• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route suggestions, please -- limited time

Faith831

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Muxia/Fisterra (Dec/Jan 2016) Way of St. James - Luxembourg (July/Aug 2018)
Hello all,

I'm a lurker and rarely post, but would deeply appreciate some suggestions. My friend and I are walking the French Way starting Jan 1 and we have until approx Jan 15 (maybe a few days longer).

The obvious thing to do would be to count backwards and start at the furthest possible point (we want to go all the way to Muxia -- that's for sure), but we are also open to skipping around a bit (I know that offends purists, but time is a factor).

This will be my first trip out of the US since I was 19 (I'm 49 now), and seeing and experiencing Spain (scenery and culture) is as important to me as the walk itself.

Obviously, we are going to do the last 100 km sequentially, but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on if it would be better to just start as far from Santiago as we can, time allowing, and walk a continuous stretch, or whether it would be better to start in say, St Jean or somewhere else interesting, walking a bit, then busing and resuming further down the Camino.

I've been researching interesting things along the way, but I know that the interesting things and most magical places/experiences don't always show up in tourist guidebooks.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Faith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are walking in deep winter so crowding on the last 100km will not be a problem. With only 16 days I would normally start from Astorga, with that beautiful hike up to Rabanal, Foncebadon and through El Acebo and then down into the glorious valley of the nightingale. Then the iconic trek up to O Cebreiro. Some of the prettiest places and landscapes and definitely magical. Only trouble is that in January you may have snow and ice through those sections. I see you are from Los Angeles - are you prepared for a winter trek?

You are walking in deep winter so crowding on the last 100km will not be a problem. With only 16 days I would normally start from Astorga, with that beautiful hike up to Rabanal, Foncebadon and through El Acebo and then down into the glorious valley of the nightingale. Then the iconic trek up to O Cebreiro. Some of the prettiest places and landscapes and definitely magical. Only trouble is that in January you may have snow and ice through those sections. I see you are from Los Angeles - are you prepared for a winter trek?
Thank you, Kanga!

I live in LA now, but I have lived and hiked many winters in snowy conditions in Santa Fe, Colorado and the PNW. I love winter weather! (my hiking companion is not so thrilled with the cold, but she is brave and willing to give it a try) I will check out the sections you recommended -- I know that buses aren't necessarily easily available everywhere either.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Faith831,

Kanga's suggestion will take you through Ponferrada where you can see the Knights Templar castle. You can start in SJPP or Roncesvalles walk to Pamplona then travel on by foot, train or bus. Trains and buses are a wonderful way to see countryside considering your time constraints. Kanga is also right about the snow. March 2014, pilgrims spent a few days in Rabanal del Camino due to snow. Authorities did not allow pilgrims to walk until visual conditions cleared. Also, I loved Granon about 4kms west of Santo
Domingo del Calzada. The pilgrims dinner, church service, and praying for other pilgrims was nice. No matter what you finally decide to do you will enjoy. Beware of mud, and possibly cold albergues.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
I probably would start in Ponferrada & plan the walk to either Muxia or Finnesterre. Just to try to reduce the higher elevation. More because it's winter & I am already tired of the snow. Whatever you decide no matter what you do it is an amazing country & people. In the end it's all good.
Buen Camino
Keith

Hello all,

I'm a lurker and rarely post, but would deeply appreciate some suggestions. My friend and I are walking the French Way starting Jan 1 and we have until approx Jan 15 (maybe a few days longer).

The obvious thing to do would be to count backwards and start at the furthest possible point (we want to go all the way to Muxia -- that's for sure), but we are also open to skipping around a bit (I know that offends purists, but time is a factor).

This will be my first trip out of the US since I was 19 (I'm 49 now), and seeing and experiencing Spain (scenery and culture) is as important to me as the walk itself.

