• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rumours of Pilgrims being held in SJPP due to crowding?

Roger Deee

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016
I heard that this weekend that 900 Pilgrims were being held in StJohn as there is only 320 beds available in Roncesvalles, is anybody able to confirm or negate this,
I start next week and am a little concerned

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There would be no way to hold them. There's no entry gate, just two roads you can walk down.

And you don't have to stop in Roncesvalles, there are towns beyond.

And any backlog in SJPP would have major consequences for the new arrivals. The camino pushes people forward, doesn't hold them back.

Where did you hear this?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This does seem unlikely, especially given @Kanga's post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/its-today-my-very-favourite-day/ where she says there were plenty of accommodation options in St Jean at the weekend and seems to have had no problem getting a place in Roncesvalles. And as @NorthernLight says, there's no way of "holding" people in St Jean - it's just a town, with various roads heading in and out, two of which lead to Roncesvalles. I have this vision of a line of Pilgrim's Office volunteers and local police linking arms across the Rue d'Espagne, struggling to hold back hundreds of eager pilgrims! It sounds a little like one of those stories that goes around and becomes slightly different in the telling. Because if it really was true, how would it actually help? There would only be more people ready to depart the next day, surely?! Maybe the Pilgrim's Office in St Jean were just advising people they may have difficulty getting a bed if they hadn't booked ahead?

Who would "hold" the pilgrims and how? You go in the office and they take custody of you, restricting your movement? Or are there manned roadblocks out of town, stopping walkers and making them turn around only to be forced to stay?
Obviously an absurd rumor. A load of caca de toro. Really sad so much of it is spread, especially on here. Not taking a jab at the OP of this thread. Just a jab in general at the whole childish rumor mongering and embellishments that go on.
Any prospective pilgrims reading this, don't be dismayed by the BS. Walk without fear. Have a good time. ultreia

There would be no way to hold them. There's no entry gate, just two roads you can walk down.

And you don't have to stop in Roncesvalles, there are towns beyond.

And any backlog in SJPP would have major consequences for the new arrivals. The camino pushes people forward, doesn't hold them back.

Where did you hear this?

An Australian Camino group that meet last week on the Sunshine Coast

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I heard that this weekend that 900 Pilgrims were being held in StJohn as there is only 320 beds available in Roncesvalles, is anybody able to confirm or negate this,
I start next week and am a little concerned
Which day are you leaving roger?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
*I think the term holding is being taken out of context,
*but this info came from a local Camino group
*I've booked ahead so no issue for me,
*but this is what forums are for, to seperate fact from fiction

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This does seem unlikely, especially given @Kanga's post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/its-today-my-very-favourite-day/ where she says there were plenty of accommodation options in St Jean at the weekend and seems to have had no problem getting a place in Roncesvalles. And as @NorthernLight says, there's no way of "holding" people in St Jean - it's just a town, with various roads heading in and out, two of which lead to Roncesvalles. I have this vision of a line of Pilgrim's Office volunteers and local police linking arms across the Rue d'Espagne, struggling to hold back hundreds of eager pilgrims! It sounds a little like one of those stories that goes around and becomes slightly different in the telling. Because if it really was true, how would it actually help? There would only be more people ready to depart the next day, surely?! Maybe the Pilgrim's Office in St Jean were just advising people they may have difficulty getting a bed if they hadn't booked ahead?

yep, certainly gives a different perspective, and as she is actually there, somewhat more believable,

*I think the term holding is being taken out of context,
*but this info came from a local Camino group
*I've booked ahead so no issue for me,
*but this is what forums are for, to seperate fact from fiction
Perhaps the Pilgrim office is "suggesting" that people wait before starting out?

I heard that this weekend that 900 Pilgrims were being held in StJohn as there is only 320 beds available in Roncesvalles, is anybody able to confirm or negate this.

