• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route from San Sebastian/Irun to Pamplona?

Richard Ray

Not What He Once Was
Time of past OR future Camino
Does anyone know of an established walking route from San Sebastian or Irun to Pamplona (for the purpose of connecting to the CF)? If so, is it waymarked with albergues? Thanks for any help.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Camino Vasco Interior— was this previously called “the Tunnel Route” or am I thinking of something else?

The Camino Vasco Interior aka "Tunnel Route" doesn't go to Pamplona. (It does go through the charming Basque capital of Vitoria Gasteiz, well worth a visit.)

For an interesting read by a Spanish pilgrim who walked the Camino Vasco Interior and then on to Santiago, check out The Great Westward Walk (El gran caminante) by Antxon González Gabarain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here's the Camino Vasco on Gronze. Take a look at the map.

There is some kind of hiking possible between San Sebastián and Pamplona, because I saw a marked trail with backpackers out my bus window on a trip between those cities, but I don't think it's a pilgrim route and I don't know that it goes all the way to Pamplona. So far my English-language googling hasn't turned up whatever route that was. There are far more trails in Spain than we pilgrims know - the peninsula is criss-crossed with all sorts of paths...

Aloha Richard, I’m considering walking along Antigua Carretera a Sebastian thru Tolosa and Irurtzun myself...otherwise, the day shall call the way. Have you decided your route?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
From San Sebastian to Irun you can walk the Camino Norte in reverse. From there take the GR11 trail to Elizondo with an overnight in Bera (I think there is no albergue but there is supposed to be some type of lodging). Elizondo is on the Camino Baztan which you can take to Pamplona.

The GR11 is a hiking trail that runs the length of the Pyrenees but in that area it is probably just foothills. I haven't been there yet but I think it is supposed to be well marked with red and white markers.

The GR11 is a hiking trail that runs the length of the Pyrenees but in that area it is probably just foothills. I haven't been there yet but I think it is supposed to be well marked with red and white markers.
Rick, thanks very much for that. I'm quite curious about the GR system but I haven't found a user-friendly explanation of it with route maps, etc., in English. Do you know of one?

In 2017, we (four of the 'Baztan 5') walked North up the coast from Irun to near Biarritz on the Voie Littoral, and then followed the Baztanes to Pamplona. It took 6 days and was a gorgeous walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello - I've read that the Irun to San Sebastien stage of the Norte is very beautiful - is it possible and as beautiful walking the reverse - from San Sebastien TO Irun? Or is there a route out of San Sebastien to SJJP?
Thanks!

Hello - I've read that the Irun to San Sebastien stage of the Norte is very beautiful - is it possible and as beautiful walking the reverse - from San Sebastien TO Irun? Or is there a route out of San Sebastien to SJJP?
Thanks!
Since you are walking on the same path regardless of which direction you are going the scenery will be the same.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, yes and no...right? The view ahead (west) might be what's great...and the view East less so? I mean I know we can crank our heads and look back, but just wondered if anyone has a POV or tips...Thanks!

Well, yes and no...right? The view ahead (west) might be what's great...and the view East less so? I mean I know we can crank our heads and look back, but just wondered if anyone has a POV or tips...Thanks!
It's always nice to stop, turn around and look at where you came from. 😊

Thanks!
From Irun you could walk east on the GR11. I believe it crosses the camino somewhere between Roncevalles and Valcarlos.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back