• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route from vila de conda to sao pedro de rates

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I see you put a longer question in your profile post, asking about starting in Porto as well. But I guess most people won't have seen that. So I'll attempt to answer the whole question here. I'd say:
There are quite a few threads about this on the forum.
Opinions about where to start from in Porto tend to be divided along the lines of how far you want to walk. There are a couple of options for walking out of Porto - the longest route is from the centre, round the mouth of the river Douro until it becomes the coast. You can also walk through town (about 4km less) starting on the camino and then turn left down the long straight Avenida da Boavista and go directly to the coast (easy to see in google maps - or any other map).
With that option you'll hit the sea just before Matosinhos. Matosinhos is probably the most popular starting point on this forum, as you just get out of the metro there and start walking!
Walking up the coast is easy enough. A few km before Vilar do Conde there's a lot of scrubland and fewer markers (when I did it) but it's pretty straightforward to head for the one bridge over the rio Ave (about 800m inland).
Try and get to Vilar with enough time and energy to climb the hill above to the convent and amazing Roman Aqueduct where you can look back miles along the coast and see your day's work behind you.
Back in the mists of time there was little signage from Conde to Rates. Early threads about this refuse to die, and keep coming back to concern new pilgrims. But it's all fine. And if you ever hesitate at a junction a friendly local will be only too happy to assit.
Finally, try and get the pilgrim stamp from the shop in Rates as it's a good'un.

Last edited:
Check out the TrailSmart (Trekopedia) app...it shows the route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used the TrailSmart app as recommended above, but it was pretty straightforward. When you enter Vila do Conde you cross a bridge over the river. As soon as you cross the bridge, turn right and walk along the river. You are now on the route to Arcos and Rates. You will have the river to the right and the convent at the top of the hill to your left. Shortly, you will see plenty of yellow arrows. Follow them to the Central route at Arcos. From there, the Central route will take you to Rates.

If you reach Vila do Conde by day, it might be worthwhile to (pack-less and in daylight) scope out the way out of town - back three years ago ("in the mists of time"?) several of us had a problem finding the arrows pointing the way, and that early, there weren't all that many local people around - as I recall, not everyone even agreed where it was. I remember excitedly finding an arrow painted on the street - we'd been thinking they'd be on building walls.

If you reach Vila do Conde by day, it might be worthwhile to (pack-less and in daylight) scope out the way out of town - back three years ago ("in the mists of time"?) several of us had a problem finding the arrows pointing the way, and that early, there weren't all that many local people around - as I recall, not everyone even agreed where it was. I remember excitedly finding an arrow painted on the street - we'd been thinking they'd be on building walls.
The tourist office in Vila do Conde gave us a very helpful map/ handout that showed the route clearly. ( and hello KariC! I met you at Fernandas and several places after that, we were the 4 women from Canada)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back