• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rucksack on planes

MMoore

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2019
Hi all,
I'm walking my first Camino in just over a month. Very excited.
I was watching a BBC documentary recently about celebrities walking the Camino and I noticed that when some of them arrived at the airport they had their rucksacks covered in cling wrap. I assume this is to prevent straps getting caught in the airport luggage belt.
It has been a very long time since I’ve travelled with a rucksack and I’m wondering if this is something that airlines require you to do or is it just something optional that some people do.
I will be flying with Aer Lingus into Spain.
Thanks …

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I highly recommend carrying-on your backpack if possible. If the pack is too big and heavy to be a carry-on, you may be carrying too much stuff.
If need be, put your non-carry on items such as trekking poles, liquids etc into a cardboard box and check those on.
If you do have to check-on your backpack that cling wrap routine would work to prevent the pack from damage or problems from hanging straps, or you could put the pack in a cardboard box or a laundry bag or similar.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is optional and not all airports offer the service. Often you will be asked to drop off the pack at a special conveyor. I try to fasten all straps tightly and tie up the long ends as much as possible before dropping off a rucksack if checking it in. I have sometimes used a 60 or 70 litre roll-top dry bag to protect the pack - putting the full pack inside it before checking-in then using it later as a waterproof liner when walking.

It is optional and not all airports offer the service. Often you will be asked to drop off the pack at a special conveyor. I try to fasten all straps tightly and tie up the long ends as much as possible before dropping off a rucksack if checking it in.
That’s what I do too. Easyjet Gatwich has such a special conveyor at check-in.

Hi @mom

It's certainly not a requirement but something to consider. Most larger airports offer this service or you could just do it yourself. I've had a backpack torn to shreds by airport baggage machinery so would definitely suggest taking some precautions. If your pack has a rain cover this can be a great way to protect your bag with all straps tucked away or tied up. Others put their backpack in a light over bag.

Just make sure you don't wrap your bag then discover you've left your pass port in it ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We were offered that cling wrap service at Charles de Gaulle airport once. We decided to check our backpacks and just use our daypacks on the plane during our journey home. The service was offered because it was raining a lot in Paris that day and the lady at the counter said it would help keep our packs dry.

From experience - at check-in I was asked not to take my pack on board a flight, they said it was too big and heavy. Because of the straps and flaps, I had to take it to the 'large load' section - for skis, snowboards, etc. and pay extra. My pack was way too heavy anyway - something you should seriously consider about yours ;) I reduced later to a 30 litre pack - went tightly into an overhead locker, and now I am down to a 23 litre backpack, which I do not completey fill and goes snuggly in the overhead lockers. I believe most experienced pilgrims will advise you to consider taking 10-14 K pack on any lengthy Camino. Good luck.
PS I once had to wrap my backpack in that cling film stuff - my BIG backpart, that is (I forget which airport) - the reasons they gave me were 1. flaps, straps, catches and zips have a habit of coming loose or opening whilst in transit, and contents spilling out. 2. if its wrapped, no one can put dodgy contraband/illegal stuff in it for transportation - or steal anything. 3. all those straps can get caught-up in the conveyor system machinary. Makes a real mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you want to take your pack on with you and it is slightly too large for the airline measurements when packed, there are ways that you can adjust this. Take with you a small bag, which will be the personal item (instead of a purse) that you can put under your seat in front of you. I use a Sea to Summit dry bag, with shoulder and waist straps. This will be multi-purpose when I am walking. In this I put: 1. valuables: id, tickets, etc (I generally prefer to keep money and my passport on my body, in a zipped up pocket); 2. electronics, I usually have something loaded to read during the flight; 3. all medications; 4. any food, clothing, or comforts that I will want during the flight, including toiletries. I put my albergue ear plugs and eye mask in also; 5. my sandals; I wear my walking footwear onto the plane; it is essential for me to have with me. But it is not comfortable to wear for many hours or to sleep in. I put on my town sandals once settled in my seat, and put my walking footwear (in my case, boots) under the seat with my onboard bag; nobody wants to steal worn-in footwear. I may carry or wear a bulky garment to wrap up in and put it on my seat. The onboard bag goes with me to the washroom and will help my valuables stay secure when I am half asleep. I will need most of this stuff during the flight even if my carry-on is not overweight, and it is awkward trying to pull down my pack and dig through it. I generally do this sorting of things in the security area, during the long wait to board, as I have to show some of the contents while going through security. This is when I check that there is nothing in the outside pockets of the pack, which keeps the outline of the pack clean if it must be put in an airline measuring device. I have been on a flight where a passenger reported her purse stolen and everyone was ushered off the plane as usual, so I keep my little bag under my feet or attached to my person at all times. It would be easier to steal than your pack, up on the shelf. You will not need to wrap your bag in plastic if you carry it on with you, and you will not risk having to do without all its contents if it does not arrive when you do. Of course, I have to remember to put my boots on and my sandals in the bag when I leave the plane, and to take everything with me.

