• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rugby World Cup on Spanish Television

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
Hi, today just booked my Flights and hostals for a short Camino Ingles (from Coruna) between 7th - 11th October.

Is there anyone out there either on a Camino or resident in Spain who knows whether any Spanish channels are showing the RWC matches, preferably live? England play France in the quarter finals early Sunday morning and it could make the day's walk all the sweeter if I could catch the game over a couple of cafe con leches. I'll be departing from Meson Do Vento that day and appreciate that options may be limited but happy to leave late if I get to see the game.

Regards
Mig

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Meson Novo in Meson do Vento have television in the bar and we think in our room. If you are already walking the Bar Novo in Buscas has a television in the bar. Good cafe con leche and huge bocadillos.
Hope someone can give you the info re TV showing and times.

Miguel

Chat to "young" Antonio at the Meson Novo - he can select the approrpiate satellite channel and feed it to your room if you ask him. This facility was demonstrated on evening when Real HAD to be watched in the bar and a well known Scottish team were also playing...don't ask the result!

Funnily enough I'm scheduled to leave from Ferrol on the 10th - Buen Camino!

Best wishes

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you both. I think I have the channel now, Digital + Deportes, so hopefully Meson Novo will be able to show it and I will have to then jog on to Sigueiro to make it for supper :shock: .

Enjoy your latest Ingles Johnnie. Buen Camino.
Mig

Would any Irish pilgrims explain to me why Ireland reserve their absolute best form for Australia?

You're supposed to be our friends!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I should get to Portugal in time to see SA-Aus. Surprised at how close the Wales match was. Family (Villers) very big in Rugby world.
I played one match for Pretoria as a fly and got my ass handed to me, by both sides, typical "welcome Yank" event.
I'm now a firm believer that rugby is a spectator sport.
Go Springboks!!!

I might come back to this thread after Sunday to discuss matters with Arn.

There again, I might be detained and unavailable for comment.

Robert you might like to know that Rom from Ultreia Gite in Moissac e-mailed me this morning, and he is of course delighted with the Irish form. He was wondering what it was about the water here that suited the green jersey of the Irish so well..... and I was delighted for him :D
Margaret
robertt said:
Would any Irish pilgrims explain to me why Ireland reserve their absolute best form for Australia? You're supposed to be our friends!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
robertt said:
Would any Irish pilgrims explain to me why Ireland reserve their absolute best form for Australia?

You're supposed to be our friends!

Hi Robertt,
Well of course all the Australian people were our friends before the match.................but after it well then we really LOVED you- even more than we love the Italians ....so now all we have to do is build a beautiful relationship with the Welsh team and show just how much we care about them to ..... :lol:

Nell

Margaret, I knew Rom would have something to say. Interesting to see how your lot go without Carter.

Nell, there's a tradition in Australian sport that we are obnoxious to everyone except Ireland and the West Indies. That list may soon be shortened to just the West Indies. Go carefully.

robertt said:
Nell, there's a tradition in Australian sport that we are obnoxious to everyone except Ireland and the West Indies. That list may soon be shortened to just the West Indies. Go carefully.

Ah now don't be like that Robertt you know right well that when Ireland succeeds it's practically the same as an aussie win? Sure don't most of your team have an Irish granny at the very least.
And honestly who'll get the most cheers from Australians next week Wales or 'the home team' (AKA Ireland)? Because I know who the Irish cheer for when it's Australia V.... Well this is an English site so I'll be diplomatic. :wink:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Australians play a cultured running game. These mud-wrestlers from the wrong hemisphere have caught us by surprise, but they'll soon be dealt with. Of course, if it comes down to England versus the mud-wrestlers, I might have to cheer for the muddies.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would never have considered anything about rugby being "cultured" regardless of the hemisphere.

In the late 60's, I was a guest at the South Sydney Rugby Club and it was my intro to the sport.

When the MVP of the match was declared, the standard was high....how many stitches were applied to the bloke on the bar. Still, I love the game and the international flavor.

Now where did I put my ear guards?

robertt said:
Australians play a cultured running game........ if it comes down to England versus the mud-wrestlers, I might have to cheer for the muddies.

Robertt we muddies thank you for your support :lol: And I agree with your assessment of your home team. Though, however cultured, if the running is in the wrong direction doesn't that rather mess things up :?
Nell

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The entire extended family (SA, USA(Virginia), USA (California) will be watching and commenting vis Skype throughout the Blowout coming on the 9th.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,611
To the mud-wrestlers I say but this: World Cup quarter final, Lansdowne Road, 20 October 1991, final seconds.

To Arn of the Blowout: I'm told that, when a springbok is showing off, it fans its tail while jumping awkwardly. This activity is called pronking, I believe.

Robertt noted: when a springbok is showing off, it fans its tail while jumping awkwardly. This activity is called pronking, I believe./quote]

For the uninitiated, just so you'll know that Robertt isn't saying a disparaging thing about the Springboks, see the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5IJBbA6UkA

Quite lovely actually. I would suspect were one to be thrashing about in the mud...a good pronk would sent you right over them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Australia, having competed in three finals and won two, are obviously the dominant tournament-rugby nation. If we weren't so busy with Aussie Rules and Rugby League, it's obvious that we'd dominate year-to-year in Rugby, which is only played seriously in two states, where it is still not the major code.

But I don't wish to pronk.

My own Rugby career was curtailed by a certain lack of speed, which is still apparent to my fellow pilgrims. Yet I appreciate speed and would like to point to our current back-line, who can cut any defense to rags when sober. (Okay, okay...they're seldom sober.)

