• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route Suggestion (Frances)- 11 days

baker_999

Time of past OR future Camino
None!
Hi All,

I have an 11 day window (I can start cycling on the first day and ideally be in Santiago on the 10th day PM) and want to do a camino (be it Frances, Coastal, Porto etc) . I've been focussing research on the Frances route, but not sure this is possible in 10 days. I'm a competent cyclist and will be hiring a bike and packing light (hopefully!).

Does anyone recommend a more suitable route, or start point that could be taken to fit within this time frame? I'm not overly fussed about having days off to see things, I'm more intersted in the cycle and having evenings walking around, staying in auberge's. I am open to any route (or any other european cycle tours, in fact!) and any packing advice you may have, I also see there's some confusion about whether cyclists can follow the walking route (taking the road at certain points). Do most people carry a map or use their smart phone to find a route?

I have 2 weeks to prepare...!

Thanks for your help in advance,
D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As no other answers are forthcoming, here goes:

I haven’t cycled the Portuguese routes, but I have cycled from St Jean Pied-de-Port, and while it’s possible to cycle from there to Santiago in 10 days if you are a competent cyclist, it is not really desirable. I’d advise you to keep one or two days in reserve in case of illness or injury, or even a new-found enthusiasm for travelling slowly. What starts as a bike ride may evolve into a different kind of journey.

Cyclists can ride on the walkers’ path, but most walkers would rather they didn’t. If you were to follow the pilgrim path - especially the Camino frances, which will most likely be crowded - you would in any case have to reduce your speed so as not to endanger or antagonise walkers. Either way, I suggest you pick a point of departure beyond Pamplona.

Search the forum for advice on bike hire, packing, navigation etc.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back