Thanks for all the advice.. My rucksack is only a 25lt pack but once the sleeping bag is strapped to it it becomes to large, dimensions wise, to be taken onto an Aer lingus flight, hence why we have chosen to check the bags in.
I think wrapping it then might be a good idea, prevents straps from getting caught and the bag getting damaged.
Another decision made... Thanks all..

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Air France once put my backpack in a large clear plastic bag - very impressed. I leave this week for Seville by EasyJet. Three mobile have a current offer whereby you can check in your carry-on free once you text your flight details. I have done this for the outward and return flights. An added plus is that roaming on Three is unaffected by Brexit!!

FWIW I was able to carry on my lightly packed Osprey kyte 46L on Iberia yesterday. They gate checked it —and a couple dozen other bags— for free for the Madrid-Pamplona leg.

Hi

A small compact sleeping bag was adequate for hostel accommodation during May 2018.This fitted into my 35lt rucksack with the other 10kgs of stuff for my on board hand luggage. This was within the airline size and weight.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My brother (NOT a pilgrim) just flew Norwegian from Boston to Madrid. Airline required that both his carryon bag AND his small “personal” bag be weighed together to determine if he was over the 20kg cheap seat limit. I experienced the same on RyanAir last year. Just be aware of this TOTAL weight if you are flying (and wear your heaviest clothes!!!!)

I had my pack wrapped (I believe at CdG) on the way home. Glad I did. Due to a long torso, my pack is longer than what is allowed as carry-on (despite the fact that it's only 36 liters and I don't fill it up!), so I have to put it in the cargo hold. Wrapping protects it from damage and other nasty things.

I put my non-essentials/replaceables in it, and use a smaller 25L PacSafe pack to carry what I can't afford to have lost or stolen. The PacSafe winds up being forwarded to be used at the end of the Camino.

I wear my hiking shoes, carry my passport and money on my person, and put my spare clothes, silk sleep sack, inflatable travel pillow, snacks, electronics, meds, and toiletries in the carry-on pack.

Hi all,
I was watching a BBC documentary recently about celebrities walking the Camino and I noticed that when some of them arrived at the airport they had their rucksacks covered in cling wrap. I assume this is to prevent straps getting caught in the airport luggage belt.
It has been a very long time since I’ve travelled with a rucksack and I’m wondering if this is something that airlines require you to do or is it just something optional that some people do.
Thanks …
Because of the danger to the straps I always put the rucksack rain cover on back to front and use 2 thin luggage straps to keep it in place. Works a treat. Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My brother (NOT a pilgrim) just flew Norwegian from Boston to Madrid. Airline required that both his carryon. bag AND his small “personal” bag be weighed together to determine if he was over the 20kg cheap seat limit. I experienced the same on RyanAir last year. Just be aware of this TOTAL weight if you are flying (and wear your heaviest clothes!!!!)

I've often thought that airlines should have a fixed weight allowance for both luggage and passenger combined. Weigh both together at check-in. Why should a small person weighing 60kg be allowed just 20kg of luggage when someone who weighs 120kg can add a total of 140kg to the plane's overall load? Doesn't seem very fair. I wonder which airline will be brave enough to risk the backlash? Ryanair would be my best bet :) :cool:

Hi all,
Thanks …
I have travelled with rucksacks many times to many places on different airlines and have never been asked to wrap them in anything. I notice some Australians have their luggage wrap in and out of some Asian destinations. This is for security - making it harder for people to break into to your luggage and remove something or worse still, place contraband items.
Hope you have a fabulous first Camino.

I buy a new formal jacket every two or three years (it is kind of my job uniform). I noticed that they come with a suit bag, where my backpack goes quite nicely. In my walk, as they are light and foldable, I use them as my dirty clothes bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,
Thanks …
You should have no problem carrying your pack on with Aer Lingus. You can, according to security at Dublin airport, even carry your walking poles on inside your pack. I have not tried it even though they did respond to my email in the affirmative. I put my pack inside a large IKEA bag, wrapped some heavy duty packing tape around it and then disposed of the bag once I had arrived by leaving it with the hospitalera. I cant remember if there is cling wrap machine in Dublin but if asked to bet on it, I would guess there is one. You can of course tie your straps up tight and there should be no problem putting it in the hold. Buen Camino

I always carry my pack on the plane with me. ALWAYS. If your pack is lost you are well, what is the word in French, F****ked. Yes that's it. As a precaution against some dip ticketing agent. I never keep my pack on when I am near the counter. I lean it up against the counter and when they ask luggage I just say no. Never had a problem yet and my pack fits easily in the overhead. Get on the plane early so you can get a space in the overhead.