Those amused by Johnny Wilkinson's cheap pot-shotting may lack the culture to appreciate this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvhHy6MFfi4&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

This is how you make a very large crowd of Irish go suddenly very quiet. The fact that the Aussie team was full of Irish Catholics makes the moment doubly delicious. Michael Lynagh!

You are noticeably quiet about the result in the Australia-Ireland game in 2011 Mr Dawdler!!! :shock: Surely your Camino experience hasn't enabled you to turn a blind eye to reality quite so well! :D
KIWI Nomad

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"The fact that the Aussie team was full of Irish Catholics makes the moment doubly delicious. Michael Lynagh!" 1991

It's true we Irish are our own worst enemies and can tend to dwell on the past......so I was thinking that you must have a touch if the gael yourself robertt? :)

Margaret, if you are in contact with our friends in Moissac, you might tell them that it's the ELIMINATION games they're supposed to win.

And, Nell, I was raised believing that I was 7/8ths Irish and 1/8th Scot. We were supposed to be Townshends of Castletownshend, West Cork and all that. When I went for an Irish passport a couple of years ago, I discovered that Grandpa Townshend was adopted as an infant from England, and taken to Cork. I'm 1/4 Pom!

God save the Queen!

Mierda. Just found out that England play France Saturday, and not Sunday morning (and not until 09:30 Spanish time). As I have 30+ km to complete to get to Meson Do Vento, unless I'm lucky enough to stumble across a bar or cafe en route showing it, looks like I'll dip out.

Thanks for the initial help and the entertaining aftermath and sorry to mislead on the date.
Mig

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
robertt said:
And, Nell, I was raised believing that I was 7/8ths Irish and 1/8th Scot. We were supposed to be Townshends of Castletownshend, West Cork and all that. When I went for an Irish passport a couple of years ago, I discovered that Grandpa Townshend was adopted as an infant from England, and taken to Cork. I'm 1/4 Pom!

God save the Queen!

Lovely part of the world to have roots in robertt - no matter your Grandpa wasn't born in Cork he was there long enough and it sort of seeps into ones soul. Anyway from the cut of you, as stubborn as a kerry blue (that's a compliment by the way), I'd still be wondering about the background of that adopted baby........ :lol:
I God does (save the Queen)..... and all us poor sinners!
Nell

Sorry Nell- seriously- but it was a great game, and one of the best I have seen in the tournament. It was the battle of the Celts and both wanted it passionately.

Your consolation might be that the English also leave for home tomorrow. Miguel, you might be relieved you couldn't watch it...

And I am hoping we don't get our collective hearts broken by Los Pumas tomorrow evening.

Margaret

Well, there go my 5/8 Irish and 1/4 Pom, following my 1/8 Scot.

You guys won't believe it, but France are my second team. It goes back to a low percentage French style of play that found many fans in past decades: the old running counter-attack, seen no more. Plus, Chemin du Puy etc.

Well, some are sad, Margaret and I are nervous. I think the pronkers are a little nervous also.

Nell, of course, will now be looking for a yellow scarf to wear.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
robertt said:
Well, some are sad, Margaret and I are nervous. I think the pronkers are a little nervous also.

they'll be a right set of plonkers if they go down tho'
happy trails
Peter

Well, Arn, I'd like to do some plonking, but the Springboks were the better side and deserved to beat us. Maybe Saint James is a Wallaby supporter.

Pass the valium.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
robertt said:
Maybe Saint James is a Wallaby supporter.
Just as long as St James switches sides next weekend- presuming we Blacks make it that far- I don't mind if he is on the Wallaby side this weekend...
Margaret

robertt said:
Well, there go my 5/8 Irish and 1/4 Pom, following my 1/8 Scot......

Au contraire I already have a selection to choose from :lol: The Welsh were the better team on the day .....but the good news is there is always another day! Good luck
Nell

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Point of theology, Nomad.

The stats for Aust v SA have been published. Our tragic figures for territory, lineouts, scrums, rucks, tackles, kicks, passing from halves etc show that we ought to have lost the game by at least twenty points. No computer in the world would have us even close to winning with those stats. So what happened?

It could only be celestial intervention. Jimbo is a Wallaby!

I hope that I shall be walking while Wales takes on France on Saturday 15th - come on Wales.
Please look for me flying the Welsh dragon and wish me well.

New Zealand decimated Australia to advance to the finals -- France vs. New Zealand.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ka Mate is the more common Haka they perform- the one they did this evening is more recent- Kapa O Pango first performed in 2005 http://www.newzealandrugbyinfo.co.nz/rugbyhaka.php

Sorry Robert- but my local hero Cruden was the one favoured by Jimbo this evening :)

Attachments

• Cruden.jpg
    Cruden.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 837
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I heard about this Kiwi pilgrim who made a vow to go on pilgrimage from Cluny if the All Blacks win the Cup. How does one compete with that?

Robert, my dawdling Camino friend, I am sorry for your loss! :shock: I was very impressed at the way the Wallabies so nobly made a guard of honour at the exit to the field for the All Blacks.

I have already been told by a Quebec Camino friend that the All Blacks will in fact need to win over France in the final, or I will never hear the end of it walking in France next year. And I am sure she is right!
Margaret

Congrats all you Kiwis
Sharon

Yes, for the Final the French played extremely well, and we didn't exactly play our best game. But our defence was sound in the closing quarter, and that was what counted in the end. One point win- but hey we will take it! At least I will be able to walk in France next year with my head held high!!!
Margaret
Oh and my local young hero, Cruden, was our third #10 to be injured in the tournament, but we still made it, even if he did get his winner's medal on crutches!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back