A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Route Planning

harry bowerman

Camino(s) past & future
future
Hi
My wife and I are planning to do the Camino Frances in two stages as we cannot manage to cover the whole period in one go. So we plan to start in early April next year and walk for about three weeks and then look to get to Bilbao to fly home to UK. Can anyone offer advice on how we should best leave the Camino to get to Bilbao or indeed any other suggestions they might know?
We then plan to go back the following year and finish the route from where we stopped.
Thank you
Harry

D

Deleted member 39850

My recent transportation up to the CF at roughly the 3-week mark took me to the train station at Fromistá; I was told by a fellow passenger that the train would continue north to the track that joins with the east-west route along the CdN. I think you could go from Fromistá or León or Shagún up to Bilbao by train. Try checking the RENFE offerings.

Glenshiro

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - Burgos, Camino Frances (2012 - 2018)
I agree with Morgan Holmes that Fromista is your likely end point if you wish to catch a train. However, the railway journey from there to Bilbao is a minimum 9 1/2 hours with at least one change (at Palencia.)

By bus, there is one a day (not Sunday) (at 7:30 am) to Burgos, from where there are frequent coaches to Bilbao. About 4- 5 hours.

To Madrid, however (which has a much greater choice of flights) the train journey is about 2 1/2 to 4 hours (also via Palencia.)

By bus, again the same route to Burgos, then direct coach to Madrid airport, about 5 hours.

Personally, unless you want to visit Bilbao, I'd take the train to Madrid (Chamartin.)

In any event, have a good Camino!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
You WANT to visit Bilbao!
1541054827473.png

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 37 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 132 15.5%
  • May

Votes: 204 24.0%