• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route out of Madrid

whyteway

Time of past OR future Camino
I walked the camino frances in September & october 2017.
Holla,
What is the best way to leave Madrid on the Camino Madrid?
Gracia
Anthony

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You might want to read my thread as I walked it this past June:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/off-i-go-from-iglesia-santiago.55978/#post-639906

It was breeze getting from Barajas to Opera, the metro stop which is the closest to the church Iglesia de San Juan Bautista where you can get the special Camino de Madrid Credential and first stamp (Barajas-Nuevos Ministerios line 8, 7 stops, change to line 6 to Cuatro Caminos 1 stop then change to line 2 Las Rosas to the Opera 7 stops). All in all about 45-60 minutes.

From the Iglesia de San Juan Bautista I walked to the Plaza de Castilla where the yellow arrows start. I did this by walking via many large avenues and small streets although I didn't write down my exact route. I remember looking at @peregrina2000 's description but I can't seem to find that thread right now. It was quite a pleasant walk (see a few pictures which I posted in the above thread).

It took me an hour and 20 minutes, about 6-7 km to walk from the church to the Plaza de Castilla. From Plaza de Castilla till the outskirts of the city in Montecarmelo it was another hour. From then on you walk on lovely dirt paths.

Good luck and ultreia!

Hi, Anthony,
It’s a great camino! Leaving town, you have two clear starting points and lots of places in between. First would be to start at the church of Santiago and San Juan in Old Madrid. You can then walk through central Madrid, it’s a very nice walk, up the Castellana and past the Real Madrid stadium, and to the Plaza de Castilla where you will find the first arrows.

Here is a map showing the in-Madrid options with comments
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...es-on-the-camino-de-madrid.11148/#post-388547

The exit from Madrid is one of the least industrial, least ugly, quickest big-city exits on any camino. You walk north to the huge scandal-ridden pointy skyscrapers, turn left and with a few welll marked rights and lefts, you go under the M-30 (or maybe it’s the M-40) and then bam you are in the country.

Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Holla,
What is the best way to leave Madrid on the Camino Madrid?
Gracia
Anthony
Hi, Anthony,

I think the best is to follow the Camino de Madrid ;)
But the thing is that the first yellow arrow appears only at Plaza de Castilla which is across the avenue from Chamartin train station and is approx.6km from Iglesia de Santiago y de San Juan in the city center.

I would say that for walking from the church (the whole way) you find the easiest way from the church to Gran Via then turn to the right, walk to the Fuente de Cibeles, turn left to Recoletos (wide and quite shady avenue) and then just follow it in straight line to the first yellow arrow. But of course you could navigate in more straight line.

You can also take a metro or cercanias to Chamartin and start at Plaza de Castilla.

Buen Camino!

Hi, Anthony,
It’s a great camino! Leaving town, you have two clear starting points and lots of places in between. First would be to start at the church of Santiago and San Juan in Old Madrid. You can then walk through central Madrid, it’s a very nice walk, up the Castellana and past the Real Madrid stadium, and to the Plaza de Castilla where you will find the first arrows.

Here is a map showing the in-Madrid options with comments
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...es-on-the-camino-de-madrid.11148/#post-388547

The exit from Madrid is one of the least industrial, least ugly, quickest big-city exits on any camino. You walk north to the huge scandal-ridden pointy skyscrapers, turn left and with a few welll marked rights and lefts, you go under the M-30 (or maybe it’s the M-40) and then bam you are in the country.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks Laurie, that's what I did too. I remember taking a picture of the Real Madrid Stadium and sending it to my son who is a Barca fan:p

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I haven't walked the Madrid, but I can suggest an app that should be useful. I used the Buen Camino app for my Camino del Norte, and it was excellent. The maps work offline, and it's you can always see where you are on the trail, or if you strayed how to get back on. And the really good news is the the Madrid route is one of the only free routes that the app offers (though the few dollars that I spent for the Norte were well worth it). Here's the link https://www.editorialbuencamino.com/app-del-camino-de-santiago/ The website is in Spanish, but you choose your own language for the app.

Oops! I was sort of wrong about the language of the app. I was just looking at mine, and the Madrid route is only in Spanish (all the others are in several languages) But I'm sure that it should still be a valuable resource

Hey everyone ,
A big hug & thank you for all the great information.
I start the Camino Madrid this Saturday am really looking forward to walking again.
Buen Camino
Gracias
Anthony

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.