• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Routes from Vezelay

Glenshiro

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - SdC, Podiensis, Frances, Invierno 2012-23
I'm planning a short scouting expedition on this route, say, Vezelay to La Charite sur Loire, and there seem to be FOUR routes out of Vezelay - two on the Voie de Vezelay, maintained by the 'Amis et Pèlerins de Saint-Jacques de la Voie de Vézelay,' the northern of which goes via La Charite, and two on the GR654, maintained by the FFR (Fédération Française de la Randonnée pédestre) which meet at Varzy.

Does anyone have recent experience of any or all of these routes? Is one better waymarked/has better accommodation than the others?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Glenshiro,

For earlier forum threads with varied descriptive posts re walking in this area see--

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/need-some-good-advice.21711/

and

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/pilgrimage-you-ask.43705/

Here in France there is a often a Chain of Local ( donativo )
Hospitality offered for passing pilgrims. See more in French here. Those who offer such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them find their way.

For example my husband and I live in a small Champagne village, facing the Marne river.
We have a b & b but also provide simple family hosting for passing pilgrims. My first pilgrim shell hangs at our door marking the path.

Check to see if such a Chain of Local Hospitality/ l'Accueil pèlerins à domicile exists where you might wish to travel in France.

Happy planning and Bon chemin!

Last edited:
Mspath - many thanks for your post - very helpful. I laughed at the bit where you were examined by the gendarmes!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Glenshiro,
I think you will find "Accueil pélerin à domicile" only on the two historical paths: the north one, via Bourges and the South one, via Nevers.

For information, the Dutch pilgrim association is publishing a very good guide, which is directly "descending" from the well considered yellow guide of Madame Chassain. There is now a English translation! See:
https://www.santiago.nl/english/intro

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Thank you, Jacques-D, very useful information. All I have to decide now is which of the 4 possible routes out of Vezelay to take! Can I ask which one you walked in 2007?

In 2007, I walked the north route.
I think I met less than 10 pilgrims from Vézelay to St-Palais. It is now more frequently traveled, but still a very lonely road compared to the Frances!
The number of pilgrim shelter has increased a lot, so it is much easyer to adjust the stages...

Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm planning a short scouting expedition on this route, say, Vezelay to La Charite sur Loire, and there seem to be FOUR routes out of Vezelay - two on the Voie de Vezelay, maintained by the 'Amis et Pèlerins de Saint-Jacques de la Voie de Vézelay,' the northern of which goes via La Charite, and two on the GR654, maintained by the FFR (Fédération Française de la Randonnée pédestre) which meet at Varzy.

Does anyone have recent experience of any or all of these routes? Is one better waymarked/has better accommodation than the others?

I had the opportunity to do the northern route on the traditional Camino (not the GR). It was beautiful and solitary. Waymarking was fine. Not sure what "better accommodation" means to you, but there was a good mix of refuges, chambre d'hotes, and bar restaurant hotels. Never a problem procuring a place to stay. I couldn't recommend it more. Enjoy!! :)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back