A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

Route Napoleon winter closure reminder

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
A Navarra website has published a reminder that the high-level route from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles via the Col de Lepoeder is officially closed from 1 November to 31 March. This will be the fourth year in which the route has been closed over the winter months by local law for the safety of prospective pilgrims and the rescue teams who in the past have often been called out in severe weather to rescue those who have endangered themselves and their rescuers by ill-prepared attempts at the crossing.

https://www.diariodenavarra.es/noti...lado-lepoeder-camino-santiago-617284-300.html

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
A Navarra website has published a reminder that the high-level route from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles via the Col de Lepoeder is officially closed from 1 November to 31 March. This will be the fourth year in which the route has been closed over the winter months by local law for the safety of prospective pilgrims and the rescue teams who in the past have often been called out in severe weather to rescue those who have endangered themselves and their rescuers by ill-prepared attempts at the crossing.

https://www.diariodenavarra.es/noti...lado-lepoeder-camino-santiago-617284-300.html

I really really hope that next season we will not have to read about rescue actions!

MsBeckyO

Camino(s) past & future
Starting 2nd November 2018
Thanks for the reminder. I start on 3rd November. So nervous!!
I was originally looking forward to walking over the Pyranees but I looked at the Valcarlos route and it looks beautiful too.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
I start on 3rd November. So nervous!!
The Valcarlos route will not disappoint, Becky. It is gorgeous. And it is the more authentic way as well. The primacy of the Napoleon is a recent development, helped along by the mythology of Hollywood, Shirley Maclaine, and Paulo Coelho. But your footsteps will be treading the older route.
May you have a very Buen Camino!

Monasp

I'm a manager of pilgrims office in SJPP
Camino(s) past & future
Camino in 2008.
The Valcarlos route will not disappoint, Becky. It is gorgeous. And it is the more authentic way as well. The primacy of the Napoleon is a recent development, helped along by the mythology of Hollywood, Shirley Maclaine, and Paulo Coelho. But your footsteps will be treading the older route.
May you have a very Buen Camino!
The first Camino starts at St Michel and don't go by Valcarlos

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
I arrived on a Wednesday in SJPdP in late April last year, and the pass was closed due to snowing, Thursday, I chose to take the Valcarlos and it was quiet and beautiful, traffic stretches excepted and the sudden rise from 400 mtrs to 1000 after Valcarlos itself took my last reserves of air.
As soon as I entered the Roncevalles Monastery, it started to snow !
You have got to have a certain amount of respect for the Pyrenees...

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 9 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 34 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 112 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 187 24.6%