• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route Napoleon Closed

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
L'Esprit du Chemin Facebook - about an hour ago

Route Napoleon (red/rouge/rojo/rot/rood)
- the weather has changed, the route is closed
- le temps a changé, la route est fermée
- el tiempo ha cambiado, la ruta está cerrada
- das Wetter hat sich verändert, die Route ist zu
- het weer is omgeslagen, de route is weer dicht

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked over the Napoleon in a snow/sleet storm on 2 May last year so still time for weather opportunities. Bright sunshine on 1 May andthen on the next day there was 2 inches plus of snow above Orrison with fog, wind, pretty heavy snow and sleet.
The route was closed but I did not get the word due to the brilliant weather the day before.

Actually, I enjoyed it. 8)

light weight hiking pants, rain pants +- thermals (polypro)
hiking shoes
merino tank top (singlet)
light weight hiking shirt
polartec fleece
light rain coat
hat
+ 20kg extra insulation (=fat). Fortunately pack wt <8kg (I hope)
Will this get me over the mountain on April 24 ?
Will gaiters help with mud?
Thx in advance

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
frasert said:
hiking shoes
polartec fleece
light rain coat
hat
Thx in advance
Will this get you over the pass? If you manage to see the yellow arrows, yes! if not, no! Anne

Depends on the weather. Your gear won't keep you alive if you have to stop in bad weather. Come what may you will have to keep moving for the full distance; there is only one shelter after Orisson.

20kgs of extra fat will help stave off hypothermia but will also slow your progress ...

Gaiters are good for keeping debris, including mud, out of your boots.

What do you mean by light raincoat? A good rain jacket is essential. An improved garbage bag style rain jacket is not enough.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If pilgrims go against the advice of the locals and have to be rescued, they will have to pay for the rescue service.
Even expereinced hikers have been caught in bad weather and a number have lost their lives.
If one decides to take the risk, have a cell phone, a survival blanket, a bright orange flag or Something else bright that rescue workers can see and water in case they cant reach you for days in storng blizzards and snow storms.

frasert said:
hiking shoes
polartec fleece
light rain coat
hat
Thx in advance

It really depends on the weather that day and on your condition. Make sure to ask in SJPDP for advice about what route to take and follow it. Another good idea, if you are not so fit, is walking the first day only to Orrison or Hunto and the following day to Roncesvalles. Make sure you reserve your bed in Hunto or Orrison well in advance, SY

Thx already booked Orrison, hopefully can still go to there even if then have to shuttle elsewhere if the rest of the route is closed. Thanks for all the advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pilgrims! If it is red flagged and closed then it is closed! It isn't whether you can make it or not - it is closed - people die up there and then other people have to risk their lives looking for the body.

Let us be reasonable here, this is a mountain and one pilgrim has already died this year :cry:

Re: Re: ROUTE NAPOLEON CLOSED

David said:
Pilgrims! If it is red flagged and closed then it is closed! It isn't whether you can make it or not - it is closed - people die up there and then other people have to risk their lives looking for the body.

Let us be reasonable here, this is a mountain and one pilgrim has already died this year :cry:

Well said.

Is there any way I can see if the Napoleon Route is closed by looking at my computer? If so, what's the Link? We don't leave until the 3rd May and anything can happen between now & then, but am I I to believe from this post that the route is closed at the moment or are these "Warnings" about heeding the "red" signs?
By the way, all good advice about not crossing the P's if warned not to...
Thanks
Enrica

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
healthytoo said:
Is there any way I can see if the Napoleon Route is closed by looking at my computer? If so, what's the Link? We don't leave until the 3rd May and anything can happen between now & then, but am I I to believe from this post that the route is closed at the moment or are these "Warnings" about heeding the "red" signs?
By the way, all good advice about not crossing the P's if warned not to...
Thanks
Enrica

There is no need to check if the pass is closed until the day before you are leaving SJPdP.
Simply check at the Pilgrim Office when you arrive and they will update you along with everyone else. Your albergue will also have the latest weather information on the pass.
You will be going to the Pilgrim Office for a sello and a shell anyway.

