• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Route Napoleon

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Closed today and Pilgrim office says tomorrow too.
Thank you for the update. Do they specifically indicate why the route is closed? I'll be there in a couple of weeks and I'm really hoping it's not because there is too much snow anymore! ;)

Last edited:
Do they specifically indicate why? I'm really hoping it's not because there is too much snow! ;)
Just said the police had closed it due to snow and gave a stern talk about incurring rescue costs if you took the Napoleon and got into trouble. I'm in Valcarlos now. Weather in St Jean and here quite pleasant, mostly sunny, occasional strong winds, blowing against you of course.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
RESPECT snow! It may just be water with attitude, but it has no feelings. It WILL kill you if you do not treat it with extreme deference.

Local officials decided to crank up the tone of posted alerts and warnings about attempting the Napoleon Pass if there was snow on the ground after repeated mountain rescues of folks from all over the world. This is serious stuff folks! It is NOT Euro Disney. People get hypothermia, if they are lucky, or suffer serious injuries, or worse, every year.

Local governments, already in tight fiscal conditions cannot afford to go out and rescue every ill prepared, ill trained or inexperienced hiker or pilgrim they encounter. That is why both the French AND Spanish jurisdictions, all along the Camino have resorted to billing rescued hikers and pilgrims if their situation is determined to have been a case of "you should have known better..."

When all other measures to protect people against misplaced hubris, hitting them in the proverbial wallet gets the point across every time. It also sends the message that this is in fact a life and death issue and the authorities have simply had enough with stupid, over confident, or ill prepared pilgrims.

As an FYI, I have spoken with pilgrims who related stories of friends or members of their "Camino family" being billed for rescue all along, at least the Camino Frances. One "famous" story dates from mid-May 2013.

Two male pilgrims coming off Cruz de Ferro proceeded to take the arrow-marked path through the woods, despite the fact that it was actually snowing and there was already about 10 cm of wet snow on the ground. All the other pilgrims walked single-file down the winding road, facing oncoming traffic. These two made a verbal, conscious decision to "suffer like a true pilgrim..."

The snow had obscured the arrows and the pilgrims had no idea where they were. They were also wearing short pants and blue jeans, respectively. Only one had a mobile phone and knew to dial 112.

Rescuers found them before they succumbed from hypothermia. I was told they were presented a bill for €1,500 for their rescue in the hospital emergency room.

The version I heard had these "bright stars" leaving the country less than 24-hours later. Who knows if they paid up? I doubt it.

From what I knew first-hand if these two folks, €1,500 was likely more money than they had ever seen in one place at one time in their lives. One presumes they got the message: "Stupid is not only painful, it is expensive..."

Now, there is simply no excuse. If the rescue teams retrieve your remains from the Napoleon Pass because you did something dumb, well, I guess you avoid paying...

Thanks for that! I hope you have a wonderful path ahead. Buen Camino, Lachance!
Hi Plod, just to let you know, people are still going via Napoleon despite the warnings. Spoke to 2 guys today who stayed at Orisson on Tue and crossed yesterday. They said there were a couple of slippery bits covered in snow, otherwise ok. Strong, icy winds which I struck on the final stretch as well. The hospitalero at Orisson was offering to was ferry packs to the end of the road. Everything Tom says is spot on. With a bit of luck, it should be all clear when you go though.
Buen camino
Deb

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm rooting for luck then with fingers crossed! Thanks again, Deb, for those updates. I agree with Tom's caution above about the lurking dangers of snow. I doubt I'd tempt fate if there was a warning when I do get there. I'm from Canada, and even though I have this weird love - hate relationship with the cold and snow, I definitely respect its power. Here's to plenty of sun and warmth along the way!

Closed today and Pilgrim office says tomorrow too.
Today is Friday April 15. I just got off the train from Bayonne. 72 degrees F. I'm in my shorts,T shirt and flip flops having a cold adult beverage. Stopped by the pilgrim office and got my credential. Napoleon is OPEN!!!! Now..... that could change as we all know but for now the birds are singing and the hills are as green as Ireland. Reservation paid at Orisson. Hoping I can hang out on the deck. My first Camino. I'm off!!! Woohoo!!!

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Today is Friday April 15. I just got off the train from Bayonne. 72 degrees F. I'm in my shorts,T shirt and flip flops having a cold adult beverage. Stopped by the pilgrim office and got my credential. Napoleon is OPEN!!!! Now..... that could change as we all know but for now the birds are singing and the hills are as green as Ireland. Reservation paid at Orisson. Hoping I can hang out on the deck. My first Camino. I'm off!!! Woohoo!!!
I will add a Yahooo to your Woohoo!! It will be starting in 3.5 weeks.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
RESPECT snow! It may just be water with attitude, but it has no feelings. It WILL kill you if you do not treat it with extreme deference.

Local officials decided to crank up the tone of posted alerts and warnings about attempting the Napoleon Pass if there was snow on the ground after repeated mountain rescues of folks from all over the world. This is serious stuff folks! It is NOT Euro Disney. People get hypothermia, if they are lucky, or suffer serious injuries, or worse, every year.

Local governments, already in tight fiscal conditions cannot afford to go out and rescue every ill prepared, ill trained or inexperienced hiker or pilgrim they encounter. That is why both the French AND Spanish jurisdictions, all along the Camino have resorted to billing rescued hikers and pilgrims if their situation is determined to have been a case of "you should have known better..."

When all other measures to protect people against misplaced hubris, hitting them in the proverbial wallet gets the point across every time. It also sends the message that this is in fact a life and death issue and the authorities have simply had enough with stupid, over confident, or ill prepared pilgrims.

As an FYI, I have spoken with pilgrims who related stories of friends or members of their "Camino family" being billed for rescue all along, at least the Camino Frances. One "famous" story dates from mid-May 2013.

Two male pilgrims coming off Cruz de Ferro proceeded to take the arrow-marked path through the woods, despite the fact that it was actually snowing and there was already about 10 cm of wet snow on the ground. All the other pilgrims walked single-file down the winding road, facing oncoming traffic. These two made a verbal, conscious decision to "suffer like a true pilgrim..."

The snow had obscured the arrows and the pilgrims had no idea where they were. They were also wearing short pants and blue jeans, respectively. Only one had a mobile phone and knew to dial 112.

Rescuers found them before they succumbed from hypothermia. I was told they were presented a bill for €1,500 for their rescue in the hospital emergency room.

The version I heard had these "bright stars" leaving the country less than 24-hours later. Who knows if they paid up? I doubt it.

From what I knew first-hand if these two folks, €1,500 was likely more money than they had ever seen in one place at one time in their lives. One presumes they got the message: "Stupid is not only painful, it is expensive..."

Now, there is simply no excuse. If the rescue teams retrieve your remains from the Napoleon Pass because you did something dumb, well, I guess you avoid paying...
Very clear !
People don't really care about their life?
Don't kill your self snow and freezing temperature are very serious matter.
It's very clear explains abobe this lines.
Don't be stupid be alert !
Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back