• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route of Madrid in December

Reuben_Whittle

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago(2010)
Hi. This is my second time walking the Camino. I am starting in Madrid on the 7th of December. I guess I should not expect many others on this route, especially at this time of year?

Moreover, should I have problems with accommodation perhaps because there won’t be many albergues open at this time of year?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You should expect nobody on that route in January ;-) and pack warm clothes, that region of Spain is freezing cold in winter! BC SY

Hi. This is my second time walking the Camino. I am starting in Madrid on the 7th of December. I guess I should not expect many others on this route, especially at this time of year?

Moreover, should I have problems with accommodation perhaps because there won’t be many albergues open at this time of year?
Hi, Reuben,

As @SYates already wrote you will most possibly be alone the whole way. And after Segovia it can really be freezing cold because of the wind. It is flat more or less, called Tierra de Campos and actually very much like on the Meseta the winds are strong.

Personally haven't walked it in winter but this year I started second half of April from Madrid (doing just sections but walked whole in 2014 in the early summer) and there was still at least half a meter of snow over the Fuenfria Pass (on the North side) from Cercedilla to Segovia. Also there are no itermediate stops, only three fuentes. If you are not used to this kind of conditions then I suggest taking a train ride from C to S in the winter, it takes approx.40 minutes.

Let us know how it goes, please :)

Buen Camino!

PS (I don't think you'll have troubles with accommodation. Albergues are more or less locally taking care of. Maybe just call one day in advance. That's also good for your security if went missing in those winter conditions, god forbid.)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello KinkyOne: I am planning to do the section from Madrid to Segovia in mid-April 2019. I note your comment above regarding your more recent journey over the Fuenfria pass. Were you still able to get over and down OK despite the snow? I would like to do that, but I am content to take the train if necessary. Thanks!

Hello KinkyOne: I am planning to do the section from Madrid to Segovia in mid-April 2019. I note your comment above regarding your more recent journey over the Fuenfria pass. Were you still able to get over and down OK despite the snow? I would like to do that, but I am content to take the train if necessary. Thanks!
Hi, @Doogman ,

This year I skipped Fuenfria because I was in company but I talked to one pilgrim a day later and she told me the walking wasn't really that hard because of the frozen crust on the base of 50-75cm of snow. But the man that walked the same route just a day later had much warmer weather and the walk was PITA he said because there was no crust on the snow anymore ;)

I did a lot of winter climbs (really like climbing) in my life and now if the weather would be nice I'd go for it. In 2014 when I walked over the Fuenfria I had rain and it wasn't really nice. I wouldn't want to walk there in snow and bad weather. But maybe I'm spoiled already :D

Hi, Reuben,

As @SYates already wrote you will most possibly be alone the whole way. And after Segovia it can really be freezing cold because of the wind. It is flat more or less, called Tierra de Campos and actually very much like on the Meseta the winds are strong.

Personally haven't walked it in winter but this year I started second half of April from Madrid (doing just sections but walked whole in 2014 in the early summer) and there was still at least half a meter of snow over the Fuenfria Pass (on the North side) from Cercedilla to Segovia. Also there are no itermediate stops, only three fuentes. If you are not used to this kind of conditions then I suggest taking a train ride from C to S in the winter, it takes approx.40 minutes.

Buen Camino!

PS (I don't think you'll have troubles with accommodation. Albergues are more or less locally taking care of. Maybe just call one day in advance. That's also good for your security if went missing in those winter conditions, god forbid.)
Hi, Reuben,

Buen Camino!

Greetings from South Africa

I am having second thoughts on the Madrid route after reading that. Which route would you guys recommend then. I would like to walk about 400-500 kms in about 20 days and I don’t mind travelling from Madrid to my starting point. I land in Madrid but I see you can take a train to Porto for example. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Madrid would not be my choice in the winter, Fonfria is actually the highest point of all the Caminos so snow and ice or freezing rain can be expected. Unfortunately one never knows. Going down is quite gradual but the incline can be quite steep at times.

I walked the Madrid in June, found the signage good and also the accommodations. As Kinky said, should you decide to still do this walk, I would call ahead just to be sure.

My suggestion would be to walk a more southern route, such as the Via de la Plata. You could walk Sevilla-Salamanca within that time frame, approximately 500 km. I've walked it in February and although there were a few municipals closed (Guillena for example) there was always a good, reasonably priced alternative.

Let us know what you decide.

I walked part of the Madrid last June and was totally alone for days. I loved the landscape and towns but finding the key holders of the albergues was problematic some days. There are a few bars with rooms to let but I never tried that option and there are a few towns with only one bar.
I think your choice to opt for the CP is a good one.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.