• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ruggedness of Camino Del Norte for weak ankles or knees

Bgates

I am a first time pilgrim interested in hiking the Camino del Norte. As a rugged 63 year old from Berkeley California I am confident I can take on the walking, but I am concerned about my husband, also 63, who can sometimes have knee and ankle problems on rugged terrain. 1) How steep and rugged is the terrain? 2) Is it possible that one some days my husband sometimes take buses and meet me at the refugio in the evening? Barbara

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Barbara,

I have PM'ed you some information. See your in box.

For the others, sorry but I think the administrators have vetoed my text!?!?!?
Unable to publish after two trials...

Ciao!
Jean-Marc

I am very grateful for the email from Canuck regarding my query about the ruggedness of the camino del norte. With your information, my husband may coming on the pilgrimage. The idea that there may be buses for days when his knees or ankles are hurting is very reassuring. Blessings, Barbara

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Barbara,

Knees are always a concern in the later years. Mine certainly were the first time and it is a concern for my wife on this year's pilgrimage. My experience has been that it is the downhill that is the worst. The weight of the body and backpack pounding on the knees. It sounds strange but I would prefer flat or uphill over a lot of downhill.

It is quite possible to take a bus when too tired or beat up or just to skip past a section that would be too costly in physical wear & tear. Take your time and I'll bet everything will work out fine.

Buen Camino,
Mark

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.