• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Routes from Porto?

sabbott

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (SJPP to Ponferrada) 2016
Camino Invierno 2016
I'm very happy to be planning my second Camino, this time an October walk from Porto to Santiago. I've been looking at possible routes, and an thinking I'll walk from Porto to Matosinhos, then up the coast for awhile, and then cut in to join the Central route, I think at Tui.

I've been reading forum threads and other sites, and am still confused about the various routes through Portugal, and what the different options are. I've read the threads that debate whether the Portuguese Camino is scenic, dangerous, etc, but to tell you the truth, with all the route options, I'm never sure which path is being commented on. So I have a couple of questions for my dear fellow forum members:

--Was the route I'm proposing--Porto to Tui then join the Central--a good choice for those of you that have walked it before? Is there much dangerous sharing roads with cars on this route? I don't mind non-scenic walking on a path next to roads, like you have on the CF, I just don't want to be walking on the road shoulder for long stretches.

--I read on a thread here about a nice way to walk out of Porto to Matosinhos, and now can't find the description. Can anyone who has done that let me know the directions? I'd rather just start walking and not take a tram north and then backtrack to Porto, as some posters suggest. Am I missing something about why folks do this, rather than spend the night in Matosinhos?

--Is there fairly frequent lodging on this coastal/inland route (I like to walk under 22 kilometers a day) and will albergues and hotels be open the first 3 weeks of October?

--I have Brierley's map book of the Central and Coastal routes, which I'm finding rather confusing as I'm trying to figure out these routes. Any other resources you can recommend for the coastal/inland I'm considering?

Thanks so much, as always, for your help!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To walk from Porto,to Matoshinos, while enjoying views of the city...

Cross Dom Luis bridge (metal one, build by Eiffel) by foot. Once you get to the other side follow the water along the touristy port wine warehouses and rstaurants. At ine point you have to cross a parking lot, just keep going. Beautiful views of Porto.

After walking under two bridges, there will be a small dock where a boat picks you up to shuttle you across the river. It's one of these jet boats for a day out on the water.

Once back on the Porto side, keep the water to your left and walk. There will be. 90degree elbow where the river empties in the ocean. That is the entrance into Matoshinos. There will be a park on your left, restaurants on your right.

I wish I'd known about the route Anemone describes! Would have been lovely to see those views of Porto from the other side of the Douro River! Next time. The route I took out of Porto was very easy. Start at the Cathedral and walk down to the river. Follow the river, always keeping it and eventually the ocean, to your left. I really enjoyed that first day walk out of Porto, stopping at Perafita (about 7 km past Matosinhos).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm very happy to be planning my second Camino, this time an October walk from Porto to Santiago. I've been looking at possible routes, and an thinking I'll walk from Porto to Matosinhos, then up the coast for awhile, and then cut in to join the Central route, I think at Tui.

I've been reading forum threads and other sites, and am still confused about the various routes through Portugal, and what the different options are. I've read the threads that debate whether the Portuguese Camino is scenic, dangerous, etc, but to tell you the truth, with all the route options, I'm never sure which path is being commented on. So I have a couple of questions for my dear fellow forum members:

--Was the route I'm proposing--Porto to Tui then join the Central--a good choice for those of you that have walked it before? Is there much dangerous sharing roads with cars on this route? I don't mind non-scenic walking on a path next to roads, like you have on the CF, I just don't want to be walking on the road shoulder for long stretches.

--I read on a thread here about a nice way to walk out of Porto to Matosinhos, and now can't find the description. Can anyone who has done that let me know the directions? I'd rather just start walking and not take a tram north and then backtrack to Porto, as some posters suggest. Am I missing something about why folks do this, rather than spend the night in Matosinhos?

--Is there fairly frequent lodging on this coastal/inland route (I like to walk under 22 kilometers a day) and will albergues and hotels be open the first 3 weeks of October?

--I have Brierley's map book of the Central and Coastal routes, which I'm finding rather confusing as I'm trying to figure out these routes. Any other resources you can recommend for the coastal/inland I'm considering?

Thanks so much, as always, for your help!
I am also planning my second Camino for September and as you say not easy to decide on which route.( Not as many options on the Frances ) but I have decided like you to start on the coast and cut back in to Tui . I have been to Porto before and will be again in a few weeks as I love the place and I have been out as far as Matosinhos it's very straightforward just keep the river then the sea on your left it's a beautiful walk Bom Camino

I am also planning my second Camino for September and as you say not easy to decide on which route.( Not as many options on the Frances ) but I have decided like you to start on the coast and cut back in to Tui . I have been to Porto before and will be again in a few weeks as I love the place and I have been out as far as Matosinhos it's very straightforward just keep the river then the sea on your left it's a beautiful walk Bom Camino
I'm thinking of starting on the coast and rejoining the central route before Tui as well. Where do you plan to cut across?

From Porto you can go out of town by the Douro river at your left all away to the ocean (about 6 kms walk) continue keeping the ocean at your left untill Matosinhos (4 kms)
From Matosinhos head for Vila do Conde 18 km. Ocean at your left .
There you can choose to head inland to São Pedro de Rates which is on the Central route or continue on the coast -ocean at your left. All way to Caminho. Your then on the coastal route.
Everywhere on the Central as on the coastal route are albergues ,hotels and privat places to stay.
My advise look on a map of Portugal and know how the infrastructure has been built up. Gives you more an idea about and you will be better prepared. Google Maps of Maps on Ipads give an excellent idea on what Portugal and the north west of Spain (Galicia) are alike.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am also walking end of july from porto to santiago and have 10 days planned. I am also a little confused about where to start. I arrive midday at the airport on a sunday and have a few options as I would like to get going on the same day after a short flight.
1. start from airport and walk to rates (miss the cathedral though and a beginning stamp as I already have the pilgrim pass)
2 metro into porto and walk from cathedral via matosinhos to vila do conde. a big day but I am in good shape just concerned all albergues will be full if I arrive early evening?
3. metro to matosinhos and walk from there.
I also own the Brierley 2018 but all reviews say walking out of porto on the central route is dangerous and to be avoided, ?
many thanks for any advice and sorry if this topic keeps repeating itself over and over again!!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am also walking end of july from porto to santiago and have 10 days planned. I am also a little confused about where to start. I arrive midday at the airport on a sunday and have a few options as I would like to get going on the same day after a short flight.
1. start from airport and walk to rates (miss the cathedral though and a beginning stamp as I already have the pilgrim pass)
2 metro into porto and walk from cathedral via matosinhos to vila do conde. a big day but I am in good shape just concerned all albergues will be full if I arrive early evening?
3. metro to matosinhos and walk from there.
I also own the Brierley 2018 but all reviews say walking out of porto on the central route is dangerous and to be avoided, ?
many thanks for any advice and sorry if this topic keeps repeating itself over and over again!!

Chill out in Porto then 3.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back