• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rucksac cover with hard of hearing sign.

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese "2015" missed one day. Portuguese "May 2016" ."2019" April/ May Portuguese Senda Litoral
Has anyone come across a cover for ruck sacs with a hard of hearing sign?
On my two Caminos I have had a few very close calls with cyclists riding up behind very fast and nearly hitting me. On every occasion I not heard them approaching. The worst was on a slight downhill section of a smooth track and I sidestepped to avoid a pile of dog muck and the person I was walking with for that section must have heard the bike and seen me moving into its path and grabbed me just as the bike rider pushed me with their arm and was sent them off into a bank of brambles. I don't know who was shocked most, ( I was glad I don't speak Spanish as translating his expletives I'm sure would have upset my delicate ears!)
I have mild Tinnitus and combined with the wind blowing it is a recipe for disaster for me. I am sorting my pack for the next Camino on 25th April and I just wondered if there is such a cover out there. ( UK based)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my two Caminos I have had a few very close calls with cyclists riding up behind very fast and nearly hitting me. On every occasion I not heard them approaching. The worst was on a slight downhill section of a smooth track and I sidestepped to avoid a pile of dog muck and the person I was walking with for that section must have heard the bike and seen me moving into its path and grabbed me just as the bike rider pushed me with their arm and was sent them off into a bank of brambles. I don't know who was shocked most, ( I was glad I don't speak Spanish as translating his expletives I'm sure would have upset my delicate ears!)
I have mild Tinnitus and combined with the wind blowing it is a recipe for disaster for me. I am sorting my pack for the next Camino on 25th April and I just wondered if there is such a cover out there. ( UK based)
I would check with the local society for the hearing impaired who might have access to resources for the disabled, I would think they could at least point you in the right direction. Barring that you could modify and existing pack cover with your own design using a local embroiderer or T-shirt shop silk screen design

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

A patch is a great idea but that symbol might be hard to parse by the cyclist bearing down on you at Tour de France speed.

I’d be inclined to supplement it with words:

SORDO

DEAF

True, the OP said he’s hard of hearing rather than deaf, but I wouldn’t quibble about semantics with rampaging cyclists.

Now to make my own large patch that says:

TIMBRE POR FAVOR

A patch is a great idea but that symbol might be hard to parse by the cyclist bearing down on you at Tour de France speed.
You have a point. It struck me that a wheelchair badge is more likely to have an effect on a cyclist's behaviour than the unfamiliar hearing impaired symbol - even if a wheelchair does not accurately describe the OP's situation. "Sordo" would make things clearer to Spanish and Italian speakers. "Deaf" would do for English speakers. Perhaps with those two words, you'll only get hit by French cyclists. At some point, you start to resemble a racing car driver ...

As a cycling pilgrim (and also a walking pilgrim) I am sad to hear this. But given that the rider appears to be (or at least speaks) Spanish I am not surprised. Also given the apparent speed of the bike I doubt the rider would have had time to read or even understand any such sign. Buen Camino!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I hear you, Bisnick. Well, actually, I don’t because I am also deaf, and a cyclist, so I sympathise with you over your close encounters with inconsiderate cyclists. A high viz rucksack cover with deaf/sordo inscribed in large black letters - no need for fancy embroidery - might help. All speakers of romance languages should understand sordo. I wish you safe walking.

I also experienced this @Bisnick and couldn't find anything suitable for my pack. It is easy enough to find pin badges but they are 6 cm at best and may not be large enough for the cyclist to see in time. I ended up improvising by purchasing a t-shirt from the website redbubble and cutting the symbol out to sew on the soft pocket on the back of my pack. Works a treat. I just noticed that they have tote bags also which pinned to a pack would also double in use when out shopping at night. Maybe not for everyone of course but it does help me.

More importantly, if you click onto the artist name, sweetsixty, she invites people to contact her for custom pieces. Perhaps you can contact her and request a cover? I include the link to her page below. She is also based in the UK. Might be worth investigating and easier than customising something yourself. Goodluck.

Just an idea but what about iron on vinyl? If you know some one who has a cricut machine they could cut out the Sordo/Deaf words and then you could iron them onto a pack cover. I do not know how long the words would stay ironed on but it is worth a shot to look into.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm sorry to hear of your scary experience. Not once in 500 miles did I use earbuds. I hear perfectly well but I was also uncomfortable with just a few of the cyclists on my Camino who overtook me with way too much speed and no warning making it dangerous for them, me and other walkers around us. The downhills present the most danger because it is likely the cyclists will be traveling faster and due to erosion there are probably more loose rocks making it more difficult for a cyclists to slow down quickly and/or take evasive action and stay in control. I found I was most comfortable if I just checked over my shoulder periodically during long descents and when I saw or became aware of cyclists coming I kept checking while walking and then when they were close to me, I moved off the trail if it was apparent they were traveling fast enough to injure someone if they lost control. I think the sign on you back pack will be of little use and if it gives you a false sense of security, then it is a mistake to use it. A cyclist going downhill at speed is aware that he may crash due to a pilgrim stepping into his path so he/she is looking ahead at potential obstacles including pilgrims, rocks, ruts, traffic but he notices these things as objects to be aware of, not objects to be studied in detail. You will be noticed by the biker as: first, a human being, second as a human being walking predictably in a relatively straight line or erratically and third, as a large, medium or small human being and if you have a large colorful pack that might get noticed too. As the cyclists gets close enough to read the sign on your pack he is already looking at the pilgrims and the road/trail surface 30+ feet ahead of you. At this point you are just a human form in his peripheral vision and no brain power is being used to identify any more detail than that because he will be past you in just a second or two and there is probably nothing he can do at this point to avoid you if you make a sudden move into his path. (remember, I'm talking about cyclists who are going very fast, overtaking you very quickly who are the most dangerous and guarantee injury if you collide with them). The cyclist that reads your sign and then figures out the message is meant for him and then decides if he should bother changing his speed or distance from you is going slow enough that a collision with him is much less likely to happen and if it does, much less likely to result in injury. Please be proactive for your own safety and look back up the hills for any cyclists.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your contributions and ideas, I was going with the sewing or glue on a sign on my sac but wondered if anyone had come across such an item. Think I will add SORDO as well underneath, especially after today as I was reading Thomas the Tank Engine books to one of my grandchildren. He lives on the island of Sodor!
If anyone should come across me walking the Portuguese Senda Litoral from Porto on 25th April please say hello. I will be walking with another gent who is really deaf. You may hear us shouting to each other before you see us !!

Thank you everyone for your contributions and ideas, I was going with the sewing or glue on a sign on my sac but wondered if anyone had come across such an item. Think I will add SORDO as well underneath, especially after today as I was reading Thomas the Tank Engine books to one of my grandchildren. He lives on the island of Sodor!
If anyone should come across me walking the Portuguese Senda Litoral from Porto on 25th April please say hello. I will be walking with another gent who is really deaf. You may hear us shouting to each other before you see us !!
Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Should cyclists not have bells fitted to their machines AND USE IT when they approach a pilgrim !?

I can't imagine that a sign will do that much good

Much better, I suggest, to ensure that the cyclist won't try to get through in the first place (if there are two of you walking together on a narrow path then try to leave no gaps that a cyclist would be temped to go through) - as well as looking behind before you make a sudden move change so that you can spot any cyclists - and take special care on downhill sections when cyclists are likely to be riding quickly

PS I also take special enjoyment when passing cyclists on uphill sections

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back