• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Running Clothes?

Hello!

I'm a newbie with not a ton of money to spend on new clothing for my walk starting May 1st. I only plan on bringing a couple changes of clothes and supplementing with layers on top of that and am wondering what will work out this time of year.

I am thinking of just using a couple pairs of running capris as well as a couple of running racer-back tops (items I already own) with built in bras to cut down on another layer. Am I nuts? Will this be ok?

Any suggestions on layers to bring on top of this?

Thanks in advance!
Joan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't comment on the specific items you mention, I'm sure others more knowledgeable can. like you I don't have a ton of money and didn't buy specific new clothes for the camino but I walked when it was colder. A couple of changes of clothes is fine, there are washing machines on the way and you can almost always share a washing machine with others.
The temperature in May is likely to be variable, first thing in the morning may still be chilly, but when the sun shines in Spain it can be very warm, wear clothes that you are comfortable in for walking and will be comfortable in in the albergue. People wear all kinds of clothes, I wore baggy T-shirts because they were also comfortable to sleep in!
Enjoy your preparation,
Sue

Hola

The key thing is being able to wear layers of clothes if it is cold partcularly in the evening/night. Running gear is fine but I'd also advise you to take a fleece. You will also need some kind of rain gear - either a waterproof jacket and/or trousers or a poncho.

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In addition to the aforementioned:

Consider adding a 30gal trash bag (I call it a "life saver")...it weighs nearly nothing and has many uses, the most important is that it's a vapor barrier and will retain warmth at your core.

First, cut a hole for your head in the top and at the arms. Try it on. Should not be too snug or irritate at the neck, arm pits and shoulder. If it
s too snug...get a larger size.

Second, when and where should you wear it?

Secondly, I've found that if the outside temp is 40 degrees F/4.4 degrees C...walking I will generate sufficient heat to be very comfortable until the sun works it's magic...then I take it off.

Thirdly, a poncho, as JW mentioned can come in handy...then again, sometimes it's a light rain or mist, you may not want to take out the poncho. In this case, put the "life saver" over your fleece. Now the fleece can be as light weight as a vest, rather than a full jacket. Remember, it's your core your looking to protect...then arms are just extra.

Lastly, since you probably have trash bags at home already...it works for you frugal approach to gear.

Before you depart, give the "life saver" a try. Experiment when and where you can use it too best effect.

Buen Camino

Arn

".... couple pairs of running capris as well as a couple of running racer-back tops (items I already own) with built in bras to cut down on another layer. Am I nuts? Will this be ok?.."

No...You aren't nuts at all...but perhaps be careful with the layering...to make sure you can stay warm esp at higher altitudes. I was very comfy in capris..saw lots of ladies wearing running ones..wish I'd brought mine! I also used a very thin jacket together with arm warmers and tech tshirts to layer very specifically. Start the morning with the arm warmers...peel them off as the sun came up...or just roll them down and then back up as needed. But then I tend to run very warm when walking. But for basic beginnings...your running gear should be great. Just stop and envision wearing it for weeks....maybe one button up shirt over??? to layer?

Buen Camino
Karin

Just be aware that rural Spain is more conservative than the big cities, so think about taking a top or coverup for when going into stores, churches, etc.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I always wear my running gear on the Camino. As the others mentioned, make sure you have at least one long-sleeve, lightweight shirt (you probably own a running one that will work fine) to put on top, and some kind of raincoat or the garbage bag cover-up. Oh, and depending on your backpack, make sure that the straps will be O.K. with whatever straps are on your running shirt. if you've got more of a spaghetti strap, for example, having backpack straps on top might be uncomfortable for hours of walking -- you might need tops with wider, flatter straps.

I like the idea of arm warmers -- I'm leaving on Sunday for the VDLP, and just might stop by my running store and grab a pair before I go. I've always wanted to try them for running, but never got around to buying any.

Melanie

Thank you all so much!

This has been incredibly helpful and I will be sticking with running clothes for the journey (both tank version and an additional longsleeved layer) as well as a poncho for rain.

I'm now looking in to the fleece suggestion on top of this.

Joan

Did my first 16k training walk yesterday in the running clothes and it was great! Am headed to REI though to get better socks and a better (non-cotton) top.

I think this is going to work out really well :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.