It is not as big a deal if it is closed as the Valcarlos route will be open and is a fantastic way to cross the mountain. I have done both personally think Valcarlos way is easily as beautiful as the Route Napoleon...especially if there is fog or rain on the Napoleon when you cannot see anything.

Don't worry too much and just take it as it comes. Either way will be hard and rewarding.

Frasert you're not thinking of sneaking those "chooks" into your pack are you" You'd have about 5 kg right there :lol: :lol: :lol:

When they say "closed" it means the local police is on alert and can stop you there. No kidding. Check at the pilgrims info center couple of days before you leave.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes the chooks will help me "fly" over.
Is it possible to get from orrison to the lower route? Or should I just forsake my booking there and toke the alternative route if closed.

frasert said:
Is it possible to get from orrison to the lower route? Or should I just forsake my booking there and toke the alternative route if closed.

Frasert, I haven't done it myself, but there are several posts in the forum that state that Orisson's owner will arrange transport to Valcarlos if the Route Napoleon is closed/dangerous. I'd say go on to Orisson and see what transpires. They will definitely give you proper advice/help there. Buen camino!

I have heard that Jean-Jacque, the proprietor of Orisson, has personally driven pilgrims from Orisson to Valcarlos. You could also ask him to call a taxi for you, and I'm sure he'd oblige.

From Pamplona now, the weather is very changeable between SJPP and Pamplona. The people who came over from SJPP on Tuesday (16th) had a still 30 degrees in blazing sunshine. Those who came over the next day (17th) walked in gale-force winds and had a really tough time of it. Then the rain moved in and we were looking back at a dark and ominous mountain range. I am not surprised the pass was 'closed' to walkers.

Buen Camino to everyone starting this week from SJPP! However you go, it will be fantastic. See you on the trail...

Nancy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Before to start on this step it's better to ask about the weather at pilgrim's office 39 rue de la citadelle in St Jean Pied de Port. There is a forecast station in this office since 2 months

Monasp said:
Before to start on this step it's better to ask about the weather at pilgrim's office 39 rue de la citadelle in St Jean Pied de Port. There is a forecast station in this office since 2 months

Welcome to the forum Monasp.

It is great to have someone from the St. Jean Office on the forum.

grayland said:
The route was closed but I did not get the word due to the brilliant weather the day before.

Actually, I enjoyed it. 8)

Better be careful with your enjoyment. People might start accusing you of being an adrenaline junkie and irresponsible. ;o)

-- Ryan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
nreyn12 said:
I have heard that Jean-Jacque, the proprietor of Orisson, has personally driven pilgrims from Orisson to Valcarlos.
He's also driven a few mad. Don't we just love the variety and flavour of folks we meet along the way.

Regds
Gerard

Posted in Facebook (L'Esprit du Chemin) just an hour ago! :)

Route Napoléon: open / ouvert / abierto / offen / open !!!
- the snow is almost gone, nature bursts out
- la neige a presque disparu, la nature éclate
- la nieve casi ha desaparecido, la naturaleza estalla
- der Schnee ist fast weg, die Natur platzt aus
- de sneeuw is bijna weg, de natuur barst los

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Unfortunately no. I tried to book today but the reservations are full. :(

We crossed the high route Napoleon on Saturday and it was lovely. Just patches of snow beside the trail and a few small patches to walk through. It was pretty windy and cold though.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not yet. I was surprised reservation has to be done so early. They are fully booked (for reservations) until end of May. :(

walked the route napoleon on 20th. Two days ago. It was cold and misty but safe . x

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Al, will start walking on the 9th. When will you start?

Al the optimist said:
Don't worry, there are plenty of places in SJPdP. You didn't say when you plan on being there.

Thank you! I just saw in Facebook earlier that they expect snow over the weekend. :cry:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back