Our group arrived in Roncevalles on May 3. A Dutch volunteer told me at breakfast the next morning that he was feeling bad that the large albergue (the one mentioned in OP's post and the one where the volunteer worked) was fully booked for the following day. I asked whether the hotel and other lodging in Roncevalles might absorb the overflow. He replied, "No, some people are just going to have to walk on".

The next day, May 4, we walked to Zubiri. I personally saw the owner of the albergue where we had reserved try to find a place for a couple. She phoned place after place. No luck. She finally sent them on to the municipal albergue where beds cannot be reserved. This happened about three more times as more people stopped in looking for a bed. The next morning another couple with whom we walked said that they had finally found a place 4 kilometers out of town. Other people had to sleep in a basement, I believe at the municipal albergue.

It pained me greatly to think this, because we had spent 27 days walking the CF in 2013 and only reserved rooms one or two times, but I wondered whether the popularity of the CF is straining its lodging capacity.

We had reserved ahead because our group totals 9 people.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I started the CF on 12 September 2014 and Roncesvalles was full in the main building with pilgims sleeping on the over-flow building. The breakfasts were all sold out when we arrived too but we did get a dinner on the second sitting. I took the last bed in Larrasoana, whilst folks behind me were turned away... Zubiri was already full. Pamplona was also busy but not full... then it all seemed to calm down and I don't recall having a problem again?

I started again from SJ on the 18 April 2015... Roncesvalles was nowhere near as busy but I struggled to find a bed in Zubiri; we got the last 2 in a new albergue and the guy let the pilgrim behind me sleep on the sofa. A larger group of ladies had to taxi onwards to find a bed... but I never had a problem after this.

I have no idea what's happening now but I think sometimes there are just bottlenecks... some pilgrims are currently finding it busy whilst others are saying it's ok. I dont have any facts but it is easy to start worrying over things that may actually be fine... I hope it's the later and that you have a great walk!

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
SERIOUSLY! The French have historically been wholly unable of holding ANYONE back from coming into their nation. Just read the history books. What makes anyone think they can stop 900 or any number of determined pilgrims who are determined to start their Camino and LEAVE FRANCE? I don't THINK so...

St. Jean Pied de Port is a beautiful town with wonderful people, and a lot to see, even as a tourist. When I start from there, I always stay two nights in rented accommodations before starting out. And I always start out mid-week, (Tuesday - Thursday) expressly to avoid the phenomenon that likely spurred this myth.

No, I submit this is an "urban myth." Yes, it is possible that the albergue at Roncesvalles COULD theoretically be oversubscribed, especially during the peak, summer season. Yes, it IS possible that one or more commercial tourist support services could have booked solid the remaining hostal and hotel spaces there. THAT is the emerging conflict along the Camino, in my view.

But as many other posters here have maintained, simply walking a few kilometers further opens many alternatives to spread the bubble out.

This said, the accumulated observations DO tend to support my "pig in the python" metaphor for how a crowd surge moves down the Camino. Learn form this, adapt, and overcome. Consider all lodging alternatives.

If the numbers continue to grow, I hope people living along the Camino, especially the Frances, intend to develop more albergues or hostal resources. The alternative is having one or more multi-national hotel concerns develop a ultra-low price chain of hostals along the Camino.

THAT can happen, and would result in the Disneyfication of the Camino. Never say never. Every local politician has their price.

A company wanting to build a chain of cookie-cutter, standardized, private albergues that optimize bed space at a reasonable cost, say €20 each night could be a winner. Heck, if I had the capital, I already have the business plan. I would do it, as it is eminently doable. So, never discount the possibility that Accor, IBIS, Holiday Inn, etc. will never come in and franchise standard properties. It can happen.

So, enjoy the Camino Frances while you can. Adapt and overcome to unique and sporadic bed outages. Share a hostal double with another pilgrim. Reserve ahead private albergues and hostals. Stay slightly before or after the 33 Brierley stages, consider sharing a cab to go a couple of kilometers north or south of the Camino to a charming small private albergue not normally on your radar screen. Taxis cost about one euro per kilometer. It beats sleeping on a cold floor.

