• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route nomenclature

Pilgrim9

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdC (2017)
SdC-Muxia-Fisterra-SdC (2017)
Lisboa-SdC (2018)
Ferrol-SdC (2018)
People on these forums are so helpful.

Is this the correct forum for questions about the route that Brierley refers to as the “Central Way [aka] Camino Central [aka] Caminho Real [aka] Caminho Medieval [aka] the main historic route”? Reference: John Brierley’s A Pilgrim’s Guide to the Camino Portugués, 9th Ed, 2018, page 9, paragraph 2, and the yellow dots on map on its inside front cover.

What is confusing me is that I cannot find a route forum name that clearly corresponds to what Brierley calls the “Central Way”.

Thank you.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The forum for the Central Way is the forum where you posted this thread.

There is no need for a subforum for the main way of the portuguese camino.

Great, thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The central way on the Camino Portuguese is also frequently called the interior route or the route interior. This differentiates it from the coastal route, the route espititual (spiritual route), etc.

Hope this helps.

The central way on the Camino Portuguese is also frequently called the interior route or the route interior.

Sorry Tom, that's not correct ;). The Interior Route is a completely different route from the Central Way.
Jill

Sorry Tom, that's not correct ;). The Interior Route is a completely different route from the Central Way.
Jill

Oops. I will defer to you. No problem.

But I somehow made it from Lisbon to Porto and Santiago last April-May. Then again, I just followed the arrows...

I will call that today’s “senior moment.”

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The blue line on this map, from Viseu in Portugal, is on the Interior Route.
Jill
MapCaminos02.jpg

As @t2andreo just demonstrated so kindly the naming of the Camino Portugues variants is something of a minefield :) The "traditional" route is the central one and looks fairly 'interior' on a map to me. But there is an official Interior route to the east of that from near Viseu to Verin on the Camino Sanabres. Then there are two other routes which both follow the coast - the Coastal and the Littoral. Being a pedant by nature who takes an interest in etymology those sound as if they should be the same to me but @JohnnieWalker who has written guides for them assures me they are indeed different. And then there is the Variant Espiritual too.... No wonder we are all confused :)

People on these forums are so helpful.

Is this the correct forum for questions about the route that Brierley refers to as the “Central Way [aka] Camino Central [aka] Caminho Real [aka] Caminho Medieval [aka] the main historic route”? Reference: John Brierley’s A Pilgrim’s Guide to the Camino Portugués, 9th Ed, 2018, page 9, paragraph 2, and the yellow dots on map on its inside front cover.

What is confusing me is that I cannot find a route forum name that clearly corresponds to what Brierley calls the “Central Way”.

Thank you.

Having lived in Portugal for 14 years (11 in Faial, 2 in Braga, and 1 in Lisbon) I can easily understand the confusion about the various routes. There are many Sacred sites in Portugal that people go to for serious Spiritual reasons that have nothing to do with the Camino. Fatima, and the Bom Jesus shrine in Braga are just 2 that are popular with Portuguese. I'm looking forward to going to Portugal this summer and am pondering just how I'll navigate the various paths. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Then there's also the coastal route from Lisbon, which isn't actually on the coast anyway, and the more coastal "Path of Sands" (Trilho das Areias) from Lisbon which does go more on the coast but unfortunately is not well marked and can count several forum members among its victims. And how about the Rota Vicentina, which isn't even officially a Camino (though it does pass through Santiago do Cacém, a town with a church to Santiago and an ancient stone panel depicting Santiago in its wall), but which is well marked, does go along the coast, and will get you from the southwest tip of Portugal up to close to Lisbon?! And I'm sure there are still more out there!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back