• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route Napolean versus Valcarlos

Ray Boneski

Ray B
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances from Bordeaux March-April 2017
Will the Route Napoleon be open and relatively safe for a mid to late October start date? Or should I plan to take Valcarlos Route? Thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 'official' closure date of the Route Napoleon is the end of October. The advice of the Pilgrims' Office in StJdP should be obtained on the eve/day of your departure. No need to plan. Make a decision on the available local information at your time of departure. Both routes get you to the same place for about the same amount of effort over similar walking times. One just goes a little bit higher and is more exposed in inclement weather.

Will the Route Napoleon be open and relatively safe for a mid to late October start date? Or should I plan to take Valcarlos Route? Thanks.
The Valcarlos route is great to walk according to my wife anyway she walked the Valcarlos route in 2013.
It's a great alternative for the Napolean
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That decision at that time of the day can really be made only max 3 days beforehand as so much depends on the weather forecast. So, get yourself to SJPdP, check the weather forecast with the pilgrims office and decide then. Buen Camino, SY

I love the Valcarlos Route, which somehow people have a view of as 'not as good as' or 'not the real Camino'.
I don't get it. This path is quite beautiful and as 'authentic' (whatever that is) as the Napoleon.
But whatever. That makes it the quieter way.:cool:

So you can't go wrong--and as others have said, no need to plan. Wait until you get there, ask at the pilgrim's office, see what the weather's doing...and then decide. (And regardless of the weather, maybe just see which way the feet end up going in the morning...;))

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
napolean has some hostels about 10km up. valcaros is a all day commitment.

Just be sure of a bit of clarity...
There are two accomondations on the Napolean route (Orisson & Hunto) both at about 7.5 km.
They have limited space available

Actually, there are more and varied accommodation available in Valcarlos.
The myths surrounding the Napoleon route make it sound like the preferred route...and easier. Don't believe it. They are similar in difficulty and both are very doable by all but the physically challenged.
Hard because it is the first day..but doable.
Remember that the vast majority walk through to Roncesvalles in one day so stopping on the way should lessen the difficulty.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
2004%25202.JPG

Here is a modern print depicting Charlemagne mounted finding Roland dead in August 778 on what would later be known as the Valcarlos route near Roncevalles. (For a further description of this scene see this Roncevalles monastery history page) Hence the village of Valcarlos was named in honor of Carlos ie. Charlemagne. For more on the history and toponymy of the village see this Wikipedia entry in Spanish.

It may come as a surprise but the Valcarlos route was THE original medieval pilgrims' path through the mountain pass to Roncevalles; the present Napoleon camino over the mountains to Roncevalles is later.

In winter/spring the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncevalles is often filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate. You can read about this hazardous situation in the Forum topic. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/topic16961.html

Whatever the season always ask for advice at the SJPdP Pilgrim office before setting out on either route !

For more in praise of the Valcarlos route see this earlier Forum thread.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
2004%25202.JPG

Here is a modern print depicting Charlemagne mounted finding Roland dead in August 778 on the Valcarlos route near Roncevalles. (For a further description of this scene see this Roncevalles monastery history page) Hence the village of Valcarlos was named in honor of Carlos ie. Charlemagne.

It may come as a surprise but the Valcarlos route was THE original medieval pilgrims' path through the mountain pass to Roncevalles; the present Napoleon camino over the mountains to Roncevalles is later.

In winter/spring the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncevalles is often filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate. You can read about this hazardous situation in the Forum topic. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-frances/topic16961.html

Whatever the season always ask for advice at the SJPdP Pilgrim office before setting out on either route !

For more in praise of the Valcarlos route see this earlier Forum thread.

Buen Camino!
This is the best advice any pilgrim could get regarding these two routes IMO.
Thank you Margaret.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just be sure of a bit of clarity...
There are two accomondations on the Napolean route (Orisson & Hunto) both at about 7.5 km.
They have limited space available

Actually, there are more and varied accommodation available in Valcarlos.
The myths surrounding the Napoleon route make it sound like the preferred route...and easier. Don't believe it. They are similar in difficulty and both are very doable by all but the physically challenged.
Hard because it is the first day..but doable.
Remember that the vast majority walk through to Roncesvalles in one day so stopping on the way should lessen the difficulty.
thanks for the clarity of my misinformation

Find your pace..others will go ahead and you may pass others. I remember saying to my friend Dave on day 3 " I actually am about to pass somebody!!
It took us 15 days to actually pass someone walking. She was in sight for about an hour and we managed to pass her about a minute before she stopped for the day. :)

Had a lovely day in Valcarlos route today .... Staying overnight as I wish to take my time .... It was plenty steep enough for good aerobic workout .... Started out totally alone which was lovely and then then a group of three caught up and we walked together ... Took 4 hrs with a stop .... They went on to RONCESSVAILLES ... But there are a few others here so I will new people tomorrow .... Weather was lovely ... Cool over caste no rain ...

Anne

LOW ROUTE ?? :rolleyes: What low route ??? The only way to get over a mountain is UP !!!! :D ... Did it today ... It was tough ... But rescued by a spaniard and a Spanish speaking Canadian :cool:.... It was a great day ... Enjoying wine in RONCESSVAILLES ...

In 2013 I walked the Napoleon route with a stop in Orrison. I had a amazing time and meet some life long friends in Orisson. Next May , 2017 I plan on doing the Valcarlos route with a stop in Valcarlos. I expect it will be just as amazing as the Napoleon route but different.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good evening to you all and thank you for the informative comments in this thread on the lower route. I plan to start walking from StJPdP on 19 April 2017 and, regardless of the weather forecast for the Napoleon Route, I am intending to take 2 days to get up to Roncevalles and walk via Valcarlos. When bad weather forces the Napoleon to close is it often the case that accommodation in the Valcarlos Municipal Alberque becomes completo or do the majority of pilgrims walk on through? If the Alburque beds fill quickly then Id rather opt to book a private bed for a night in Valcarlos, any recommendations?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
LOW ROUTE ?? :rolleyes: What low route ??? The only way to get over a mountain is UP !!!! :D ... Did it today ... It was tough ... But rescued by a spaniard and a Spanish speaking Canadian :cool:.... It was a great day ... Enjoying wine in RONCESSVAILLES ...
@Annie Little Was there lots of snow? Did you walk the road all the way or take the paths? Was it really cold?
You may have guessed I'm walking the Valcarlos route beginning April and am clearly showing my anxieties. :)
Buen camino. Hope your camino is everything that you expect it to be and more.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.