• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rubicon

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

Such sadness has washed over me, and some others who have posted and or contacted me, since seeing Davebugg’s post. The trouble with a virtual conversation is that you cannot truly see the eyes of the other person, and forgive me for using this example, those who cannot see: I say this because I would love to have the person in front of me who threw the glass at Davebugg. I would love to ask him to reconsider his action. I would love to let him see the harm he has done as a result of his lack of tolerance and human respect. This is a call to me, and to each one who reads this: think, think and think again, before opening my/your mouth to wound another person.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you really think the glassthrower is going to be ashamed or will feel bad by what he did? Really? The world is full of Adam Henry’s who think it is riotous fun to injure someone who is older, weaker, or et.al. Than themselves. I am not as nice as Dave so things would have turned out differently. Heading to Astorga tomorrow, so who knows what the next weeks hold.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think Davebug took a lot of wrong decisions. The first one was not let the police took this bastard to the judge. I think a nigth sleeping in a dungeon in a police station would be exemplary for him. Im sure he would love to trow wine to their mates at the dungeon. Usually that kind of person are only brave with the weaks.
Letting him to walk freely in the Camino could give him temptations of repeat this behavior. I hope he try this again, but this time choosing the wrong target. Would love to hear about him bledding in his broken nose.
Sorry for that bad feelings, but CANT bear with that kind of thugs. I felt sick, I DONT want them in my country. I joined the military for forty years just to figth again abusers. It makes me mad.

Last edited:
Such sadness has washed over me,.
Same here.
I haven’t even pm-ed people I knew would feel the same because.... I am so....
wordless I suppose....
So unnecessary. So pointless. When there is such sadness in the world anyway at the moment! 800 victims and more to come no doubt....
I’m sad today but I think tomorrow will come the anger!

Unfortunately, we live in a world with lots of egotistical tosspots. These people see nothing beyond themselves. MY MY MY..... me me me.

......... I am somebody because I have/ I have done/ I own........., therefore I am owed/ I can say/I can do.........

Sometimes, well educated, yet uneducated oafs,have viewpoints being informed and influenced by media, movies, others skewed viewpoints, and social media, with a lack of self awareness and being able to think for themselves, a lack of care, sympathy and empathy............ a lack of humanity.

Yet the world is also has lots of good people, enlightened souls, those searching, reaching to become the best people they can. Those who give what they can, to others, and the world, and expect nothing in return. this can be a simple act of kindness, a smile, a listening ear, a million dollars, really its all the same, depending what you can afford.

I am sorry for davebugg and what happened. And I agree with all the points in the previous posts.

But I believe that saying nothing,or inaction,in response to such behavior, condones the perpetrators.

(yet equally just because someone doesn't say something, doesn't mean they dont have anything to say)

I guess we have to trust, that we do what we feel is right, in any given situation, and cut others slack when they do the same. Sometimes we will be right, sometimes not, (depending on your point of view).

In today's global world we all have access to instantaneous news and reactions ,( Trump, Brexit etc spring to mind),. But no one person is responsible, these have been societal shifts and reactions, due to decades of other societal shifts and reactions. We, as the human race, and global society are still evolving ( hence the neanderthal types still being here)

I came to a realisation years ago that my life isn't about me, it is about all the other people my life affects, through my words, my gestures, my actions. This is what I may be judged on, at the end of my days.

So to conclude, from the Cambridge dictionary "Rubicon : to do something that you cannot later change and will strongly influence future events:

Yes, what has happened cannot be changed, and yes, it will influence future events for both davebugg, and his extended family,(possibly including members of this forum)

Maybe this will be a catalyst for some, to understand racism, (which has been happening forever) and how debilitating it is, whether based on colour, creed, social status, ethinic minority, or nationality.

But it is up to each and every one of us how we react. Will we be passive and let it go, as this incident happened to someone else, or will we be proactive , and speak up and act for those experiencing such racism, wherever we witness it?

James

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But it is up to each and every one of us how we react. Will we be passive and let it go, as this incident happened to someone else, or will we be proactive , and speak up and act for those experiencing such racism, wherever we witness it?
Externally and internally: not to act or speak from hatred if we find ourselves about to do that.
It's a virus and we all can catch it.
Or be cured of it.
We choose.

I just listened to this podcast. Each segment blew me away on so many levels.

Unfortunately, we live in a world with lots of egotistical tosspots. These people see nothing beyond themselves. MY MY MY..... me me me.

......... I am somebody because I have/ I have done/ I own........., therefore I am owed/ I can say/I can do.........

Sometimes, well educated, yet uneducated oafs,have viewpoints being informed and influenced by media, movies, others skewed viewpoints, and social media, with a lack of self awareness and being able to think for themselves, a lack of care, sympathy and empathy............ a lack of humanity.

Yet the world is also has lots of good people, enlightened souls, those searching, reaching to become the best people they can. Those who give what they can, to others, and the world, and expect nothing in return. this can be a simple act of kindness, a smile, a listening ear, a million dollars, really its all the same, depending what you can afford.

I am sorry for davebugg and what happened. And I agree with all the points in the previous posts.

But I believe that saying nothing,or inaction,in response to such behavior, condones the perpetrators.

(yet equally just because someone doesn't say something, doesn't mean they dont have anything to say)

I guess we have to trust, that we do what we feel is right, in any given situation, and cut others slack when they do the same. Sometimes we will be right, sometimes not, (depending on your point of view).

In today's global world we all have access to instantaneous news and reactions ,( Trump, Brexit etc spring to mind),. But no one person is responsible, these have been societal shifts and reactions, due to decades of other societal shifts and reactions. We, as the human race, and global society are still evolving ( hence the neanderthal types still being here)

I came to a realisation years ago that my life isn't about me, it is about all the other people my life affects, through my words, my gestures, my actions. This is what I may be judged on, at the end of my days.

So to conclude, from the Cambridge dictionary "Rubicon : to do something that you cannot later change and will strongly influence future events:

Yes, what has happened cannot be changed, and yes, it will influence future events for both davebugg, and his extended family,(possibly including members of this forum)

Maybe this will be a catalyst for some, to understand racism, (which has been happening forever) and how debilitating it is, whether based on colour, creed, social status, ethinic minority, or nationality.

James
I agree with every word you said but... the harm has been done and however proactive I want to be, I cannot undo it?
One man was hurt, deeply and through him, most of us on here.
I am at a loss as to what to do...

Externally and internally: not to act or speak from hatred if we find ourselves about to do that.
It's a virus and we all can catch it.
Or be cured of it.
We choose.

I just listened to this podcast. Each segment blew me away on so many levels.
Thanks for the link. I have listened only to the first one, and will listen to the rest now. A salve for hurt, a real call to hope.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the link. I have listened only to the first one, and will listen to the rest now. A salve for hurt, a real call to hope.
Vnwalking, thank you. I found the button to turn the talks into video rather than just audio. In particular, the fourth one had me holding my breath. I changed his naming of America to ‘the world’ because he is describing the wider reality of the world, not just America.

In particular, the fourth one had me holding my breath. I changed his naming of America to ‘the world’ because he is describing the wider reality of the world, not just America.
Yes, exactly. This one totally blew me away.
Not only does it explain what hate does for people and where it comes from, but shows that it's not inevidable or irredeemable - nor does it necessarily spread to victims.

A CAUTION to all.... that posts with political references (disguised or not) will be deleted without comment.
This thread has remained respectful and thoughtful thus far....but please be cautious that your personal political opinions are not included in your posts.

Thanks for respecting the forum policies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back