It is a fact of civilized life. Whenever too many people all want to do one thing, or head in one direction at one time, traffic jams always result. It is how you manage that condition that makes or break your individual experience.

When I commuted daily from Northern Virginia, into Washington, DC, to my former profession, I found that altering my departure even five minutes could avoid the traffic crush that came just after the morning traffic and weather reports on the TV.

That is why the news outlets always made the traffic and weather the very last thing in their broadcasts. They KNEW that their viewers, listeners would wait until they heard what the weather and traffic conditions were.

My adopting a position of simply not caring about weather or traffic, and teasing advertising commercial breaks, meant I could leave home about seven to eight minutes early and get through all the choke points before the coming behind me on the half-hour wave. Try it in your everyday life at home. It WORKS!

I hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Perhaps Ivar will add an option to the forum that will allow the OP to add a flag for "Rumor" just as one can add "Live from the Camino".

(I don't doubt there's a backup, just the number 900. Running of the Pilgrims?)

almost same for me, Orisson first night and 2k's further he next night in Viskarret
Yes indeed, like Albertagirl said, Viskarret is 11 km further then Roncesvalles. NOT 2.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all. I have read there was 900 pilgrims entering at SANTIAGO´s chatedral yesterday. But you need to understand there are many caminos confluentto Santiago. You will have not unusual acomodations problems. Buen Camino

We stayed in Burguete. Only 30 min walk past Roncevalles.

We are in El Burgo Ranero right now. Just over half way done. The Camino is busy. Often you cannot find a room if you arrive in the late afternoon. This small town, which is not an end point in Brierely's book, was full by noon.

For anyone who is planning to stay in
private albergues or book double rooms in small hotels or casa rurales, I suggest you book at least a few days ahead. We are booking our places up to week ahead now that our bodies have adapted to the walk and we can more accurately judge how much distance we can cover in a day.

I find it takes the pressure off so we don't have to rush through our day to get to a place early or walk an extra 10km to find a room. This is especially true on the Meseta where the distances between towns are much further.

And if you book by phone, you need to call again before 14:00 to confirm and let them know approximately how much longer you will be of they may give your room away.

Is there a website that says how many people have left SJPDP each day?

Who would "hold" the pilgrims and how? You go in the office and they take custody of you, restricting your movement? Or are there manned roadblocks out of town, stopping walkers and making them turn around only to be forced to stay?
Obviously an absurd rumor. A load of caca de toro. Really sad so much of it is spread, especially on here. Not taking a jab at the OP of this thread. Just a jab in general at the whole childish rumor mongering and embellishments that go on.
Any prospective pilgrims reading this, don't be dismayed by the BS. Walk without fear. Have a good time. ultreia

FREE THE ST JEAN 900 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have these crazy images of the Spanish Guardia Civil in their tiny SUV's and French Gendarmes packing AK 47's lined up along the N-135 and the D-428 stopping pilgrims from fleeing France. The locals would be up in arms, they want to put a stop to the migration coming from the other direction.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi all. I have read there was 900 pilgrims entering at SANTIAGO´s chatedral yesterday. But you need to understand there are many caminos confluentto Santiago. You will have not unusual acomodations problems. Buen Camino

Actually according to http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/ it was 1114 pilgrims applying for a Compostela yesterday, Pentecost Sunday, and "only" 414 so far today. How many of those entered the cathedral is anybody's guess ;-) The majority of those pilgrims did come indeed via the Camino Frances. Oh, and could either the OP or a mod adjust the thread title to something rumour + thread title or similar? That might be helpful to avoid needless panic. Buen Camino, SY

On the night we were there the building was full and they were putting pilgrims in cabins. They are apparently no longer using the old Albergue. Some were forced to taxi ahead. The next night we stayed at pension Amets in Zubiri. Jose said pilgrims were arriving late in the afternoon and having to taxi all the way to Pamplona because everything between was full. Pilgrims were showing up at 11 am in Pamplona to find albergues full. I saw pilgrims sleeping on park benches in Pamplona. It is BUSY.

