• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route to Bom Jesus and the Sanctuary of Sameiro, at start of Via Mariana

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Various ones.
I lived in Braga 2 years while working for Habitat for Humanity and would definitely suggest spending some time there. One thing to do is to go to the shrine of Bom Jesus. Local pilgrims walk up the steps, or there is a funicular to the top. There are 4 cathedrals around one of the grand plazas; the oldest has elements built in roman days. One cafe has glass blocks in the floor so it's possible to see some Roman ruins. And there is the modern part of the city complete with shopping mall...
There is a waymarked route which goes to Bom Jesus and the Sanctuary of Sameiro, which is also the start of the Via Mariana, I always intended to do this as my pre Camino Geira start but I read recently that they are building an Albergue De Peregrinos up at Sameiro and from the photo I saw are getting on with it, so I might spend the night overlooking Braga as well. Here is a link to the route http://viamarianalusogalaica.eu/vmlg-00-sra-do-sameiro-braga/

Edit:
This was moved from another thread which had an established conversation going on, it was better moved to a relevant topic.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back