Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route Variation??

johnBCCanada

Just a thought and, maybe a silly one, but I understand the Primitivo connects with the CF at Melide. I was just wondering if there are any practical ways of connecting closer to Santiago? or even going directly to Santiago without connecting with the CF?

I'm already day-dreaming of Autumn in Spain. Walked to work today (only about a k) and it was about minus 20. Its easy to dress for it but Spring does seem quite a while away and one can only do so much cross-country skiing.

John

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, John,
I walked the Primitivo last September and am not aware of any marked route after San Roman that would lead you to Santiago without intersecting with the Camino Frances. I suppose one possibility would be to somehow hook up with the Camino del Norte, which goes from Sobrado dos Monxes to Arzua, but that seems like it would be a lot of detour to avoid the short Melide to Arzua segment.

You might also be able to figure out a way to get from the Primitivo down to the Via de la Plata north of Ourense, because the Vdlp has its own entrance into Santiago and never intersects the Frances. But my guess would be that this would involve a fair amout of highway walking.

I'll bet others have better suggestions, but this is a start. Laurie

p.s. Though I must be hundreds of miles south of you, it's about -17 C here this morning, so I share your dreams of spring!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am thinking very similar thoughts. I know how to get from Lugo across to Miraz, following minor roads. From there you can follow the Camino del Norte to Sobraado, and I have heard from there it's possible to walk back roads as far as Sta. Irene. You have to sleep rough, however, at least one night.
I am still trying to track down the pilgrim who told me about this route!

Meantime, if I am not too beat-up or fed-up with hiking by the time I get to Lugo, I may take the train south and join the Camino Invierno in Chantada or Monforte de Lemos, and walk from there to join the Sanabrese in Lalin.

January dreamin'
Reb.

Rebekah,
what about the ultra lightweight tent you were writing about some time ago?

My plans starting mid/end of April (Camino del Salvador, then Camino Primitivo) won't be realizable - I should be able to leave earliest end of May or beginning of June - busy period for me...
So I would appreciate to know more about your tent-alternative.
And, of course, also about any alternative to avoid the big big crowds...
(But, some time before, some of you gave some interesting information about that - thank you!)

A very healthy, happy, heavenly 2010 to all of you!

Fatma

I will try out the tent on the regular Camino Frances, and see how it works out. I hope to not need it once I leave the main route and head north from Leon.

There are already an unusual number of pilgs on the trail, but I still wonder if the numbers are going to be so overwhelming that the tent will be required as early as mid-March. It´s all an experiment. I will let everyone know how it works out, if i think there´s an interest!

Reb.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks to everyone for the information.

After starting this thread I realized there was already a veery similar one. I guess I am not the only person who finds the primitivo attractive but not the idea of joining the CF for the last couple of days. If anyone has any further information I would appreciate. I would like to find an alternative that is relatively easy to follow as my ability to speak Spanish is growing but still quite limited.

John

You could get a bus from Lugo to el Ferrol and walk the Ingles to Santiago, still qualifying for the compostela.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi John, I will walk the primitivo in August so this is an interesting question for me too. I will keep following this thread and maybe the Inglés is a good alternative like Sillydoll suggested.
Pepa

Hello Pepa

It does sound good. The distance isn't a lot different and I am considering the shock of finishing the relatively quiet Primitivo and thenjoining the large numbers I would expect to see on the last section of the CF this year.

I don't expect to start until the end of August this year but, who knows, maybe I will meet you there?

regards,

john

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The camino Ingles is a lovely route. Very scenic, lots of small farms, in and out little hamlets between stone barns and down village lanes. The landscape is similar to the Frances from Sarria but that is where the similarity ends! We walked it at the end of June last year and did not see ONE pilgrim - not even a cyclist!

Dont forget that albergue in Mitaz will be closed for building works between 10 December 2009 and 7 April 2010.

Hi again,
John- maybe it would be nice to go Lugo- Sobrado dos Monxes-Arzua-Santiago. That would mean only one day on the Francés and there seems to be a great albergue/monastery in Sobrado dos Monxes, I think I'd like to stay the night there!
Pepa

Pepa said:
Lugo- Sobrado dos Monxes-Arzua-Santiago

Hi!
Last August (2009), me and my wife started the Primitivo from Oviedo, but unfortunatly we had to quit because she had a gastroentrites (do you spell it like that?). We walked 5 days "into the wild" (to Campielo, just after Tineo) and all I can say is that the Primitivo has probably the best scenery (having done the Frances, Portugues and Via de la Plata) and we will do it some day.
All this to say, that so soon into the Camino we were told that there was a "route variation" through Sobrado dos Monxes (were there is a big monastery with albergue) and that in the albergue in Lugo we should ask the hospitaleiro about that. So instead of 2 days in the Frances, you endure only one!
And if I were you, I would continue to Finisterra/Muxia...
Bon Camino
Ovelha

PS - other news on the "radio camino" was a variation from Borres to Puerto del Palo - it's suposedly well marked, flatter than going to Polla de Allande, but it doesn't have any pueblo on the way. This was recomended on the Albergue in Bodenaya by the hospitalero - great place to stay, very welcoming...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked this month, and did the alternative
Lugo -Friol-Sobrado
from Sobrado you are on the camino del norte.
You can get a route description with the hospitalero in Lugo.
My description was good for the first day but on the second I got a bit lost. But others had no trouble. There is signposting but it is quite old.
In Friol is one pension, it is also a bit old but suffcient....
The albergue in the monastery in Sobrado has its charms but is very damp and a bit smelly. But great location.
I found the route quite beautiful. It is very quite which is really nice. When I experienced the Frances I was happy that I had delayed that for a little.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back