• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rucksack/backpack size?

Donnelly Deirdre

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2017
Hi!
Im starting the full Camino from SJPDP on Sep 23, Im considering a backpack purchase, a friend has a second hand 35L one she can lend me, or would a 40L be better? Im thinking how much room a sleeping bag will take up etc and i am following the 10% rule. Any advice would be great

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
FIRST!!! DO NOT follow the 10% rule, unless you are 100 lb. A 35L pack should cover most needs. I have a 48L and a very light sleeping bag, (1 lb), that I stuff into the bottom and access it via a bottom zipper so everything stays in the top till I need it. The smaller the pack, the lighter it is by itself. And as Trecile says, make sure it fits you. Very important.

The last thing anyone wants to do is stop in the middle of a hill and tear a bunch of stuff out of it to lighten the load. But it happens all the time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks all, so what would you recommend weight wise? i am a very light packer and i realise less is more on the hills. i guess i need to just take what i need and not worry about weight

Nah, don't worry about the weight... you can always toss things overboard :) There are a ton of posts on equipment recommendations, including backpacks and sizing, so make use of the search engine to help get you started with your research. :)

30l is perfect for me, whichever you choose do know that all along the Camino you will collect an amazing amount of flotsam and jetsam, souvenirs, papers-receipts-Mary/Jesus/James cards from the churches, and in Santiago mementos, Pimentón de la Vera-that is smoked Spanish paprika, maybe some Spanish saffron, I highly recommend a visit to the Librería San Pablo -rúa du Vilar 37 which will put a wonderful book/photo album maybe two into your packpack, a ceramic or metal shell, as well as your Compostela. All meaning that you should reserve a bit of space for your memories!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As others have said, pick the bag for 'fit'.
35 L should be ample.

Depending on your sleeping bag of course!

If it's a down filled -20 C Arctic job, 35L might not do it ;)

Hi!
Im starting the full Camino from SJPDP on Sep 23, Im considering a backpack purchase, a friend has a second hand 35L one she can lend me, or would a 40L be better? Im thinking how much room a sleeping bag will take up etc and i am following the 10% rule. Any advice would be great
My husband is brutal at keeping our weight down, we carry 30L rucksacks and manage to carry everything we need. Sleeping bags, spare clothes, spare shoes, waterproofs, toiletries, kindle, passport, money, snacks and water, Usually comes in under 6kg.

I used a 30 and it was fine. I had a sleeping bag liner rather than a sleeping bag. But even if you took a sleeping bag, 35 should be fine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For me it has been more about the volume of the stuff inside my pack and less about the weight. I am using every bit of my 32 liter pack because my sleeping bag takes up a lot of room (volume) inside of it. If it was summer and I just needed a liner, then I would have lots of extra space in my pack. As it is there is just enough room for winter gear and nothing else! YMMV I think 30-40 liters is a good range as far as pack size. Choose a pack with good suspension and comfortable straps and make sure it fits the length of your back or is super-adjustable like those Deuter packs.

I have the same issue. I have a 30L backpack but fear it may be too small. I kept on eye on some Irish second-hand sites and just found an unused (2015 version) AlpinePro AirZone Pro+ 35:45 backpack for €45. The same pack new is: €139. So for that money and the comfort of having a bigger bag it looks a good deal. So check your your local second-hand stores or sites -- you never know.

Hi!
A 35l pack should be fine, but the one thing I’d caution you on is getting a pack that is properly fitted to your body. If you and your friend have the same build then you may be okay, but I would give the pack a good tryout before committing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have the same issue. I have a 30L backpack but fear it may be too small. I kept on eye on some Irish second-hand sites and just found an unused (2015 version) AlpinePro AirZone Pro+ 35:45 backpack for €45. The same pack new is: €139. So for that money and the comfort of having a bigger bag it looks a good deal. So check your your local second-hand stores or sites -- you never know.

The Alpine is the same as mine and I have never had to use the 10 ltr extension, my fits like a glove, very good make.