Obviously, we are going to do the last 100 km sequentially, but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on if it would be better to just start as far from Santiago as we can, time allowing, and walk a continuous stretch, or whether it would be better to start in say, St Jean or somewhere else interesting, walking a bit, then busing and resuming further down the Camino.

I've been researching interesting things along the way, but I know that the interesting things and most magical places/experiences don't always show up in tourist guidebooks.

Faith
ponferrada - muxia or villafranca - muxia, or even o cebreiro - muxia; depends on your stage distances and if you sneak an extra day in SdC.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all,

Faith

Cadiz to Seville and onward on the Ruta Plata.

Thank you, everyone! I'm so torn by wanting to do some of the beginning that I've been picturing (starting at St James' Gate, seeing St Jean, the bridge at Navarra) and wanting to walk one continuous stretch. Not to mention I tend to have decision paralysis... still considering...

Thank you, everyone! I'm so torn by wanting to do some of the beginning that I've been picturing (starting at St James' Gate, seeing St Jean, the bridge at Navarra) and wanting to walk one continuous stretch. Not to mention I tend to have decision paralysis... still considering...
Let it go,once you land use your instincts. If this is a pilgrimage for you just relax & let it flow.
Buen Camino
Keith

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

You will not be allowed to start @ St JPdP unless you go via Valcarlos.
The valley floor will be treacherous .
If authorities stopped people in Rabanal [ and its just as high as the start of the camino] because of snow then Villafranca to Muxia would be my suggestion.
Get MMDD and use the private albergues that are open within a village that has cafe and restr.

@Faith831 Thornley is right. You cannot walk the Route Napoleon at this time - it is closed until the end of March. And if you go via Valcarlos during January then you would most likely be walking the road all the way - unless you are exceptionally lucky with the weather the path would be too difficult.
So I'd save St-Jean-Pied-de-Port for the future.

Thank you, everyone! It occurs to me that the best starting point midway through might be Ferro -- that might be nicely symbolic and a good psychological beginning. Looks like it's 211 miles from Ferro to Muxia, so that's probably just about right.

So what would be the closet thing to starting at Ferro? I'm guessing taking a bus or train to Ponferrada and then hiring a taxi or Uber to drive to Ferro?

I deeply appreciate suggestions -- I suck at travel planning and am starting to get decision fatigue. :)

Warmest,
Faith

PS -- Thank you, Kanga. I did know about Rt. Napolean being closed, but wasn't quite sure if the alternative was a good starting walk or not. Seems wise to wait till another time for St. Jean.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you, everyone! It occurs to me that the best starting point midway through might be Ferro -- that might be nicely symbolic and a good psychological beginning. Looks like it's 211 miles from Ferro to Muxia, so that's probably just about right.

So what would be the closet thing to starting at Ferro? I'm guessing taking a bus or train to Ponferrada and then hiring a taxi or Uber to drive to Ferro?

I deeply appreciate suggestions -- I suck at travel planning and am starting to get decision fatigue. :)

Warmest,
Faith

PS -- Thank you, Kanga. I did know about Rt. Napolean being closed, but wasn't quite sure if the alternative was a good starting walk or not. Seems wise to wait till another time for St. Jean.

Ferro ?

Maybe Cruz de Ferro? The Iron Cross. Which is not a village or town or starting point, and not a drop-off point for any public transport. It is the highest point of the Camino (slightly debatable, the telecom towers round the bend are slightly higher), and it is between Astorga and Pontferrada. So Astorga or Pontferrada make more sense.

Maybe Cruz de Ferro? The Iron Cross. Which is not a village or town or starting point, and not a drop-off point for any public transport. It is the highest point of the Camino (slightly debatable, the telecom towers round the bend are slightly higher), and it is between Astorga and Pontferrada. So Astorga or Pontferrada make more sense.