I’m traveling in Europe first and won’t need my hiking pack so it is being packed empty into my suitcase which I’m checking. It’s annoying with all its straps even as carry on! But I am taking all my Camino gear (other than the pole) on the plane in a simple tote or duffel. I couldn’t bear to lose that stuff as it’s taken 6 months and quite a few hundred dollars to find. If my suitcase gets lost I would need to buy a new pack if it didn’t turn up but mine is a bit old and the inside lining has disintegrated so that wouldn’t break my heart. The suitcase will be staying in Madrid at a hotel while I walk.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I checked my 36L Osprey pack from the US, so I could take my nice Paria folding trekking poles. My sweetie suggested at the last minute to try an old pillow case and the pack fit into it perfectly! I taped it shut at the top, then used it as a laundry bag/pillow case on the Camino. It wouldn't protect against hard knocks, but the pack stayed clean and the straps were secure.

I was super pleased to discover this item on Amazon!

Ikea 901.491.48 Frakta Storage Bag, Blue

Sold by: Mama's Best Store

$8.50
Weighs very little, accommodates hiking poles (the main reason for this), my pack and a few other items. I do not like to check anything but the poles make it mandatory. It is inexpensive, quite durable, and has skinny back straps, or handles both as a duffel or on the end. Mind you the back straps are skinny and will be uncomfortable for any length of time but sometimes you just need to have to your hands free. Folds nicely and is very light. Placed in the bottom of my pack for the Camino then used for the flight home. Will be using it again to get to the Rota Vicentina this fall.

Having a bag plastic-wrapped is not cheap (9 Euros from memory). Also, the wrapping is so tight, its really difficult to get off, especially as your scissors are inside! My solution is to put everything in a cheap IKEA bag. This protects the rucksack and poles, and it can be folded upon arrival and taken on the Camino. It provides a pad to sit on in wet conditions.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
P.S. Do not buy it from Amazon. Their prices are ridiculous. Go to IKEA.

My pack is an Osprey 48L. Yes, I do have a 35L but it weighs as much as the 48L so I go for the higher capacity, mostly because it is more comfortable. At any rate, it weighs no more than 10 lb when packed for the Camino. It is also within acceptable dimensions for carry on.

Regarding walking poles, many will not see eye to eye with my practice and many should not have to but for me, they are a necessity. When told they have to be checked, I refuse. TSA has always been advised that they are more important to me than a cane or canes, (and honestly, collapsed, they are smaller than that).

Every camino related flight I have taken, any airline, my walking poles have come with me into the cabin, separate from my pack. Now, for those who may not consider then a necessity, it is a different story. Each of us must weigh our priorities and needs in these matters. But, in most cases, the issue of walking poles can be more flexible than some authorities will initially state. Flexibility is key.

Hi all,
Thanks …
Remove hip belt if possible. Tie up the shoulder straps with the extra webbing that hangs from them so nothing is loose. Works like a charm.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi @mom

If your pack has a rain cover this can be a great way to protect your bag with all straps tucked away or tied up. Others put their backpack in a light over bag.
I just tried your rain cover idea but instead of putting it on the usual way I put in on the other side. That way it covers the shoulder and waist straps.

I just tried your rain cover idea but instead of putting it on the usual way I put in on the other side. That way it covers the shoulder and waist straps.

So obvious! why didn't I think of that??? 😩

I always carry my pack on the plane with me. ALWAYS. If your pack is lost you are well, what is the word in French, F****ked. Yes that's it. As a precaution against some dip ticketing agent. I never keep my pack on when I am near the counter. I lean it up against the counter and when they ask luggage I just say no. Never had a problem yet and my pack fits easily in the overhead. Get on the plane early so you can get a space in the overhead.
Same here. But with the check-in online, I don't even have to deal with ticketing agents :) I go directly through security, and that's it.

On my over half a century of flying experience. There is nothing that can’t happened.
I wrapped my back in cling rap which the one for sandwiches so on. Not only does it provide a protection for you giggles and my poles adhered to it, but it also serves a a anti theft devise since it cannot be opened then so easy with out being noticed. It is cheep easy and effective.
On my way back I noticed quite a few ladies used the blue Ikea back Frakta. It’s the perfect size and it costs about 3.75 €..

Last edited:
Same here. But with the check-in online, I don't even have to deal with ticketing agents :) I go directly through security, and that's it.
I wish I could do that but I live in Mexico and have to have my residence visa checked and get some paper at the immigration desk. I think I have to have it stamped also at the counter. I will check to see if I can do this at the gate and skip the line entirely.
Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,
Thanks …
My Osprey backpack has a seperate bag for such times. It’s straps push into a pocket so they don’t catch when being transported.However,I wonder if the celebs are concerned their bags will be tampered with.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back