• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route from Norte to Loyola

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese, Aragon, Norte, SJWayUK, Nive
Seeing if anyone has a recommended route from the Camino Norte to Loyola? I’m thinking from Deba or Zarautz, but open to your wisdom. Walking late September 2021

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven’t done it but my two cents from looking at Google Maps: whether you walk from deba or zarautz it will take about 6 hr on highways, roadways and city streets. It’s 3 hr from Zumia but 2-3 hr between zarautz and Zumaia. So to me the question is if you’re trying to save time head south from zarautz or Zumaia. Otherwise how much do you want to see the Norte between zarautz and deba? I liked that stage, I walked the boardwalk to getaria, wandered around there, detoured to see the Andra Mari at San prundentzio

edit: but then, when I changed between caminos I took a train or bus.

I haven’t done it but my two cents from looking at Google Maps: whether you walk from deba or zarautz it will take about 6 hr on highways, roadways and city streets. It’s 3 hr from Zumia but 2-3 hr between zarautz and Zumaia. So to me the question is if you’re trying to save time head south from zarautz or Zumaia. Otherwise how much do you want to see the Norte between zarautz and deba? I liked that stage, I walked the boardwalk to getaria, wandered around there, detoured to see the Andra Mari at San prundentzio

edit: but then, when I changed between caminos I took a train or bus.
My rationale about trains or buses: when you’re trying to link separate caminos you inevitably end up on uninteresting and potentially dangerous roadways, unless there happens to be a beach or hiking trail nearby. There may or may not be pilgrim infrastructure (like bathrooms), and to me it wasted time I could spend on the Camino I was headed toward. That said, since it’s just a six hour walk I can see your interest in trying it and look forward to hearing what you thought of the walk between them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Excellent responses - thank you! My intent is to visit Loyola (I’m Catholic and walked the final stage of the Camino Ignacio in 2018). So the goal is to visit there and then continue on the Norte.

In 2019, I connected the Frances with the Aragones, walking from Pamplona to Lumbier on roads and hiking trails. Turns out it was my favorite two days of the entire walk (Biarritz-SJPdP-Pamplona-Jaca-Lourdes).

The longer I can stay on a Pilgrim trail, the better, so I’ll take a look at Zumia as by detour point.

Excellent responses - thank you! My intent is to visit Loyola (I’m Catholic and walked the final stage of the Camino Ignacio in 2018). So the goal is to visit there and then continue on the Norte.

In 2019, I connected the Frances with the Aragones, walking from Pamplona to Lumbier on roads and hiking trails. Turns out it was my favorite two days of the entire walk (Biarritz-SJPdP-Pamplona-Jaca-Lourdes).

The longer I can stay on a Pilgrim trail, the better, so I’ll take a look at Zumia as by detour point.
That sounds like fun please come back to say how it went.
Edit: sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were walking part of the Norte then switching to the Ignacio.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back