• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Routine police patrols along the Camino?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Local police and the Guardia Civil patrol regularly along the vehicle-accessible parts of the path.

Yes. Just before i reached Santiago in 2010 on the Camino Ingles I was stopped by the Guardia Civil and asked if I had encountered any problems and needed any advice about anything. I also saw them regularly when I did the via de la plata, I don't think they miss much.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've often seen the Guardia Civil around the Camino and, on a very hot day in Catalonia (over 35°C), they insisted on driving me to the next village where they made me orange juice at their office before I continued on. Between Montserrat and Igualada, I saw them on mountain bikes on the trail (although most of the hikers were recreational, not pilgrim) and they checked with me to see if I needed anything.

I got randomly spot-checked by the police on the Camino Portugues. After they'd checked my passport they stamped my credencial. So yes, they are visible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first summer that I walked I saw them at least three times. The first time was a scorching day in July on the long straight stretch after Los Arcos. I was sitting alone under the closest thing to a shade tree. Two people I knew stopped to have a sit and a cigarette. a van pulled up and insisted on giving us water. While I was explaining that I had water, five or six bikers arrived and water was given to everyone. I went from alone to a party of ten in the space of 5 minutes! The next time I was sitting alone, contentedly eating my Oreos before San Juan de Ortega. I guess that looks like you need help. The third time I was actually on my feet and they just drove on and waved. They are there. Three summers later I saw a pilgrim who was asked to spread out all of his pack contents for inspection.

I was walking this last March-April on the Francis and noticed routine patrols, which were more regular in the second week of April--at that point we saw them every day (sometimes more than once) whereas before this had been more sporadic. The GC were always polite, and professional/vigilant.
(Edit: Also, as a solo woman I have often had the experience of being asked if I was OK by passing pilgrims while I was sitting down just off the Camino enjoying the quiet. It was actually quite reassuring to know we were all keeping an eye on each other.)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Cruz Roja is also present with trained EMT's sometimes in vans patrolling along the Camino and you can find their local offices as you enter or leave many villages.
DSC00589.JPG
This was case of someone who had twisted ankle near Calzadilla de la Cueza.
I think their offices would be a very good place to report any odd activities as well.

Last edited:
I had contact with the CV four times on my first Camino, solo male with lots of tattoos, and still they were sincerely concerned with any problems I had encountered on the way. Good group and the last ones told me to remember it was "112" not "911" like the states, then went further by giving me their own numbers. I wish I would have know about the passport stamp, they never even asked for it.

Yes, there are patrols. And now with the reported attacks, robbery attempts and attempted kidnapping, the Civil Protection Unit is now beginning to patrol the Camino in an effort to keep people safe. Read more about the Civil Protection Patrols here. Google translate can help if you don't read Spanish.

Overall the Camino Frances is very safe and there will be hoards of people walking with you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes they are. Walking the lonely stretch from Sahagun to Reliegos in 2014, I was greeted thrice in 2 hours by officers from Civil Protection, Local Police or Guardia Civil as they passed me during their patrol where the Camino runs parallel to the road.
A few weeks ago on the Camino Portugues, a uniformed Civil Protection officer jump out of his ute as he saw me approach, greeted me, asked if things were okay, then stamped my Credential with a nice sello that says Proteccion Civil, Concello de Valga. Nice!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back