• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rucksack malfunction - option to buy in Puente la Reina?

Mark2012

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012, 2014) Camino Finisterre (2012, 2013, 2014) Camino Portugues (2013), Camino del Norte (2015)
Hello all,

I'm currently stopping for the night in Zarequiegui and find that my trusty old rucksack (a veteran of 5 Caminos and now on a 6th!) is on the verge of falling apart.

So, I think I need to replace it. I will be walking through Puente la Reina tomorrow morning and, if memory serves, it's a reasonably-sized town. That being the case, I'm wondering if there might be a hiking or outdoors store there or just anywhere that might sell rucksacks? I'd rather not wait until Burgos if I can replace it sooner. Aside from anything else, the current rucksack may not make it that far.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello all,

I'm currently stopping for the night in Zarequiegui and find that my trusty old rucksack (a veteran of 5 Caminos and now on a 6th!) is on the verge of falling apart.

So, I think I need to replace it. I will be walking through Puente la Reina tomorrow morning and, if memory serves, it's a reasonably-sized town. That being the case, I'm wondering if there might be a hiking or outdoors store there or just anywhere that might sell rucksacks? I'd rather not wait until Burgos if I can replace it sooner. Aside from anything else, the current rucksack may not make it that far.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sorry to hear Mark. From what I just searched nothing much in Puente la Reina but there are Decathlon stores in Estella and in Logroño further on! Good luck!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Stop at as many Albergues as you can and ask if they have a Rucksack that needs a home - I have seen many secret rooms full of abandoned gear just wating for a new master ......ask as you walk ..till you can buy what you need if at all necessary?
A donation would be the right gesture for gear received.

My God I have heard of a wardrobe malfunction but not a backpack. I use an Osprey Stratos and that comes with a lifetime guarantee. Perhaps that may be an option if the funds allow it and they stock that brand. Failing that you may end up with the Huckleberry Finn option a stick and a handkerchief job. Anyhow best of luck I hope you get sorted

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There's definitely a big Decathlon on the way out of Estella which is a bit closer to where you currently are (if you can't find some lonely abandoned pack to adopt).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In 2015 I picked up a sleeping bag at a shop in Viana on the camino on the right just before the church. I'm having trouble remembering the name. Planet Agua?
Planeta Agua is a chain of outdoor stores that are in a few Camino locations. There's a small one in Zubiri and there's one in Logrono.

The best place is Pamplona with several stores to choose and it's just ten minutes by bus from Puente la Reina. Next day you can take the bus to Puente la Reina a 7am.

If this doesn't suit you Estella has some stores as well.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You mean you have a problem that duct tape can't solve? :rolleyes:

In 2015 I picked up a sleeping bag at a shop in Viana on the camino on the right just before the church. I'm having trouble remembering the name. Planet Agua?

Duct Tape is like Star Wars...

--there's a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

Mark
I walked with Sean last year who had 8 completed Caminos behind him, one even started from the UK.
Buen Camino and good luck with the rucksack :)

A friend of mine wrapped his feet in duct tape and it prevented him getting blisters. Funny thing though he changed brands on a different Camino and got blisters because the tape basically fell apart. Does that mean the 'reinforce' was not with him????:p

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As others have suggested, Logroño is the next location with a Decathlon sports department store. Check out www.decathlon.es.

As they are usually located in an industrial area outside the old town, ask at the local TI about a bus, or take a taxi.

Failing that option, and depending on the nature of the wound to your rucksack, find a local shoemaker who can stitch it for you. I think they are called zapaterías (maker of shoes).

These fellows typically have a "free arm" sewing machine that can reach into odd places to sew seams. That is how I have my rucksack repaired at home between Camino's.

I hope this helps.

You mean you have a problem that duct tape can't solve? :rolleyes:

That might be just the thing. In Sansol tonight. Started at Lorca at an unseemly hour (trying to beat the heat) and so passed through Estella too early to check anywhere. Going for a later start tomorrow, so Viana may well do the trick.

Thanks for that!

As others have suggested, Logroño is the next location with a Decathlon sports department store. Check out www.decathlon.es.

As they are usually located in an industrial area outside the old town, ask at the local TI about a bus, or take a taxi.

Failing that option, and depending on the nature of the wound to your rucksack, find a local shoemaker who can stitch it for you. I think they are called zapaterías (maker of shoes).

These fellows typically have a "free arm" sewing machine that can reach into odd places to sew seams. That is how I have my rucksack repaired at home between Camino's.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for that. Based on an earlier reply, I may have a chance to replace the rucksack in Viana tomorrow morning. Failing that, definitely Logrono. Do you is the Decathlon store within a walkable distance? This might sound unnecessarily hardcore, but I just hate the idea of resorting to any mode of transport other than my feet when on the Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The distance from the Logrono municipal albergue to Decathlon is roughly 4 km. Hit below for Google map to show you that way. After Decathlon you can join the camino as it leaves Logrono on the way to Navarette.

Albergue de Peregrinos to Decathlon Logroño via Av. República Argentina.--
https://goo.gl/maps/NiqJFRYjAnA2

That might be just the thing. In Sansol tonight. Started at Lorca at an unseemly hour (trying to beat the heat) and so passed through Estella too early to check anywhere. Going for a later start tomorrow, so Viana may well do the trick.

Thanks for that!
Finally found the place. The website has maps that should work for you but aren't pinning the location on them for me because of my ancient browser.

https://www.planeta-agua.com/inicio/planeta-agua/

Planeta Agua Viana
c/ Rua de Santa Maria 3 (between Plaza del Cozo and Plaza los Fueros)
31230 Viana
Navarra - España
Tlf. 948 64 65 12

Planeta Agua Logroño
c/ Avda Navarra 10
26001 Logroño
La Rioja - España
Tlf. 941 25 27 64

Leaving Logrono on the camino head for the Parque de la Grajera, and la Cabana del Tio Juarvi, a simple cafe/resto open everyday from 08:00. Do stop for a lakeside drink or meal on your way to Navarette; the camino passes the door. Here is their web -- http://www.lacabanadeltiojuarvi.es/es/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Finally found the place. The website has maps that should work for you but aren't pinning the location on them for me because of my ancient browser.

https://www.planeta-agua.com/inicio/planeta-agua/

Planeta Agua Viana
c/ Rua de Santa Maria 3 (between Plaza del Cozo and Plaza los Fueros)
31230 Viana
Navarra - España
Tlf. 948 64 65 12

Planeta Agua Logroño
c/ Avda Navarra 10
26001 Logroño
La Rioja - España
Tlf. 941 25 27 64

Thank you. Much appreciated!

As Decathlon store locations are usually in a "big box" type store, it is most likely situated for auto access, NOT pedestrian access. In this scenario, you need to consider if your safety is worth the principle of not riding in a wheeled conveyance.

IMHO, take the dang taxi or bus. Announce to others you are going, and offer to share the taxi ride if others are interested. It is not worth arguing over principle...again IMHO.

I hope this helps and you get the problem sorted.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back