Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Route to Samos

C clearly

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012. Hoping now for 2022.
Here on the Camino Frances, I'm looking ahead a couple of days. We're hoping to go through Samos, where I haven't been before. I'm finding some confusing information about the route from Triacastela to Samos. Does it involve 4 km of dangerous highway or is it along a little-used road?

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

C clearly

Staff member
Past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012. Hoping now for 2022.
Thank you! That is what we will do - turn left and follow the arrows. Our walk is going well and we did 32 km yesterday, much to our surprise.

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
I usually walk along the verges of LU633 since some of the path can be swampy. In Samos a pleasant restaurant/hotel with a great menu de dia is A Veiga at the western end of the village. I always eat there but have never stayed there. Enjoy!

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
S

simply B

I concur wholeheartedly with @mspath.

Just over a couple weeks back, I walked the marked path from Triacastela to Samos with no concern about traffic or moments of confusion over waymarking. Some parts of the path itself were a mess and visibility due to fog was an issue but getting to the road was easy in those circumstances.

Hotel A Viega (at the end of town in the direction you will walk to Sarria) was most accommodating to a soggy pilgrim. The room was 24 euro, laundry was 6. I think I spent 11 euro on a fine evening meal. I highly recommend!

The albergue at the Monastery was open, tours of the Monastery itself will not start until April.

BTW, regarding the next day... I seem to recall a freshly painted arrow pointing up the hill to the right about 1.5 - 2 km west of Samos. I tried it but, after about a kilometer, found no affirming arrows and made my way back down to the main path. Maybe that alternate path converged later but I was not in an adventuresome mood.

Buen Camino!

B

Last edited by a moderator:

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, C Clearly, your post reminded me to check your blog -- happy to see it's going so well.

I am not a fan of the murals inside the monastery at Samos, and I was not enamored with the rest of the monastery, but I do think that the walk there is lovely, especially once you leave the side of the road after Triacastela. Mspath is right that those kms are not dangerous, but they aren't pleasant. And the view down to the monastery before the descent is very nice.

I have stayed both in the hotel A Veiga and the pension right across the street from the entrance to the albergue, and I think I would choose the hotel if I were to return. The pension is fine, though.

Keep on walking, amiga, Buen camino, Laurie

Past OR future Camino
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Hola "C " - I took this route - I wanted to see the monastery and from memory there was ample "off-road" walking space , but yes there are sections that follow the LU633 (Oh I was on my bike). After Samos I again followed the main road until I found the turn off (to the right - north) that took me back to Brierley's main trail. It had some of the most beautiful, quiet country that I experienced on the Frances (this was in September and the leaves had started to turn colour). Good luck!

Margaret Butterworth

Past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
On this route, as well as no cafés there are no toilets! In one village you will come across those amusing signs warning you not to "go" in their backyard.

Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

mspath

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Few toilets indeed! There is a bar at San Cristovo do Real. However there are plenty of trees, hollows and hidden spaces off the beaten track. Wherever you go leave no paper trace!

Last edited:

movinmaggie

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Great to see your post. The one regret I had, was not taking the alt route to Samos. Wish you well along the way. Maggie

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Last year I walked the Samos variant for the first time. I only encountered one other pilgrim along the way. It was a delightful and memorably quiet and peaceful walk that started in some mist and ended in lovely sunshine. I have decided that it is now my preferred route.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads