• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

route from sjpdp to santiago

julie creamer

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan on doing the camino starting the 14th nov and completing it within a month. am doing it alone. Lookin for advise...
I'm planning on starting from st jean on the 14th november and getting to santiago within a month. i'm mentally prepared and have been thinking about doing it whenever i got the free time and now here it is. I am looking forward to it but as i'll be doing it alone am just concerned about the route, if its well sign posted or if there is a choice of routes?? also whether there'll be a problem with albergues being closed along the journey?? would be grateful for any adivse. thanks....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hola - a couple of years ago I set out from Saint Jean in 11 November. All was fine. The route is well marked, you won't get lost. At that time there were sufficient albergues open. Ask the hospitaleros as you go along what is open ahead. But go for it - you'll love it!

Buen camino

John

The route is well marked. Most intersections have yellow arrows painted on the road. There are sometimes ceramic camino markers. There are wooden posts with arrows and distances. And near the end there are cement mileposts. You'd think it would be impossible to get lost but it does happen that markings are obscured or missing.

You may have problems if there is snow.

As for albergues ... Last year I obtained a list of association albergues from the pilgrim's office which showed dates of opening. The list was not 100% correct but it meant I never walked further than planned.

Many albergues close from end of October and later in response to the drop in traffic. Around mid November the number of pilgrims drops significantly. The municipal albergues remain open. Many nights I was sharing with only 4 or 5 others.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One month is not enough to reach Santiago from SJPDP.
760 km, 25 a day, one day rest every 6 days, winter, snow, rain. Not enough, sorry.
You will have to check if the pass from SJPDP is not snowed.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola and welcome to the forum

Can you tell us a little about your physical condition, how heavy a backpack you plan to walk with, how experienced you are in walking?
It will be easier to advice you on your plan to walk Camino Frances in a month.
It is possible to walk it in a month, but of course, it will depend on many things, such as injuries, rest days, weather, and such.
In general, I think it most of the time is very difficult to advice anyone in this matter.
The best advice I can give is to get to Saint Jean and start walking.
Go slow the first week to allow your body to adjust to the challenge.
And if possible, don't book your return ticket, so you have some freedom to change your plan.

The Camino Frances is pretty much a one way path, so there are very few possibilities to take a very wrong way.
Once you are on it, you it will show itself to you fast.
Along the Camino there are several waypoints to direct you in the right direction.
The waypoints can be arrows or a scallope shell pictogram.
In general, from Saint Jean until Gallicia, the point where the lines meet on the pictogram, is the direction towards Santiago de Compostela.
In Galicia, the direction is the 180° other way.
(Writing this I am getting unsure if I got this right. Been a while. Maybe an other forum member can confirm this, please).

Regardless, all this is of little matter now.
No one can be told what the Camino is. One has to experience it for oneself.
Prepare yourself for a wonderful time. :)

Buen Camino
Lettingo

camino-de-santiago1.jpg

Hi and welcome Julie!
Yes, one month is a bit tight, especially in winter. Also, if you start from SJPdP it is IMPORTANT to listen to the advice given by the pilgrims office and chose your route accordingly. If they say you can't go the "high route" and have to go the Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles - do so! Last winter several pilgrims had to be rescued on the stretch between SJPdP and Roncesvalles because of the snow and bad preparation.
Buen Camino! SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi and welcome Julie!
Yes, one month is a bit tight, especially in winter. Also, if you start from SJPdP it is IMPORTANT to listen to the advice given by the pilgrims office and chose your route accordingly. If they say you can't go the "high route" and have to go the Valcarlos route to Roncesvalles - do so! Last winter several pilgrims had to be rescued on the stretch between SJPdP and Roncesvalles because of the snow and bad preparation.
Buen Camino! SY

Thanks for this advise SY i will take on board all advise and will not take any risks thats for sure. just wondering also the terrain and surface. is it bitumen?? want to be wearing the right shoes. i do a good bit of walking so hopefully i'l complete it in good time. i might as someone else suggested not book return flight til i arrive??!! there are loadza questions in my head. anyway for now thanks, julie

Hola and welcome to the forum

Can you tell us a little about your physical condition, how heavy a backpack you plan to walk with, how experienced you are in walking?
It will be easier to advice you on your plan to walk Camino Frances in a month.
It is possible to walk it in a month, but of course, it will depend on many things, such as injuries, rest days, weather, and such.
In general, I think it most of the time is very difficult to advice anyone in this matter.
The best advice I can give is to get to Saint Jean and start walking.

