• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route variations between Alto de Erro and Zubiri

Niels

camino mi privio
Time of past OR future Camino
Norte, Primitivo, Muxia 2016; Frances 2018 + 2022
I walked the Frances in April and May, and followed the signs. I did get to Akorreta and noticed the hotel, where Tom in The Way had his first night. But come to think of it, I didn't walk that way on my first Frances four years ago. And checking maps.google, I notice the Camino de Santiago doesn't get into Akorreta. In fact, there dosen't seem to be a path from Alto de Erro to Akorreta, and I know, I didn't walk the N-135. Does anybody know about that. Has the route been diverted into Akorreta, or do we have two alternative routes here?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In 2014, the flechas led directly past the Hotel Akerreta, where we stayed for the night. So glad we did: met some cool folks (with whom we are still friends), had a lovely room and dinner, shared some stories with the owner who was a Jai Alai player here in Florida for years under the name Irun. It is not the alberque from the movie, but it is a great memory.
The Hotel is just up the camino from Larrasoaña, and the path might be different if you go through that town.

20140923_Europe_0169.jpg20140923_Europe_0171.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Frances,
between Erro and Zubiri
Barn ?

photo taken February 8, 2007

west of Alto del Erro .JPG

By chance have you seen this? If so please do let me know where it is located ie with a longitude/ latitude reference.

Many years ago when using my Canon digital IXUS camera (without GPS )
I scribbled "after Erro"/ "medieval albergue ? " in notes.

This building might be located on the camino after Alto del Erro; never on any future camino did I pass this spot again.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
@mspath - Lo Siento
I searched my photo catalog for 2012 and 2014, but cannot find anything that looks like a match.
I was surprised that in my 2 year gap, there were several places that seemed to have disappeared or changed. There were certain places that Beth and I both remarked were different.

BTW, I noticed that google earth is clearly showing the CF trail through Erro/Zubiri, and Larrasoaña/Akarreta areas. I assume it is in other places, but I did not look further. A nice addition.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
, I notice the Camino de Santiago doesn't get into Akorreta.
In my copy of the Camino Frances, obtained from the Dutch Confraternity the path certainly does go through Akerreta, see screenshot below. The black line is the main path, the orange an alternative. However, Akerreta and Hotel Akerreta are after Zubiri, not before it.

Screenshot_20220704-232013.png

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for your replies. All of you. You're right. Somehow, I did get the hotel Akerreta and the village of the same name all mixed up and would have the hotel placed in the village. Now, I know ... thanks.

In my copy of the Camino Frances, obtained from the Dutch Confraternity the path certainly does go through Akerreta, see screenshot below. The black line is the main path, the orange an alternative. However, Akerreta and Hotel Akerreta are after Zubiri, not before it.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much! Right? 😂😂😂

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

View attachment 128993
acording to my gpx file Akerreta is far away from the official camino (i walked in April

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220704-201751_MAPSME.jpg
    Screenshot_20220704-201751_MAPSME.jpg
    883.3 KB · Views: 11
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much! Right? 😂😂😂
Sorry once again. I see, the reference was to your former mail. The route doesn't go through Akoretta, but it does pass HOTEL Akorreta,

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some name confusion here I think. There is a village (tiny hamlet really) between Alto de Erro and Zubiri called AGORETTA (with a G). This is on the N135 and off the Camino (unless you walk the road). Nothing to do with the village and hotel AKERRETA (note spelling) which are located just after Larrasoana. The Camino passes through the edge of the village of Akerreta, and directly past the hotel.

Hope this helps to clear up the confusion.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back