• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Runners or trail runners?

Gabi Wehler

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino Frances mid May 2018
I am certainly no boot person. Have a wide foot and one which is permanently swollen. Found some Salomon trail runners which fit perfect with 2size up from normal shoe size. Love them as they have this quick easy do-up string which holds n grabs my foot in place n prevents it from slipping forward on slopes. Great for avoiding blisters n blue nails. Trained over 6wks now. Not a single blister. BUT. They are meant for trails n soft ground. As am training often for miles on tarmac I now noticed that the grip is wearing off and I need to buy another pair for the Camino. A sales cleark told me I’d be better off with runners as they last longer if walking long distance and on hard surface. However, I am a bit concerned whether they’ll let me down on lose gravel and on slopes and whether they’ll have enough grip. Just bought a new pair of trail runners. Havn’t worn them yet and wonder whether I should swap them for some runners. Your thoughts / ideas would be appreciated. Many thnx in advance

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It depends...

I walked most of the route in regular runners and they were perfect for it. However, I only had a single day with rain on the whole trip, which doesnt Seem to be the case this year. The CF route is largely on road or hard packed gravel which is no problem for runners - if it is not completely muddy.

If I were going again in a period like last fall were i didn’t rain at all. I would pick plain runners again without thinking twice about it - the are perfect for 99% of the route - however due to uncertainity about the weather I might go with trailrunners. Be be aware that you can get trailrunners which Excel on different surfaces, I made the mistake of getting some which got worn down very fast on tarmac.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Trail runners are runners. The difference, aside from a minimal increase in weight for the pair, is that they have a beefier motion control; they have a thin and light and flexible thermoplastic or carbon fiber rock plate which keeps debris, like sharp rocks, pebbles, roots, and other debris underfoot from poking into the sole of your foot and causing soreness; they have a bit more and a more durable cushioning; they have an outsole with a more aggressive and deeper tread and which improves traction in rain.

There is a now a long-term experience of backpackers using trail runners and road runners. I disagree with the notion that road runners hold up better over combined walking types of surfaces. The technology has moved past that thinking. Your concern about what is best for more rugged conditions is on point.

The fact is, road runners can work, but they will be less comfortable and more prone to losing traction on less developed sections of the Camino, whereas the opposite is not true for trail runners. The biggest downside for trail runners is that they may add a few more ounces of weight per shoe over the road runners.

If they fit and don’t cause blisters wear the Solomons. I was going to wear mine but made a last minute decision and got Altra Timps sized one up. I also have very wide feet. I’m on day four of the Camino Francés right now with out any foot issues. It had not rained in the last couple days but the trail is very muddy and the Altras are good so far. I will say the my Solomon’s did grip down hill much bettet

Thanks everyone. Appreciate your input. Decided to go again ahead with another pair of Salomon trail runners. The new ones have a better cushioning, more layers and more little grips and are supposed to be for various terrain. My first ones - so I got explained - are more for grassy earthen surface. No wonder they didn’t last.
I have very wide feet, too. Bought 2 sizes up to compensate. Feel good. And because of the easy lace system hold my foot in place and prevent slipping forward. Will try them out tomorrow. Buen Camino to those who are walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I love my La Sportiva Wildcats. I am a pretty avid trail runner and have done lots of hiking in them. I've even hiked the Appalachian Trail and Kilimanjaro in trail runners. BUT.... the Camino was different. Walking on hard surfaces in the heat (I did the CF in August/Sept.) was tougher. My feet swelled and I had the worst blisters of my life. After about 350 km I switched out to Keen sandals, which are cooler and allow for expansion. They were wonderful. So as I am planning for my next trip when it will be cooler I think I will go to a version of Keens that are wider. But I may stay with sandals.

IMHO, whichever is more sturdy and provides the added room for layered socks, daily swelling, toe-front clearance in the toe box, and carrying 20 pounds or @ 10 kg or more.

They are your feet and ankles. Take good care of them.

@Aptrail I had a similar experience. My asics trail runners proved a disaster for my feet last summer even though I had done plenty of hiking in them back home. By day 5, they seemed to provide no protection from the rocky roads or asphalt and the Goretex made my feet swell in the heat. By the time I found a shop to buy new trainers I was in agony. I bought a large pair of Solomon hiking shoes which amazingly took me to Santiago. I did see other people wearing asics and they seemed to have no problems, but I need big, non-gtx, protective hiking shoes.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Shoes are very personal. Phil wore his trusty Keens the whole trip and never got a blister, but he also stopped and took his sock off and readjusted at the slightest hint of discomfort. I wore La Sportiva trail runners and sprained my ankle outside of Los Arcos, then developed a blister first on the right foot just outside of Carrion dl Condes and a matching one on the left a few days later. I was impatient and did not stop when I knew something did not feel right and just kept on walking. I think my impatience is what contributed to the issues.

I am certainly no boot person. Have a wide foot and one which is permanently swollen. Found some Salomon trail runners which fit perfect with 2size up from normal shoe size. Love them as they have this quick easy do-up string which holds n grabs my foot in place n prevents it from slipping forward on slopes. Great for avoiding blisters n blue nails. Trained over 6wks now. Not a single blister. BUT. They are meant for trails n soft ground. As am training often for miles on tarmac I now noticed that the grip is wearing off and I need to buy another pair for the Camino. A sales cleark told me I’d be better off with runners as they last longer if walking long distance and on hard surface. However, I am a bit concerned whether they’ll let me down on lose gravel and on slopes and whether they’ll have enough grip. Just bought a new pair of trail runners. Havn’t worn them yet and wonder whether I should swap them for some runners. Your thoughts / ideas would be appreciated. Many thnx in advance

I wore Salomón Speedcross 4 w Goretex Trail runners for my recent Camino del Norte (finished 2 weeks ago) . Loved the tread as the first 2 weeks were lots of trail, mud, rocks, dirt paths. But it rained almost every other day and by week 3 I started to have foot pain which I attributed to walking long days on pavement (the only negative aspect of El Norte - too much pavement). The treads were flat by end of my Camino and I still have the foot pain (2 weeks since I finished and still with tendon/ligament problems) I think developed because that nice grip fit was lost with so many days of wet walking (yes goretex but not 100% waterproof) then drying at night ie the trail runner lost its form. But they were fantastic for heavy mud and forests. I also,don’t do boots so now I’ll have to try something else for my next Camino.