Go slow the first week to allow your body to adjust to the challenge.
And if possible, don't book your return ticket, so you have some freedom to change your plan.

The Camino Frances is pretty much a one way path, so there are very few possibilities to take a very wrong way.
Once you are on it, you it will show itself to you fast.
Along the Camino there are several waypoints to direct you in the right direction.
The waypoints can be arrows or a scallope shell pictogram.
In general, from Saint Jean until Gallicia, the point where the lines meet on the pictogram, is the direction towards Santiago de Compostela.
In Galicia, the direction is the 180° other way.
(Writing this I am getting unsure if I got this right. Been a while. Maybe an other forum member can confirm this, please).

Regardless, all this is of little matter now.
No one can be told what the Camino is. One has to experience it for oneself.
Prepare yourself for a wonderful time. :)

Buen Camino
Lettingo

View attachment 6719

Thanks Lettingo for your help. Am well used to walking and this is why i'm thinking that i might manage it within the month. As you've suggested however i might not book my return flight and wait til my arrival instead, altho this might be alot more expensive. tell me this, is going over the pyrenees (sp??) much more challenging or similiar terrain?? just a few
queries, otherwise as you say i have to be there to experience it first hand in order to understand it.
regards,
julie

The route is well marked. Most intersections have yellow arrows painted on the road. There are sometimes ceramic camino markers. There are wooden posts with arrows and distances. And near the end there are cement mileposts. You'd think it would be impossible to get lost but it does happen that markings are obscured or missing.

You may have problems if there is snow.

As for albergues ... Last year I obtained a list of association albergues from the pilgrim's office which showed dates of opening. The list was not 100% correct but it meant I never walked further than planned.

Many albergues close from end of October and later in response to the drop in traffic. Around mid November the number of pilgrims drops significantly. The municipal albergues remain open. Many nights I was sharing with only 4 or 5 others.

Thanks Whari, this is a great help to me, i suppose the fact that i am going it alone means that i'm alittle apprehensive but looking forward all the same to the challenge.

Julie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola - a couple of years ago I set out from Saint Jean in 11 November. All was fine. The route is well marked, you won't get lost. At that time there were sufficient albergues open. Ask the hospitaleros as you go along what is open ahead. But go for it - you'll love it!

Buen camino

John

thanks john for this, nice to have an idea as to what lies ahead. I'l prepare for all weathers and at the same time try to travel as light as possible.

Julie

Thanks for this advise SY i will take on board all advise and will not take any risks thats for sure. just wondering also the terrain and surface. is it bitumen?? want to be wearing the right shoes. i do a good bit of walking so hopefully i'l complete it in good time. i might as someone else suggested not book return flight til i arrive??!! there are loadza questions in my head. anyway for now thanks, julie

Camino surfaces range from concrete and bitumen (mainly in urban areas) to gravel and mud. Most of it is metalled gravel suitable for driving.

You will be walking late in season. It will be darker even in daylight hours. Much of the road is shared with vehicles. You are advised to wear bright clothing.

Terrain is varied. Long uphill followed by long downhill followed by long flats. (There is at least twice as much uphill as there is downhill ...) There is no technically difficult or potentially dangerous terrain. The main risks are bad weather in the mountain passes of which there are three.

The route Napoleon has a history of occasional deaths (one every few years) mainly because it is exposed to weather and there is no place to take shelter; its a long day even in good conditions. The chronology appears to be disorentation in cloud or snow followed by hypothemia and accident. Get advice from the Pilgrims Office before setting out. Look out for each other even if you don't know them.

I'm not a keeper of the statistics. My sense is that more pilgrims die in conflicts with vehicles than from encounters with bad weather ... just to keep things in perspective.

It is possible to walk in trailrunners. Light hiking shoes might be more appropriate. Look for shoes that fit and provide good support even when carrying a pack. If they give you blisters in your practice walks get a different pair. Weather will be cool enough that you won't want to stop to deal with hot spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lettingo for your help. Am well used to walking and this is why i'm thinking that i might manage it within the month. As you've suggested however i might not book my return flight and wait til my arrival instead, altho this might be alot more expensive. tell me this, is going over the pyrenees (sp??) much more challenging or similiar terrain?? just a few
queries, otherwise as you say i have to be there to experience it first hand in order to understand it.
regards,
julie

Hola Julie

Walking over the Pyrenees, either by the valley or the peak, is in my opinion a challenge for any pilgrim starting in Saint Jean. It is around a 1450 m or 1050 m accent over 22 km. In other words, it is uphill :)
My experience is that most people can do this. Either in one or two days, if the weather allows it.
It's a magnificent and demanding experience.
What makes it hard is not the accent, but that it is the first day, when departing from Saint Jean.
Even with preparations and training, the body most likely will scream; what are you doing to me?
Once over, and in Roncesvalles, it will become much easier for several days.
Time to allow your body to cope with your plan.