@Roger Deee:
I stayed in Biskarret, at Corazon Puro, the night after I stayed at Roncesvalles. I think that you should know that Viskarret is 11 km. after Roncesvalles, not 2. Buen camino.

Yes indeed, like Albertagirl said, Viskarret is 11 km further then Roncesvalles. NOT 2.

I think that Roger is replying to the lady who said she will stop in Espinal, by saying he will continue 2km further than Espinal, to Vizkarret.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hear the airdrop for the SJPdP 900 was successful. Bagettes , mattress's and Pilgrims Passes landed without issue. Wine however cannot be had at any price.

Myself and others are presently in a secret warehouse squishing grapes,tell our coralled brother n sisters wine is on it's way !!!!

Actually, the 900 pilgrims where actually part of a French film company's reinterpretation of "Hope for the Flowers."

maxresdefault.jpg

hope3.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I heard that this weekend that 900 Pilgrims were being held in StJohn as there is only 320 beds available in Roncesvalles, is anybody able to confirm or negate this.

Our group arrived in Roncevalles on May 3. A Dutch volunteer told me at breakfast the next morning that he was feeling bad that the large albergue (the one mentioned in OP's post and the one where the volunteer worked) was fully booked for the following day. I asked whether the hotel and other lodging in Roncevalles might absorb the overflow. He replied, "No, some people are just going to have to walk on".

The next day, May 4, we walked to Zubiri. I personally saw the owner of the albergue where we had reserved try to find a place for a couple. She phoned place after place. No luck. She finally sent them on to the municipal albergue where beds cannot be reserved. This happened about three more times as more people stopped in looking for a bed. The next morning another couple with whom we walked said that they had finally found a place 4 kilometers out of town. Other people had to sleep in a basement, I believe at the municipal albergue.

It pained me greatly to think this, because we had spent 27 days walking the CF in 2013 and only reserved rooms one or two times, but I wondered whether the popularity of the CF is straining its lodging capacity.

My friends from Texas started 2 weeks ago Ron SJPP. There were lots and lots of Peregrinos. Most of the Hotels were full and charging a lot for one night.

The same situation continues currently. After Tge Alto del Perdon, they hired a car and went ahead to book and pay in person for some hotel/hostals.

They just don't want to take a chance. Also, it seems to be lots of younger Peregrinos, just there to party, and along the way leaving lots of trash.

In Texas, as I mentioned before there are large groups of folks going for a 3 week period.

I am planing for my 5 Camino in December, God willing.

Although Spain is beautiful in Spring Summer time, I would really look the statistics to see how many people are starting weekly, and adjust your plans accordingly.

To all of you walking out there, Buen Camino, and that your journey be all and more than you ever imagine.

Keep on walking,

Texasguy

Latest news from Donibane Garazi / SJPP - 14 women have given birth while being held at the detention camp. The actual number of detainees has increased to 915 ( one of the women had twins ) . The babies as well as the mothers are in fine health. All the babies have been given the of Santiago ( including the twins) as well as a Camino passport. The group will continue to be retained for now according to an official who wishes that his name not be mentioned.

FREE THE 915 NOW!!!!!!! ;)

Ondo Ibili!

MendiWalker

I've added nappies to the list for the emergency drop,wilco n out.

Rumor - REI will air drop 900 Big Agnes tents and Sea to Summit sleep sheets to help the 900 through the next few days. They will be found on the SJPP tennis courts. Thoughts of sending Osprey 36L backpacks, but REI does not have enough to ship immediately. They are also dropping 15 eco friendly nappies, but I've heard it will be met with resistance. Just kidding. This thread is hilarious.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Latest news ---- local sheep are angry as the 900 pilgrims have taken to eating the grass to supplement their meagre rations,however the farmer has been quoted as saying his fields have never looked so good.

Latest news ---- local sheep are angry as the 900 pilgrims have taken to eating the grass to supplement their meagre rations,however the farmer has been quoted as saying his fields have never looked so good.

