• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rumpl blankets?

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
Has anyone tried a Rumpl blanket? Thought it might be a good/lighter alternative to a sleeping bag in summer months. If you have, would love to hear your feedback as they're quite exxy!

Or can anyone recommend good blankets/ultra light sleeping bags?

Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Has anyone tried a Rumpl blanket? Thought it might be a good/lighter alternative to a sleeping bag in summer months. If you have, would love to hear your feedback as they're quite exxy!

Thanks!
My concern with the Rumpl (apart from the price...ouch!) would be the size; it seems it doesn't compress. The specs show the smallest it compresses to is 2.8 litres...that's a lot of space to take up.

I suggest you look at the Mont Bell range. I have the Ultralight Down Spiral Hugger which weighs under 500gms & compresses to be comfortably held in my open hand. It fully unzips to form a blanket which is how I use it...I don't like being confined in a mummy bag! The temperature grading is 10 degrees C making it ideal for summer.
The price is in the lower end of the Rumpl range...I paid $149 for mine making it the most expensive gear item I own but it has served me well.
Good luck in your search.
👣 🌏

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Katie
I used a very small Macpac Escapade 150 down sleeping bag , summer weight , weighs half kilo and small in size when packed Into stuffsack about half size of rumpl blanket stuff sack.

1646007883639.jpeg

Last edited:
My Rumpl blanket will be in my pack for its fourth Camino in April. It's great. The slipperiness and initially cold touch take a little getting used to. Packing it requires a fair amount of force, but it will compress to about 2/3 of the size of the stuff sack. Yeah, it was expensive, but it is warm, very light, durable, works perfectly, and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used a Rumpl blanket on my first Camino, the Frances. It served it's purpose and kept me plenty warm on the cold nights. I will not use it on my next Camino. It took up way too much space in my 40L pack. As Kassie Tax stated, it does not compress well. I tried a compression sack, but there was minimal improvement in the compression over the stuff sack that came with it. I ended up joining MEC and purchasing their Camino sleeping bag. It is next to my Rumpl in the closet and is much smaller and should provide just as much comfort while taking up less space. The Camino bag seems to be similar to the ubiquitous sleeping bags that can be found hanging in outdoor stores all along the Camino for 50 to 60E.

I found very lightweight sleeping bags with a zipper from RedCamp on Amazon for $18. They pack down to just over a liter and come with a compression sack. They are fine for shoulder season Caminos. In the warm months I carry a silk liner, which is about 5 oz, packs very small, and was plenty for me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My concern with the Rumpl (apart from the price...ouch!) would be the size; it seems it doesn't compress. The specs show the smallest it compresses to is 2.8 litres...that's a lot of space to take up.

I suggest you look at the Mont Bell range. I have the Ultralight Down Spiral Hugger which weighs under 500gms & compresses to be comfortably held in my open hand. It fully unzips to form a blanket which is how I use it...I don't like being confined in a mummy bag! The temperature grading is 10 degrees C making it ideal for summer.
The price is in the lower end of the Rumpl range...I paid $149 for mine making it the most expensive gear item I own but it has served me well.
Good luck in your search.
👣 🌏
Hey thankyou so much, will definitely check that out!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used a Rumpl blanket on my first Camino, the Frances. It served it's purpose and kept me plenty warm on the cold nights. I will not use it on my next Camino. It took up way too much space in my 40L pack. As Kassie Tax stated, it does not compress well. I tried a compression sack, but there was minimal improvement in the compression over the stuff sack that came with it. I ended up joining MEC and purchasing their Camino sleeping bag. It is next to my Rumpl in the closet and is much smaller and should provide just as much comfort while taking up less space. The Camino bag seems to be similar to the ubiquitous sleeping bags that can be found hanging in outdoor stores all along the Camino for 50 to 60E.
Thanks yeah the lack of compression/packing down seems to be a problem. I also use a 40L bag so your feedback is really helpful, thankyou.

At a similar price, I took a NanoPuff blanket, sewed the foot to make a box, and wound up with a light, rectangular “bag” that I used successfully on my last Camino last September… It compresses pretty well and insulates even if it gets damp…

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Rumpl looks like an expensive version of the Marine Corp "Woobie" poncho liner.

I've used a Double Black Diamond down throw in the past

1646129855704.png

but it started to leak feathers so last summer I bought a Get Out Gear one which comes fitted with KAM snaps to turn it into a Watchman cape - idea for sitting around outside the camper as the evenings cooled off:

1646129726854.png

Inside the van (which gets pretty cool at night in a British "summer") it goes inside a silk liner, a la @trecile, and was more than warm enough. I got it through Amazon and it arrived, New Jersey to UK, in just three days with no postage charge!

did i see this correctly that the mentioned blanket weighs around 1kg?
If so, what's the point? Even cheap sleeping bags can be lighter, not to speak of the more expensive down variants.

Am curious as to why you put it inside the silk liner and not on top?

Is it because it might slide off the liner if on top? 🤔

@trecile @Jeff Crawley

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Am curious as to why you put it inside the silk liner and not on top?

Is it because it might slide off the liner if on top? 🤔
Yes, that's why. Also, my blanket is very tiny, and I think that having it inside the envelope of my silk sleep sack helps to create more insulation to trap heat inside the sleep sack. At least that's my scientifically unproven theory. 😉

Yes, that's why. Also, my blanket is very tiny, and I think that having it inside the envelope of my silk sleep sack helps to create more insulation to trap heat inside the sleep sack. At least that's my scientifically unproven theory. 😉
Agree, the silk on nylon is way too slippy

The Rumpl looks like an expensive version of the Marine Corp "Woobie" poncho liner.

View attachment 119594

but it started to leak feathers so last summer I bought a Get Out Gear one which comes fitted with KAM snaps to turn it into a Watchman cape - idea for sitting around outside the camper as the evenings cooled off:

View attachment 119593

Inside the van (which gets pretty cool at night in a British "summer") it goes inside a silk liner, a la @trecile, and was more than warm enough. I got it through Amazon and it arrived, New Jersey to UK, in just three days with no postage charge!
I had one of my poncho liners sewn up approximately 3/4 of the way around, and got a stuff sack to put it in. Never weighed it, but I would guess it's a little more than a pound and in the sack about the size of a 2 litre soda bottle. It is very roomy and makes a great summer weight sleeping bag. Also easily washed and dried. Mine was issued to me and I have had it for years but I think they can be bought surplus pretty cheap.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

View attachment 119594

View attachment 119593

Yeah, but I love my Woobie. Especially now that they have a zip and can be used as a bag or a blanket. Having said that, I took my snugpack bag which only weighed slightly more than the woobie.

For my summer Camino this year, I am planning on a sleeping bag liner and a travel Rumpl. The Rumpl blankets are incredibly warm and if needed I can use it inside the liner. The travel size is large enough to cover me, but I’m a short and sleep scrunched up😊. At .7 lb the weight was not too heavy and it folds up pretty small. Perhaps the travel version might be enough for you too?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

View attachment 119594

View attachment 119593

I have this same brand (the Get out Gear) and use it in addition to the Sea to Summit bag liner with insect shield and have been absolutely amazed how warm and comfortable they both are.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.