• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Route with minimized walking on main roads

philo

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
I was wondering if anyone knows which route has the least amount of walking on main roads?

I had a quick look at the Portuguese route and it seems to run along a lot of main road.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was wondering if anyone knows which route has the least amount of walking on main roads?

I had a quick look at the Portuguese route and it seems to run along a lot of main road.
I believe the PC has a coastal alternative, not so many mail roads. I walked the Frances, only a small percent of that is along main roads as I recall it.

Are you asking mainly because you don't want to walk on hard surfaces or for traffic safety reasons?

I've read here that some Portuguese routes have a lot of hard to walk on cobblestone streets and roads and the coastal route has boardwalks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
which route has the least amount of walking on main roads?
Are you asking about routes or sections that go into Santiago? There are many sections of the longer routes, or routes that merge with the Camino Frances (as @trecile suggests), that would be good candidates if you don't care about reaching Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are you asking about routes or sections that go into Santiago? There are many sections of the longer routes, or routes that merge with the Camino Frances (as @trecile suggests), that would be good candidates if you don't care about reaching Santiago.
I have walked on some country roads that see virtually no traffic that have been really beautiful. When I walked on the Aragones this past October there is road walking but the camino is so rural that you have little to worry about. The same can be said for much of the VDLP. If it is the surface that bothers a person and causes problems this is another issue. Lucky for me it is not a problem

The Madrid Route.
Mainly natural paths.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

My friend and I walked the Portugese Coastal from Porto in September 2016 - loved it😊 I don't recall long stretches on main roads, just at some places.

My friend and I walked the Portugese Coastal from Porto in September 2016 - loved it😊 I don't recall long ? stretches on main roads, just at some places.
It must just be me, I was looking at the map on Google and set it to "Walking and it seemed it was along the N550.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back