No two people have the same feet, or the same body characteristics. Hence, your footwear solution is yours alone.

Smaller, lighter people can get away with lighter footwear. Larger folks, or those with problem feet, need concomitantly more sturdy footwear. That is just the way it is.

The goal is rugged utility, foot protection and comfort. You are going to be in those shoes or boots for eight hours a day or more. They had darned well better be like heaven on your feet. The Camino is NOT a fashion parade.

Take good care of your feet and they will take care of you. Old Italian proverb “buy cheap, pay twice...”

Hope this helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love my La Sportiva Wildcats. I am a pretty avid trail runner and have done lots of hiking in them. I've even hiked the Appalachian Trail and Kilimanjaro in trail runners. BUT.... the Camino was different. Walking on hard surfaces in the heat (I did the CF in August/Sept.) was tougher. My feet swelled and I had the worst blisters of my life. After about 350 km I switched out to Keen sandals, which are cooler and allow for expansion. They were wonderful. So as I am planning for my next trip when it will be cooler I think I will go to a version of Keens that are wider. But I may stay with sandals.
Thanks. Good to know you survived in sandals. Am taking my Tevas. Love them. In fact, will be walking today in them to see how I get on walking long distance with my pack as so far only wore them without a backpack. But am confident I’ll be fine. No problem yesterday on 5km. Think I will switch between trail runners n sandals depending on terrain. That way I’ll be covered for all cases. Also, in rain, better to wear sandals as avoiding blisters when walking in wet socks in closed shoes. Feeling more confident in knowing what to do when. My goal is to be bluster n pain free. Want to enjoy, not suffer.

I wore Salomón Speedcross 4 w Goretex Trail runners for my recent Camino del Norte (finished 2 weeks ago) . Loved the tread as the first 2 weeks were lots of trail, mud, rocks, dirt paths. But it rained almost every other day and by week 3 I started to have foot pain which I attributed to walking long days on pavement (the only negative aspect of El Norte - too much pavement). The treads were flat by end of my Camino and I still have the foot pain (2 weeks since I finished and still with tendon/ligament problems) I think developed because that nice grip fit was lost with so many days of wet walking (yes goretex but not 100% waterproof) then drying at night ie the trail runner lost its form. But they were fantastic for heavy mud and forests. I also,don’t do boots so now I’ll have to try something else for my next Camino.
That’s exactly the same one I have. As walking on lots of tarmac they have already lots quite a few of the grip. Now I got Xtreme with more grip and different thickness. The cross 4 are for soft surface. Although I love them decided to go for another pair. But again from Salomon. Someone told me about Salomon 3D Pro. She did the Camino in those and loved them

Thanks for all the feedback. Decided to get the new Salomon but a different type with more grip than the first pair and I’ll take my Teva sandals and swap depending on surface. No way I’ll be walking 8hrs or carrying 10+kg. My pack weighs 5.2 -5.5 depending which gear I am wearing. I will take care of my body and mind. I aim to walk 10km/day on average anywhere from 5-15 depending on how much I walked the day before, on albergues Location and how much time I want to hang around a village/town/city. Plan to be at Albergue between 1-2pm lastest to have time to shower, wash clothes, rest and wander around the town to explore and connect with people. If I get to Leon, great. Then bus to Santiago and continue the other part Leon-Santiago next year. Spain won’t disappear and the Camino will welcome me back any time I want, am sure. Have no time limit. Depending on weather (if not too hot n crowded) and how I feel might even continue a while into July

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You seem to have an optimum attitude for a successful Camino. Well considered decisions on gear, packing, or any other aspect of your Camino, the the best kind.

It is a variant of the old saw...”measure twice, cut once...” the sentiment applies here. Think two or three times, consider pros, cons and options, then act with confidence.

Have a great camino. It is life-affirming, and life-altering experience. Once you do it, you will forever be a different person.

Hope this helps.

You seem to have an optimum attitude for a successful Camino. Well considered decisions on gear, packing, or any other aspect of your Camino, the the best kind.

It is a variant of the old saw...”measure twice, cut once...” the sentiment applies here. Think two or three times, consider pros, cons and options, then act with confidence.

Have a great camino. It is life-affirming, and life-altering experience. Once you do it, you will forever be a different person.

Hope this helps.
Muchas gracias mi amigo. I appreciate your kind words and feedback.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wore Hoka runners in WIDE for CF last Sept/ October. No problems at all and I’d wear them again, fully appreciative of the spongy base, which still has tread left. But they might have been slippery if we’d had heavy rain.

Wore Hoka runners in WIDE for CF last Sept/ October. No problems at all and I’d wear them again, fully appreciative of the spongy base, which still has tread left. But they might have been slippery if we’d had heavy rain.
Never heard of that brand. Don’t know whether available in NZ

My Salomon Speed Cross 3's were on the last legs by the time I finished
the CF but what with the walk itself and a couple of months training I
reckoned they'd covered over 700 miles.

The non gortex versions run a lot cooler and when they do get wet they
dry out very quickly.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.