• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Running El Camino

Thierry V.

Time of past OR future Camino
Planned to run from Belgium to Santiago in March 2018
I'm from Belgium and I always wanted to walk to Santiago. Why ? Not sure. Yet.

As I like to run (around 100 K/ week) I decided (to try) to run to Santiago rather then to walk. As result I'm currently planning and training to start my run from Belgium to Santiago on March 3rd 2018.

Based upon research it is clear I will not be able to run the entire route due to ground conditions / elevation/...but it is my intent to complete the route running as much as possible (Current estimate is roughly 80%). Total distance will be around 2300-2400 Km which I plan to run in maximum 100 days (including Finisterre / restdays). I will finetune my planning based upon how my training progresses - current aim is to be able to run around 30-40 K/day (in stages) with 1 day rest per week. I'm building up to run 150K / week by July and 200 K by December.

The route I will take is Gent (Belgium ) - Reims - Vézelay - Bourges - SJPDP. I'm evaluating which route to take in Spain. Either the Camino Frances or Camino El Northe. From a running perspective (based upon elevation / weather / distance between villages) the Camino Frances seems the more logical decision although the camino el Northe seems less crowded and more "natural". T

I do not plan any logistic support and will carry whatever I need in a backpack (current backpack weight is around 5100 gram (incl.backpack / excl. food - I think to be able to reduce backpack weight further to 4500-4750 gr ) .

I'm interested in any leanings/advice from people who have run themselves (completely /partial) to Santiago regarding feasibility / material / routes /.....

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Thierry

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks. Much Appreciated. Great to read that others ran their Camino successfully. great motivation.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
wellcome! so far I remember there have been several threads discussing technical and spiritual aspects of camino running. for some info you may take also a look at http://jannekankaansyrja.blogspot.fi. my personal opinion however is, that you will get most when walking. according your plan 30-40km daily sounds doable and should take no more than 4-5h. you will have a plenty of time to explore surroundings at the stops, but somehow miss everything in between.
long distance trekking is enjoyable best when covering let say 40-50km daily at walking speed (8-10h). in contrast, ultramarathons are great as well, but then one covers like in UTMB 170km in 48h. perhaps you may first try to run some 10km on a moderate technical trail with 5kg backpack, and if you still like the feeling, then buen camino running!

Thanks. for the input. as per message I'm running around 100k / week today mixed between trail and road. I regular carry a backpack of around 2 kilo so will have to build up...
when running I enjoy the scenery and hope to meet people in the evening and stops.
Running gives the me the time and cadans the think and reflect. that's what I like about running so looking forward to be able to do this 100 days in row :)
thanks for your support.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Pair of trail runner shoes, pair of shorts, two Merino shirts, Merino underpants and socks, ultralightweight warm jacket, rain jacket, hat, gloves
Should aim to have 12-15L pack weighing 3kg - then allow for up to 1.5L water as well

I've not read any of the threads. When I walked CF, I was about a year out from having ran the Boston Marathon for three years straight and was hoping to resume running for a week long endurance event later that summer. Anyway, my point, I suppose, is that while I didn't run, nor had I planned to run, the Camino, I looked at it from a runner's perspective and I think it's totally doable. There were days toward the end, that I ran little chunks, just because I was so eager to be running, even though I didn't really have the gear to do so. With a good fitting bag and minimal load, it would be great. And with all day to spend, you could run a few 10k sections per day.

Don't know what the sections you reference look like, but of course a major obstacle will be the people on narrow sections of trail. You may want to have a 'bell' of some kind to notify people you are approaching, as a courtesy, and be prepared to have to walk when there's too many people.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Pair of trail runner shoes, pair of shorts, two Merino shirts, Merino underpants and socks, ultralightweight warm jacket, rain jacket, hat, gloves
Should aim to have 12-15L pack weighing 3kg - then allow for up to 1.5L water as well
I've not read any of the threads. When I walked CF, I was about a year out from having ran the Boston Marathon for three years straight and was hoping to resume running for a week long endurance event later that summer. Anyway, my point, I suppose, is that while I didn't run, nor had I planned to run, the Camino, I looked at it from a runner's perspective and I think it's totally doable. There were days toward the end, that I ran little chunks, just because I was so eager to be running, even though I didn't really have the gear to do so. With a good fitting bag and minimal load, it would be great. And with all day to spend, you could run a few 10k sections per day.

Don't know what the sections you reference look like, but of course a major obstacle will be the people on narrow sections of trail. You may want to have a 'bell' of some kind to notify people you are approaching, as a courtesy, and be prepared to have to walk when there's too many people.
Like the idea of a Bell. Agree with your feasibility assessment. From your Point of view what would be the more difficult sectio's ? Thanks. Thierry

runner shoes - check
, pair of short - check
two Merino shirts - will go for something Technical
, Merino underpants -
and socks. - 3 pairs (1 using) ,
ultralightweight warm jacket - check
rain jacket - check
, hat - check
gloves - Good idea !?
Should aim to have 12-15L pack weighing 3kg - have a 28 l pack in mind

- then allow for up to 1.5L water as we - check

I walk 45km per day on the Camino Norte during May & September - 12L fits my clothes, sleeping bag liner and up to 4L of liquid - if you want to carry a sleeping bag, you'll need a bigger pack than mine

Don't worry too much about relative difficulty of the different sections - hills typically have steady gradients - one surprise might be the amount of road surfaces (but can be softer at the side of the road)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would love to be able to run like that!

Only downside is the same one that afflicts the solo cyclists - speed loneliness. You won't see the same people again: day in day out new faces, never anyone recognising you and saying how are you, you look well, etc. This community is a big part of what draws people to this endeavour. You know your own character and how much this might bother you, or maybe you might like it. But give it some thought.

I too have thought if going back to run various sections of the CF. I've walked 3 caminos and although I am a runner it never occurred to me to run any section of it while I was walking it with my fellow walkers ( it kinda has its own pace). Might be a lonely pursuit unless there are few fellow runners who fancy it. You can't fit into the the rythm of the camino if you don't meet up with fellow masochists at end of day... I am super fit right now and have promised myself that if I go to walk the Via de la Plata soon I will run 5-10 k at the end of any "short" days (<20km).

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.