• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD RT-LAMP tests available for travellers from Canada to take with us.

• Thread starter Former member 91017
  • Start date
OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
F

Former member 91017

Those flying to/from Canada can google “RT-LAMP Switch Health” and receive the full details from the Switch Health company.

But here are the basics: you order the kit in advance of your trip — I’d suggest a lead-time of 1 month because they sometimes run out.

The kit arrives with 2 tests in it. One is for departure from Canada; the other for your return. (And if the rules fluctuate and your carrier does not require you to have a test before boarding your plane out of Canada, then you have a test you can use on the ground during your camino).

I do not know how much they cost on the open market, but Air Canada passengers can buy them with aeroplan miles (which is what I did).

The tests are good in their unbroken packages for 9 months.

You can take the test and have a QR code sent back in 45 minutes after the health provider on the other end has observed you taking the test and receiving the results where you are. No appointments, no searching for a location to do the test, and no lag time to worry about.

I have a kit arriving for me for my April Norte…. And one will be a stocking stuffer for Dear Spouse, who has the cancelled CP finally rescheduled and ticketed for May. He departs on his camino a week after I return from mine.

We are assuming that things will continue on a positive trajectory from here, and we heard from our FP last week that our entire family will be eligible to have our Pfizer/Comirnity booster shots (those things I was told were conjecture and probably unnecessary) in December.

Things are looking up, and like some of the logistics are improving.

If you’re anxious about the testing or the booster issue (or both), take heart. And to my fellow residents in Canada, I heard today that there’s a 20% off Osprey sale at MEC.

Buen Camino a todos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Those flying to/from Canada can google “RT-LAMP Switch Health” and receive the full details from the Switch Health company.

But here are the basics: you order the kit in advance of your trip — I’d suggest a lead-time of 1 month because they sometimes run out.

The kit arrives with 2 tests in it. One is for departure from Canada; the other for your return. (And if the rules fluctuate and your carrier does not require you to have a test before boarding your plane out of Canada, then you have a test you can use on the ground during your camino).

I do not know how much they cost on the open market, but Air Canada passengers can buy them with aeroplan miles (which is what I did).

The tests are good in their unbroken packages for 9 months.

You can take the test and have a QR code sent back in 45 minutes after the health provider on the other end has observed you taking the test and receiving the results where you are. No appointments, no searching for a location to do the test, and no lag time to worry about.

I have a kit arriving for me for my April Norte…. And one will be a stocking stuffer for Dear Spouse, who has the cancelled CP finally rescheduled and ticketed for May. He departs on his camino a week after I return from mine.

We are assuming that things will continue on a positive trajectory from here, and we heard from our FP last week that our entire family will be eligible to have our Pfizer/Comirnity booster shots (those things I was told were conjecture and probably unnecessary) in December.

Things are looking up, and like some of the logistics are improving.

If you’re anxious about the testing or the booster issue (or both), take heart. And to my fellow residents in Canada, I heard today that there’s a 20% off Osprey sale at MEC.

Buen Camino a todos.
ty for the info as I am hoping to walk again in 2022. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for posting the info about the testing kits - I have not really been paying attention to what's needed....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for posting the info about the testing kits - I have not really been paying attention to what's needed....

Hold on to your hats!
Canada Fed Public Health Agency (PHAC) returning to requiring PCR tests to re-enter. If you both a LAMP test do not ditch it though! Who knows what the rules will be when you go, and the regular RATs do not have the certification that the SWITCH health kits provide.

For those who, like I do, spend a few days in Paris before catching the flight home, you can do the take-with-you test, or just get tested at a pharmacy in Paris. I was worried about timing, appointments, cost, French healthcare portals, etc, until I asked at the hotel. The concierge wearily pulled a map out from a pile, showing me the hours and the direct route on foot to get to a pharmacy. Tourists can walk into some (but not all) pharmacies and pay for a PCR test without any appointment. Connie and I walked in, showed the map to the pharmacist, and were both tested in 15 minutes on a Saturday morning. Total cost 84 euros.....for BOTH of us. We had the results via a texted link in five hours. Warning, the pharmacies are closed on Sundays. This was in November of this year. All the hotels know where to send you, they get asked this question every day.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back