Last edited:
The 35 liter should be fine, if it fits you well.
The key point is "if it fits you well." Learn the procedure for fitting the pack -- there are many online videos that show you how.

The key point is "if it fits you well." Learn the procedure for fitting the pack -- there are many online videos that show you how.
Thanks Jim, for the advice. I picked up my pack last night. Brand new with all the price tags attached. Got it for €50, price tag €140. Happy days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi!
Hi Deirdre
I'm planning to start the full Camino at more or less the same time, in mid September, though nothing is yet booked in terms of travel arrangements. I'm waiting to see what happens with the French rail strikes.
It will be my first Camino. Many many years ago I did one of England's long distance footpaths which made me painfully aware of what happens when you carry too much weight in the backpack, and I considered myself to be quite fit at that time. I decided to buy an Exos 38 backpack a few weeks ago. (it's the original model as the new versions of the Exos 38 pack have undergone several changes to the design). As I purchased a pack with the Long backlength size the Exos 38 is in fact a 40L volume. I'm now experimenting by putting into it items that I intend to take - and using the guidance from others on this forum and from YT etc where to locate them within the pack. The most recent purchase was the Highlander Trekker Superlite sleeping bag that weighs about 550-600g and is quite compact. Comfort rating of 12 Celsius. Upon arrival it has a dimension of 25 cm x 15 cm. their website says you can get this down to about 17 x 15 with the compression straps. Not tried it as it's still unopened. I intend to use it with a silk sleeping bag liner and cross my fingers, toes, arms and legs that this combination will be substantial enough to keep me warm most if not all of the time. According to the internet there's a shop in Pamplona where I can pick up the same model of sleeping bag should the single bag/liner not be warm enough.
I've got 75-80% of the items that I plan to take in the backpack and there's still a little bit of space left in it. Current weight is just below 6kg. I will follow the 10% rule fairly rigidly which allows me almost 2kg more if I need it. I have yet to figure out all the various pockets, loops and draw cords that festoon the Exos backpack, something to sort out in the coming months. I do a lot of walking and am currently getting my daughter through a training programme for a 65-mile walk that she is undertaking in 2 weeks time - May 5. My small and simple pack that I take on these training walks weighs about 5.5 kg in total and though it's no problem most of the time on the flat or whilst descending, the 5.5kg weight certainly makes a big difference to going uphill. Of course the beauty of packs such as the Exos is that they are designed to put much of the weight bearing loading onto the hips and not so much on the shoulders. A well fitted pack optimises this arrangement. I have tried wearing the Exos pack around the home and walking up and down the stairs!! Seems ok to me at the mo' but it still pays to take it steady whilst going uphill.

Buen Camino!

I took a 40 L, but only because i’m very tall (smaller didnt fit torso) and it was late winter, so I had sleeping bag. Per volume only, 30L is plenty. I carried some of my wife’s stuff, and even with sleeping gear it weighed 18 lbs.

Hi!

Fit is most important, of course. My 38 liter Osprey was perfect for autumn CF, and I wouldn’t have wanted one that was smaller after watching a friend struggle daily with her 29 liter zippered pack. But don’t forget that packs can vary greatly in weight, an important factor in your decision.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Alpine is the same as mine and I have never had to use the 10 ltr extension, my fits like a glove, very good make.

To ring the changes here, I have the same backpack and really needed the extra 10l. A big factor is whether you will be carrying your sleeping bag and evening shoes inside the rucksack or strapped to the outside. I did the former and couldn't have got away with using less than the full 45l. I'm *very* glad I didn't listen to all the people saying a 30l backpack is just fine!

To ring the changes here, I have the same backpack and really needed the extra 10l. A big factor is whether you will be carrying your sleeping bag and evening shoes inside the rucksack or strapped to the outside. I did the former and couldn't have got away with using less than the full 45l. I'm *very* glad I didn't listen to all the people saying a 30l backpack is just fine!
I did have my sleeping bag in the backpack but my sandles where hanging on the back.

