• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Route from Trieste, Italy to Spain

Eva Guðbjörg

Time of past OR future Camino
EPW
Hey,
I am looking for a route that starts in Trieste, Italy and goes to Santiago de Compostela, do you have any suggestions ? :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey,
I am looking for a route that starts in Trieste, Italy and goes to Santiago de Compostela, do you have any suggestions ? :)
Hi,

Scroll down the main page to the sub-forums and you'll find info there.
Or simply use Search function with Trieste as a keyword.

Happy planning!

It’s very possible to walk from Trieste to Venice, just follow the coastal roads. If you are so inclined, you can hop on a ferry or two for parts of it. When I walked that stretch, I made up my own route using maps.me and followed footpaths and roads. Some road portions need good care.

The camino is marked after Venice, I believe. It’s likely marked before that, but I made my own route, with St Mark’s my destination, after walking to Trieste from Bratislava.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey,
Hi Eva
@KinkyOne above posted some interesting info on this thread. (Go to his post #10)

A preview is this screen shot of the hiking map trails linked in that post. There is something for everyone in that file !! Have a look at the hiking trails link

Buen camino/s.
Annie

Attachments

• C1E7FBF7-6B41-48CD-B3BC-15E3AA56BF9A.jpeg
    C1E7FBF7-6B41-48CD-B3BC-15E3AA56BF9A.jpeg
    820.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Hi Eva
@KinkyOne above posted some interesting info on this thread. (Go to his post #10)

A preview is this screen shot of the hiking map trails linked in that post. There is something for everyone in that file !! Have a look at the hiking trails link

Buen camino/s.
Annie
True but mentioned link/map is pretty scarce with St.James Ways outside Spain, Portugal & France. Mostly there are E routes and other National routes like Slovenian Mountain Trail.

But here is a map with St.James Ways in Europe. Also through Northern Italy and even with all four branches of the Slovenian St.James Way:

Otherwise more info here on the forum at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/europe.90/

On April 26, I should have left Budapest to join Santiago. I should have hiked through Hungary, Slovenia, northern Italy, southern France. From Trieste, I would have walked on Via Flavia, then Via Postumia, Via della Costa, Via Aurelia to arrive in Arles and take Via Tolosana.
See the website http://viapostumia.eu/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Attachments

• 01via-pannonia-budapest-zsambek.gpx
    491.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 02-via-pannonia-vaszoly-nemesnep.gpx
    427.1 KB · Views: 3
  • jakobova-pot-da-lubiana-al-confine-ungherese.gpx
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • JakobovaPotDaLubianaATrieste.gpx
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • via-flavia-percorso-standard-collegato-al-cammino-iacobeo-za.gpx
    337.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 1-via-postumia-aquileia-treviso.gpx
    359.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 2-via-postumia-treviso-vicenza.gpx
    164.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-via-postumia-vicenza-peschiera-del-garda.gpx
    262.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-via-postumia-peschiera-del-garda-sabbioneta.gpx
    240.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 5-via-postumia-sabbioneta-cremona.gpx
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
Voie Aurelienne
Via Tolosana

Attachments

• Gr653aDaArlesAEguiles.gpx
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Gr653aDaEguilesALeVal.gpx
    115.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Gr653aDaLeValAMandelieuLeNapoule.gpx
    188.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Gr653aDaMandelieuLaNapouleAMentone.gpx
    235.4 KB · Views: 0
  • gr653a.gpx
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
  • gr653b.gpx
    199.8 KB · Views: 0
  • gr653c.gpx
    166.1 KB · Views: 0
  • gr653d.gpx
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
  • gr653e.gpx
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
  • gr653f.gpx
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I hope it'll be possible to hike from Budapest to Santiago this year. It was impossible in 2020 ! Andrea Vitiello makes a great job !

But here is a map with St.James Ways in Europe. Also through Northern Italy and even with all four branches of the Slovenian St.James Way:
That is a fabulous map!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
That would be a lot like the Jerusalem Way in reverse -- the most traditional route would be Trieste > Venice > Verona > Bergamo > Milan > Turin (there's a variant via Parma > Piacenza > Milan ; but Piacenza is rather industrialised and polluted) -- then either the southern Francigena/northern Provençal down to Avignon or Arles > Arles Way from St Gilles > etc ; or start that, but switch at Briançon to Grenoble > Valence > Le Puy > etc.

Historically, I'd suspect that more would have taken the southerly route, for the somewhat lesser difficulty ; and via Avignon rather than Arles as it had the famous bridge.

Back