take you on a lovely wooded walk that wouldn’t work with a bike….

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back