I did have my sleeping bag in the backpack but my sandles where hanging on the back.
Right. I have a chunky down sleeping bag though - if you're one of these people with the ultralight tiny ones you'll need a lot less space :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Right. I have a chunky down sleeping bag though - if you're one of these people with the ultralight tiny ones you'll need a lot less space :)
It certainly isn’t ultra light, it weighs 820 grams but it does pack down really small. I also have to say I didn’t take many clothes with, just one complete change.

It certainly isn’t ultra light, it weighs 820 grams but it does pack down really small. I also have to say I didn’t take many clothes with, just one complete change

Thanks all, so what would you recommend weight wise? i am a very light packer and i realise less is more on the hills. i guess i need to just take what i need and not worry about weight
Do Worry About Weight! it will help you gage WHAT you “ really, really NEED” ! I’m 5’8, and have managed quite well, nothing missing on both Caminos (Le Puy. and Francès) with 6.7 K approx, including 1.5 L of water in a 34 L Osprey backpack. There is a limit to the 10% rule of thumb if you are petite, of course. whatever you do... buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have a 28l pack that weighs 880g and without water and poles I’ve got the packed weight to under 6kg. More than big enough. I’m walking in September so just carrying a silk liner and light weight fleece blanket (total 395g) plus packing 3 t shirts, 1 long sleeved top, lightweight down jacket, rain poncho, 3 leggings, 4 undies, 2 bras, 3 socks plus 3 sock liners ( stops blisters for me) , comfy plastic sandals for night and shower, small medical kit, toiletries( this weighs a bit as I need specific lotions and potions), sun hat, sunglasses, buff, pack cover, flouro safety vest for road walking(I think required by law?), water bladder, spork, plus a small shoulder bag for valuables and things I need easy access to that I’ll always keep with me ie passport, phone, credencio etc. oh and walking poles. If course I’ll be wearing one of the sets of clothes each day

I used a 24 L pack on my 2nd Camino thinking I would be super quick with such a tiny bag. What I discovered, it was stuffed to the gills and a puzzle to get everything in just so, so it would close. I could fit my camel pack, but anything extra(food mostly) I would have to dangle from the outside. I now take the same amount of stuff with a bigger (34l) volume and it is so much easier to just be able to throw an an extra loaf of bread, apples, etc. The weight difference between my two packs was not worth the extra hassle of the small one. If the pack fits, 35 should be fine. If you decide to go bigger try to avoid the temptation to throw in extra stuff, because you have the room.

Hi!

I bought a smaller lighter pack for my second Camino. Worked a treat except that it wouldn't fit my walking poles, by only about 2cm. Luckily my friend had enough space in hers, or I would have had to buy new poles in Spain.
So if you have to fly, and have poles you wish to take, make sure the pack will allow the length. The Deuter pack had a zip off compartment between the upper and lower parts of the pack. The Osprey didnt. I could have cut a hole but it was brand new.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think in summer you can get by with a sub 30 liter pack. However, recently (April) I saw quite a few people with “small” packs who had lots of stuff strapped on the outside and swinging about. I prefer to keep my gear on the inside, personally. I am extra cautious about keeping my gear dry. I even saw people carrying things in their hands, like camera bags and sleeping bags in stuff sacks. My hands were always holding onto my hiking poles!

