• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Routes to Vézelay

Grammy Kin

Time of past OR future Camino
2022: Couvin Belgium to Irun Spain via Vezelay
We’d like to walk border to border in France via the Lemovicensis. Has anyone walked either from, say, Schengen or Couvin to Vézelay recently? I’d like to know the places you stopped, and whether you were on a marked or personally created route. The info I’ve come across is somewhat dated.
Also, we’d like to visit a friend in Bayonne, and rather than go to SJPP, we’re wondering about leaving the route a little early to head west. Has anyone any suggestions for doing that?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
From Couvin in Belgium it'll be a short hop to Rocroi in France. Once there you can walk the Via Campaniensis via Reims and Troyes to Vézelay. The Association Randonneurs et Pelerins 51 has a website where you can order the guide for this 395 km path, including accommodation listing. They offer a French, Dutch and I believe also a German guide for the Via Campaniensis. The site looks a bit amateurish, but I used their Dutch guide in 2016 and it was on point. Waymarking is fine and RP51 has volunteers in Reims cathedral providing the most current info on the route and lodging.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
From Couvin in Belgium it'll be a short hop to Rocroi in France. Once there you can walk the Via Campaniensis via Reims and Troyes to Vézelay. The Association Randonneurs et Pelerins 51 has a website where you can order the guide for this 395 km path, including accommodation listing. They offer a French, Dutch and I believe also a German guide for the Via Campaniensis. The site looks a bit amateurish, but I used their Dutch guide in 2016 and it was on point. Waymarking is fine and RP51 has volunteers in Reims cathedral providing the most current info on the route and lodging.
Thanks for the reply. I had seen this site and got a little info, but the French book is out of stock and not available. I’m glad to know the waymarking is good, or was four years ago!

Thanks for the reply. I had seen this site and got a little info, but the French book is out of stock and not available. I’m glad to know the waymarking is good, or was four years ago!

The Dutch Association of Saint James has a website with a download section. I did a quick check and found that they offer PDF, KML and GPX files containing accommodation on the Northern France routes (Via Campaniensis and GR 654, GR 3 & GR13, Via Podiensis and Via Scaldea). That might be just the thing you're looking for.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Dutch Association of Saint James has a website with a download section. I did a quick check and found that they offer PDF, KML and GPX files containing accommodation on the Northern France routes (Via Campaniensis and GR 654, GR 3 & GR13, Via Podiensis and Via Scaldea). That might be just the thing you're looking for.
Yes, that gives me a lot of information. And now I’ll learn some Dutch with the help of Google translate! I have the MMDD for Vezelay. We may just wing it at the south end to get to Bayonne rather than Ostabat. I appreciate your help.

If you search Voie de la Nive you will come up with routes to Bayonne. There are a number of routes from the Vézelay Route including one through Dax from Mont-de-Marsan, one through Cambo from SJPdP. There are old and new pilgrim balisages all through this area. Be prepared for some roadway walking. I went directly from Saint-Palais to Irun but I wouldn’t recommend it.
John

If you search Voie de la Nive you will come up with routes to Bayonne. There are a number of routes from the Vézelay Route including one through Dax from Mont-de-Marsan, one through Cambo from SJPdP. There are old and new pilgrim balisages all through this area. Be prepared for some roadway walking. I went directly from Saint-Palais to Irun but I wouldn’t recommend it.
John
Thanks. (Through your suggestions I came across the route from Bayonne to Irun, which is lovely.) I see the map you linked, but it seems just a little short on the particulars of the route. The MdM-Dax-Bayonne route sounds like what we’re looking for. Where would I find out more about that? My searches haven’t yielded much. If we need to plot it out ourselves we can do that, but if there’s an off-road path, so much the better. I don’t mind the road part of roadway walking; it’s the traffic that worries me!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The MdM-Dax-Bayonne route sounds like what we’re looking for.

Did some digging and stumbled upon an old post by @lovingkindness who details a path from Saint-Sever (just south of Mont-de-Marsan) to Bayonne in 5 stages (about 110 km). It is an old post (June 14, 2011), but it might be worth your while to contact the Office de Tourisme in Mont-de-Marsan about this alternative route.

Last edited:
Hello @Grammy Kin
I have walked through Schengen to Vézelay then on via Bayonne to Santiago de Compostelle (2010-2011).

I overnighted in Perl then spent the following day exploring Schengen before returning to Perl and continuing on to the frontière. From the border town of Sieck-les-Bains until Touls le chemin de Saint Jacques switched frequently between marked trails and paths following a variety of randonée signs, beacons and markers. In 2011 official yellow-on-blue Camino signs were rare. Today (2019) there are more Camino signs.

