• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route planning guides to Camino [esp Norte]

lisaflora

Time of past OR future Camino
Just completed my route planning for the Camino Norte in July. I researched several sites and blogs and apps for each destination..here is what I found most helpful [the starred ones are my go to, tons of detail]

*https://www.alberguescaminosantiago.com/camino-del-norte/ has links to google maps with albergues on it already!
*https://stingynomads.com/camino-del-norte-stages/
*https://www.gronze.com/camino-norte

Apps:

Buen Camino by Carlos Mencos, best I found..multifunctional maps, lodging, contact
Camino de Santiago- Eroski

I also created a google map of my own as sometimes albergues were sketchy, not available or I was stopping at a different area. Private message me and I will share a link!

Most places are on booking.com but I found better peregrino pricing sometimes if you contact the location directly. Lots of places don't have websites but are good at communicating via Whatsapp.

Buen Camino!

PS- MANY ALBERGUES STILL CLOSED. Others I got 'the last spot' supposedly. Not to add to the stress or bed-chase, but I am glad to have reservations. Shocked at how availability was so limited, and prices very high until you start heading south off the coast. Guess it;s high season for them as well, plus COVID costs, etc.

sorry about the weird formatting, out of my control :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use Buen Camino, Wise Pilgrim and Gronze.com. I use all three just because no one resource has all the information on albergues and especially now you may not know what is open or closed permanently until you are on the Camino.
I do not know if you are planning your camino with stages and reservations now or just do planning for fun like I do.
All the planning and stages I do at home go in the garbage can before I go.
I am assuming alot here but is this your first camino? I think that because the camino you have listed is the one you are talking about for July.
I walked the Norte from Irun in 2018 and you will not be disappointed. It was tough with alot and alot more ups and downs. If I may suggest do some research here and in other places regarding variants that will keep you on the coast more and avoid some roads.
I am assuming that you are not going to sleep often in municipal albergues or donativos as you said most of the places you researched are on Booking.com
It is fun to do research and may take a little of the stress away if this is your first camino but remember everyone has some trepidation no matter how many caminos you may have done.
Most importantly if you are booking places to sleep remember the Norte is hard, there are also sooo many beautiful things to see and towns and foods and everything that is wonderful. But we are emerging from a pandemic and things have changed. You are walking during vacation time and the Norte will be busy with tourists. But walk your own camino if you can. You never know when injury or illness or happiness and contentment will strike and you may want to stop or go further. Only your body and spirit can tell you when to walk or rest. Stages from others are suggested or they are their stages. Create your own. Hope I haven't overstepped my presumptions. If I have never mind haha. I always have a return ticket for more time then I need in case I need the time. If I have time at the end and I always do no worries I am in Europe but the luxury of time comes later in life. Which I wish I would have learned earlier in life.

MANY ALBERGUES STILL CLOSED. Others I got 'the last spot' supposedly.

How many nights did you book - how far are you planning to walk each day??? (Just curious, living vicariously through you.)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back