Yes, I know it's not a village or a "starting point", but it's where we want to start. Astorga is starting too far for our timeframe, and it seems appropriate to start at the Cruz de Ferro. That's why I'm asking for suggestions. What I want to know is if it anyone knows if it's possible to get a car in Ponferrada to drive us there?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Instead of starting at the Cruz de Ferro why not back up a wee bit and start at Foncebadon?
Try emailing some albergues there to ask about picking you up. Or here is the web for RadioTaxi service in Ponferrada. Try their email link to ask for prices.
http://www.radiotaxiponferrada.es/

Happy research and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Instead of starting at the Cruz de Ferro why not back up a wee bit and start at Foncebadon?
Try emailing some albergues there to ask about picking you up. Or here is the web for RadioTaxi service in Ponferrada. Try their email link to ask for prices.
http://www.radiotaxiponferrada.es/

Happy research and Buen camino!

Thank you, Mspath, that's exactly the info I was hoping for! I couldn't tell from my online research if taxi services were possible in the smaller villages along that stretch, since it looks like it's more sparsely populated. Appreciate it very much! :)

but it's where we want to start.

Why?
Highest point of Camino @ 1490m ,
Middle of winter could [ more than likely will ] give you the following........ fog , rain , mist with nothing to see .
The next 27km will be dangerous as its all rocks on the decent into El Acebo then Molinaseca.
Its bad enough in the good weather .

If you want to take in the culture and scenery as stated start in Ponferrada and spend a few extra days in SDC once you return from Muxia.
It will be a very "torturous" first day starting at Cruz and any misplaced step could end the trip there with sprains or worse.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Why?
Highest point of Camino @ 1490m ,
Middle of winter could [ more than likely will ] give you the following........ fog , rain , mist with nothing to see .
The next 27km will be dangerous as its all rocks on the decent into El Acebo then Molinaseca.
Its bad enough in the good weather .

If you want to take in the culture and scenery as stated start in Ponferrada and spend a few extra days in SDC once you return from Muxia.
It will be a very "torturous" first day starting at Cruz and any misplaced step could end the trip there with sprains or worse.

For the symbolism, obviously.

Have lived and hiked in winter conditions for many years. Appreciate the warning, but iimmune to (and wearied by) the "doom and gloom" weather info. :)

Have lived and hiked in winter conditions for many years. Appreciate the warning, but iimmune to (and wearied by) the "doom and gloom" weather info. :)

Good luck and keep us informed .
Weather is fine @ 28/12

Sounds to me as you are set to begin like life you will hit small road blocks you just think around or thru them.
Buen Camino
Keith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hey Faith , go easy on those offering advice.
You were going to start in St Jean Pied de Port i believe................you were told you can't.
You wanted to experience the magical things along the way............to each their own.
If you commenced in the Basque country please believe me there is no symbolism connected to a statue on a main road .

Interesting how the Cruz is seen by different people. This year I arrived there with a lovely girl from Brazil who had walked from SJPDP and for whom the Cruz was deeply symbolic, and it brought her to tears.

My friend who walked with me last year just thought it was a rubbish tip.

For me, reaching it signifies that I have passed a test.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Unless you are really prepared for snow and ice I would give O Cebreiro a miss in January, We had snow and high winds there in May of 2014, it was not very pleasant.

I'd really advise a continuous pilgrimage on from day one as this will be your first Camino.

As to where from, it depends on what will be your daily speed, though your decision to move on from Santiago to Muxia does further limit your options.

Sounds like 9-10 days on the Camino proper, and cutting into that time with buses, trains, taxis does sound particularly non-ideal.

Distance-wise that'll be something between 200 & 250 K most likely, perhaps a little more if you're somewhat faster, but Astorga if you'll be doing the 25K that most can manage. Or from Léon IF you are faster.

The "purist" option would be Burgos to Santiago, then either walk or bus to Muxia as time permitted.

There's already been snow this year as far south as the Sahara, so it is something that must definitely be considered.

The Camiño de Invierno from Ponferrada is definitely another option in Winter.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.