From Trier to Vézelay I used a spiral bound guide book with detailed coloured maps and an easy to follow list for when trail signs changed. [edited]

From Vézelay to Saint Sever I followed le Voie de Vézelay then switched routes, following an old railway line and a river via Dax to Bayonne after which I walked the beach and coast to Irun.

Here are some links to follow:

Trier to Vézelay

Guide books (3):
*https://www.isbn.de/buch/9783936990492_jakobsweg-von-apostelgrab-zu-apostelgrab.htm

*https://www.conrad-stein-verlag.de/buecher-shop/deutschland-frankreich-jakobsweg-trier-vezelay/

*www.st-jacques-lorraine.fr/asso_lorraine/nvx_site/notre-boutique/

Helpful associations
*Germany: In Trier pilgrimage information and help are available at the Dom St Petrus, provided by the Santjakobusbruderschaft Trier e.V .

*France: Les amis de St Jacques region Lorraine and a pdf

Vézelay to Bayonne…
Saint Sever to Bayonne : Most of the information is still valid.

Bayonne - Biaritz - Irun : it is possible to follow the river l'Adour from Bayonne to the coast then walk the beach to Biarritz. From there one can follow Le Sentier Littoral, a coastal trail all the way to Hendaye. It is beautiful.

Bidart to St-Jean-de-Luz followed by St-Jean-de-Luz to Hendaye

Bon Chemin!
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Hello @Grammy Kin
I have walked via Schengen to Vézelay then on to Santiago de Compostele via Bayonne (Trondheim to SdC, 2010-2011).

From Trier to Vézelay I had an excellent spiral bound guide book with detailed coloured maps and an easy to follow list for when trail signs changed. Included were facilities and accommodation suggestions. (From the border town of Sieck-les-Bains until Touls le chemin de Saint Jacques switches frequently between marked trails and paths following a variety of randonée signs, beacons and markers. In 2011 official yellow-on-blue Camino signs were rare. Today (2019) there are more Camino signs).

From Vézelay to Saint Sever I followed le Voie de Vézelay then switched routes, following an old railway line and a river via Dax to Bayonne after which I walked the beach and coast to Irun.

Here are some links to follow:

Trier to Vézelay

Guide books (3):
*https://www.isbn.de/buch/9783936990492_jakobsweg-von-apostelgrab-zu-apostelgrab.htm

*https://www.conrad-stein-verlag.de/buecher-shop/deutschland-frankreich-jakobsweg-trier-vezelay/

*www.st-jacques-lorraine.fr/asso_lorraine/nvx_site/notre-boutique/

Helpful associations
*Germany: In Trier pilgrimage information and help are available at the Dom St Petrus, provided by the Santjakobusbruderschaft Trier e.V .

*France: Les amis de St Jacques region Lorraine and a pdf

Vézelay to Bayonne…
Saint Sever to Bayonne : Most of the information is still valid.

Bayonne - Biaritz - Irun : it is possible to follow the river l'Adour from Bayonne to the coast then walk the beach to Biarritz. From there one can follow Le Sentier Littoral, a coastal trail all the way to Hendaye. It is beautiful.

Bidart to St-Jean-de-Luz followed by St-Jean-de-Luz to Hendaye

Bon Chemin!
Lovingkindness
Wow! Thanks so much to you both for your help. This gives us lots to review and consider. We enjoyed walking from Le Puy to SJPP and decided we want more delicious French meals. I chose Vézelay because an ancestor was born in Limoges in the 1600s and I’m interested in seeing that countryside. You’ve made it much more doable!
With much appreciation,
GrammyKin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Salut @Grammy Kin

Here are some other possibilities… just a few :)

Last year (2018) I walked from Freiburg-im-Breisgau( near the Rhein) to Taizé passing over the hills and forests of the Alsace, through the vineyards of Bourgogne (Les Climats) then on to La Saône. From Dôle to Abbaye de Cîteaux my path coincided with another Chemin de Saint Jacques which lead on to Vézelay.

...the aroma of Bœuf bourguignon; wild grapes dangling from trees….

links:
*Resource: Freiburg im Breisgau to Taize (2018)

*Chemin de Compostelle en Bourgogne: Dôle to Vézelay pdf

*Website: Confraternity des Pèlerins de Saint Jacques de Compostelle en Bourgogne

Cheers
Lovingkindness
carte-st-jacques-bourgogne.jpg

Last edited:
Oh goodness. We may have to come back in a couple of years for yet another route!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.