Hi Deirdre
I'm planning to start the full Camino at more or less the same time, in mid September, though nothing is yet booked in terms of travel arrangements. I'm waiting to see what happens with the French rail strikes.
It will be my first Camino. Many many years ago I did one of England's long distance footpaths which made me painfully aware of what happens when you carry too much weight in the backpack, and I considered myself to be quite fit at that time. I decided to buy an Exos 38 backpack a few weeks ago. (it's the original model as the new versions of the Exos 38 pack have undergone several changes to the design). As I purchased a pack with the Long backlength size the Exos 38 is in fact a 40L volume. I'm now experimenting by putting into it items that I intend to take - and using the guidance from others on this forum and from YT etc where to locate them within the pack. The most recent purchase was the Highlander Trekker Superlite sleeping bag that weighs about 550-600g and is quite compact. Comfort rating of 12 Celsius. Upon arrival it has a dimension of 25 cm x 15 cm. their website says you can get this down to about 17 x 15 with the compression straps. Not tried it as it's still unopened. I intend to use it with a silk sleeping bag liner and cross my fingers, toes, arms and legs that this combination will be substantial enough to keep me warm most if not all of the time. According to the internet there's a shop in Pamplona where I can pick up the same model of sleeping bag should the single bag/liner not be warm enough.
I've got 75-80% of the items that I plan to take in the backpack and there's still a little bit of space left in it. Current weight is just below 6kg. I will follow the 10% rule fairly rigidly which allows me almost 2kg more if I need it. I have yet to figure out all the various pockets, loops and draw cords that festoon the Exos backpack, something to sort out in the coming months. I do a lot of walking and am currently getting my daughter through a training programme for a 65-mile walk that she is undertaking in 2 weeks time - May 5. My small and simple pack that I take on these training walks weighs about 5.5 kg in total and though it's no problem most of the time on the flat or whilst descending, the 5.5kg weight certainly makes a big difference to going uphill. Of course the beauty of packs such as the Exos is that they are designed to put much of the weight bearing loading onto the hips and not so much on the shoulders. A well fitted pack optimises this arrangement. I have tried wearing the Exos pack around the home and walking up and down the stairs!! Seems ok to me at the mo' but it still pays to take it steady whilst going uphill.

Buen Camino!

I LOVE my Exos 38 and find it quite adequate for the Camino. Good choice :)

Do not, repeat, DO NOT follow some random stranger on the internet or anywhere else who says you only need X number of liters. That person might be 5' and 90 lbs. If you're significantly larger, the advice that you can get away with a small pack will leave your pack bursting at the seams and you possibly ending your Camino early due to an ill-fitting pack.

If you're a bigger person, you might need to get up to the 45l-50l range before you find a pack that is actually comfortable to wear and can hold your clothes. Let me use myself for example. I'm 6'3'' and 300 lbs. I am not small person. When I go on an overnight trip, or anywhere that I need to bring an extra set of clothes, I have a regular old book-bag style backpack I use. the capacity is about 30 liters. I can fit a shirt, a pair of pants, sweatshirt, underwear and socks, and some basic toiletries in it. Things like a sleeping bag, rain jacket, water, a pair or sandals or sneakers, or any other gear that one might want on the Camino... just not happening. And even with just the regular amount of stuff I have in that bag, I would not want to walk 24-30 kilometers a day with it on. It would kill my back.

I remember talking to a petite woman on the Camino and were discussing packs. I told her the clothes I had packed, and she said it was about the same as she brought, so why did I need such a big pack? Well, one of my t-shirts had enough material to make 2 or 3 of hers. So multiply that over a couple of shirts, pants, socks, etc. and I just have more material to deal with. More material means more space and more weight, so a bigger bag is necessary.

Also, the time of year you walk is a factor as well. Someone in July and August has a much different pack list from someone walking in March. Long sleeves and pants and insulated jackets vs. shorts and t-shirts and thin rain jackets.

The best advice for choosing a pack is to go to a real outdoor store and get your torso measured. Try on a few different packs. Get a feel for them, what's comfortable, what's not. What has the features you're looking for. (Most outdoor stores should be able to load the pack up with weight so you can get a real feel for it.) But don't buy that day. See what packs you like, go home and do your research. Read the reviews. Unless the pack is made by some small boutique outfit, there's probably a dozen youtube reviews for it.

The 10% rule is okay for a basic guide. But don't kill yourself to reach it. If you're carrying 15% and it works for you, go for it!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.