Cordero Asado al Horno ... Yum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumor -- A new French underground movement has sprung into existence in response to the local SJPP government officials' holding as many as 900 pilgrims against their will, although the exact number cannot be determined at this time.

Pilgrims belonging to this new movement are suspected of smuggling foie gras, wine and other necessities into the SJPP-held area in order to aid the suffering. They are also suspected of subversive activities, such as sending anonymous letters complaining about the detention of the pilgrims to town officials. Every day, a few pilgrims, demoralized by their enforced detention, attempt to dash through the town's gates, only to be forced back by farmers, shepherds, ferocious sheepdogs, and huge flocks of sheep.

Pilgrims who dare to complain about the appalling conditions risk having their daily rations of cassoulet, gateaus and wine reduced. Worse punishments are rumored to exist but cannot be verified.

These human-rights violations have spurred the UN to appoint a special commission of investigators to look into the situation. The commission is expected to make a report within the next few months.

In the meantime, conditions for the 900 pilgrims continue to deteriorate as they languish in SJPP awaiting their day of liberation into Spain and onto the Camino de Santiago.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Rumour
The New Zealand government has identified a sheep surplus and is arranging a live shipment/airdrop to the stranded pilgrims. Each sheep will have a spare sheepskin strapped to their body. The sheep are very docile so pilgrims will be able to easily unstrap the spare sheepskin. These sheepskins may be used for bedding or pilgrims may use them to make shoes or slippers, while they await release from their holding pens.

On the night we were there the building was full and they were putting pilgrims in cabins. They are apparently no longer using the old Albergue. Some were forced to taxi ahead. The next night we stayed at pension Amets in Zubiri. Jose said pilgrims were arriving late in the afternoon and having to taxi all the way to Pamplona because everything between was full. Pilgrims were showing up at 11 am in Pamplona to find albergues full. I saw pilgrims sleeping on park benches in Pamplona. It is BUSY.
We stayed in Burguete. Only 30 min walk past Roncevalles.

We are in El Burgo Ranero right now. Just over half way done. The Camino is busy. Often you cannot find a room if you arrive in the late afternoon. This small town, which is not an end point in Brierely's book, was full by noon.

For anyone who is planning to stay in
private albergues or book double rooms in small hotels or casa rurales, I suggest you book at least a few days ahead. We are booking our places up to week ahead now that our bodies have adapted to the walk and we can more accurately judge how much distance we can cover in a day.

I find it takes the pressure off so we don't have to rush through our day to get to a place early or walk an extra 10km to find a room. This is especially true on the Meseta where the distances between towns are much further.

And if you book by phone, you need to call again before 14:00 to confirm and let them know approximately how much longer you will be of they may give your room away.

Is there a website that says how many people have left SJPDP each day?

We have heard from many friends who commenced walking within the last 10 days.
Everything said in the above quotes is correct.
We might joke about the 900 and i can see the funny side but i know 4 people who having once reached Logrono headed to the Norte.
They have a quid so any accommodation is possible but even the hotels were stretched as people in Puenta la Reina can verify.

There were four episodes that made them laugh and sigh that convinced them to walk the Norte from Bilbao,
1/ People were ringing home saying it was all rice and meat with no vegetables in Spain ?????????
2/ The ancient bridge into Pamplona was called a wall ?????????
3/ We don't do bread , what could we have for breakfast .......and unfortunately
4/ Where there were drinks & fruit along the way where maybe a donation was required.... much was taken but not much given.

Maybe winter or august will become the months to contemplate.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Orujo is typical in Galicia where as Patxaran is the drink in Euskal Herria . Donibani Garazi / San Jean Pied de Port is in Euskal Herria.

The 915 will have to wait to they get to Santiago ( if they ever do). ;)

Ondo Ibili !
I know. Nowadays both pacharan and orujo are avalaible all Spain long. But maybe, the newly borned fifteen would prefer some milk.
Have you ever heard about "panther´s milk? :rolleyes::confused::D

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back