One way to think of the Camino is in weeks instead of 8-900 km walking.
First week; hard physical experience, friendships build, inner change.
Second week; joy of overcoming the first week, landscapes and nature changing, food, comfort accepting the unexpected.
Third; Injuries, see you laters and hellos, impatiences, strength, injuries.
Fourth; Amazement, determination, 40+ km, fatigue.
Maybe other members can add to the list.

In other words: As you are experienced in walking, I feel confident enough to say again; get yourself to Saint Jean and take it one day at the time.
Ask the locals for advice about the Camino, good restaurants, history, weather.
Be wise, and keep company when you feel you need it. (Do not pass the Pyrenees alone. Why would one?
Sharing is dividing the burden and doubling the experience).

About your air ticket.
It sounds to me as if you have options to go either 4 or 5 weeks.
To book a long flight ticket late can be very expensive so this should obviously be avoided.
If you fly internal Europe, late tickets will not vary much whether you book early or late (buy insurance to reschedule cheap).
Anyhow. If you have the option, then book now; give yourself 5 weeks.
4 weeks to Santiago, couple of rest days, walk to Finisterre/Muxia.
Allows you to take it easy along the path.
Or just go with your gut feeling; 4 weeks.
I walked it comfortable in 27 days and had an experience of a lifetime, so yes, you are on the right track.
Your Camino has already begun. Take it one day at the time.

Buen camino
Lettingo

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One month is not enough to reach Santiago from SJPDP.
760 km, 25 a day, one day rest every 6 days, winter, snow, rain. Not enough, sorry.
You will have to check if the pass from SJPDP is not snowed.

Thanks for the advise but i think i'll manage it within the month - lettinggo did it comfortably in 27 days. This is a great boost.
Julie

Hola Julie

Walking over the Pyrenees, either by the valley or the peak, is in my opinion a challenge for any pilgrim starting in Saint Jean. It is around a 1450 m or 1050 m accent over 22 km. In other words, it is uphill :)
My experience is that most people can do this. Either in one or two days, if the weather allows it.
It's a magnificent and demanding experience.
What makes it hard is not the accent, but that it is the first day, when departing from Saint Jean.
Even with preparations and training, the body most likely will scream; what are you doing to me?
Once over, and in Roncesvalles, it will become much easier for several days.
Time to allow your body to cope with your plan.

One way to think of the Camino is in weeks instead of 8-900 km walking.
First week; hard physical experience, friendships build, inner change.
Second week; joy of overcoming the first week, landscapes and nature changing, food, comfort accepting the unexpected.
Third; Injuries, see you laters and hellos, impatiences, strength, injuries.
Fourth; Amazement, determination, 40+ km, fatigue.
Maybe other members can add to the list.

In other words: As you are experienced in walking, I feel confident enough to say again; get yourself to Saint Jean and take it one day at the time.
Ask the locals for advice about the Camino, good restaurants, history, weather.
Be wise, and keep company when you feel you need it. (Do not pass the Pyrenees alone. Why would one?
Sharing is dividing the burden and doubling the experience).

About your air ticket.
It sounds to me as if you have options to go either 4 or 5 weeks.
To book a long flight ticket late can be very expensive so this should obviously be avoided.
If you fly internal Europe, late tickets will not vary much whether you book early or late (buy insurance to reschedule cheap).
Anyhow. If you have the option, then book now; give yourself 5 weeks.
4 weeks to Santiago, couple of rest days, walk to Finisterre/Muxia.
Allows you to take it easy along the path.
Or just go with your gut feeling; 4 weeks.
I walked it comfortable in 27 days and had an experience of a lifetime, so yes, you are on the right track.
Your Camino has already begun. Take it one day at the time.

Buen camino
Lettingo

Thanks Lettingo alot, you have given me a boost and courage that it is doable. i have booked a return flight and will go with, as you say the weeks and not think about the overall milege and work on it from there.
Julie

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back