• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rucksack Weight (Not too serious)

Walkingboy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino France
I'm leaving St Jean Pied de Port on the 22 March and thought I would get my self in a bit better shape by losing a few pounds (plus exercising). So far since new year I have lost 10 lb and am now at 176 lb. Still looking to lose another 7lb giving a total of 17lb. By my reckoning that's 10% of my body weight and the recommended pack weight. When I have lost this it will be the equivalent of not carrying a pack from my original weight at new year.............or am I just kidding myself.😱

A selection of Camino Jewellery
am I just kidding myself.
Don't do that. That is what I'm here for. Keep up the good work and the weight loss will be sufficient enough for you to be able to carry someone else's pack too.

Congratulations and buen camino.

This from someone who has just been told on the forum to go on a diet because the new circular avatars makes my face look fat.

Last edited:
I was 85 kilo’s when I left. Returned with 76 kilo’s, almost lost 9 kilo’s less. I ate like a pig and drunk more beer then I ever did (except when being in the army) Just start walking, you will come back looking like a marine commando 😂

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm leaving St Jean Pied de Port on the 22 March and thought I would get my self in a bit better shape by losing a few pounds (plus exercising). So far since new year I have lost 10 lb and am now at 176 lb. Still looking to lose another 7lb giving a total of 17lb. By my reckoning that's 10% of my body weight and the recommended pack weight. When I have lost this it will be the equivalent of not carrying a pack from my original weight at new year.............or am I just kidding myself.😱

Weight matters to your joints, feet, back, and core muscles. The less that you weigh and the less weight you carry means that you are reducing the risk of injury to those area of your body from long and repetitive walks over the course of several weeks.

Go as lightweight as you can, both in your backpack and in your body. :)

This has been my thinking, my weight has dropped from 100kg to 90 Kg and I am not leaving until March, I have been 100kg for the last 15 years so my pack in effect will weigh nothing. Even at 90-kg my BMI is 26.5

This has been my thinking, my weight has dropped from 100kg to 90 Kg and I am not leaving until March, I have been 100kg for the last 15 years so my pack in effect will weigh nothing. Even at 90-kg my BMI is 26.5

:) I can definitely appreciate the thought behind offsetting body weight as it applies to a backpack, but it is a little more complicated than that. Keep in mind that there are unique stresses and pressure points when carrying a pack which can never be offset with body weight loss. These can create injuries which could interfere with the continuation of a Camino.

So the combination of your wonderful loss of weight with that of a lightweight pack, will not only help with avoiding musculoskeletal injury, but add to the overall enjoyment of walking. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Then again, if your pack is a little heavy your muscles will tone up pretty fast. Thats why they make soldiers carry 20 to 25kg in their backpacks (more if you include a machinegun and some grenades). All depends on physical condition and strenght however. Wouldnt try that after 60 or so. Including a 1,5 liter drink I carried arround 16,5 kilos last time. My condition was ok but not excellent. Only had a hard time crossing the mountains from st Jean. I even carried down an additional pack of 9 kilos for a lady that was covered in blisters and crying with every step down the mountain where these metal statues are at. That sucked a little but was doable. For a day that is :)

But if you go for pure enjoyement of the walk, dont take my advice 😂 I concidered it an extra gift comming home pretty fit. My girlfriend agreed 😍

Guaranteed you will lose weight, unless you take the bus. Keeping it off is another topic.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.