• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Running shoes ok?

Jade Ulrich

Time of past OR future Camino
Mid-September 2015
Can people get away with wearing non-waterproof running shoes on the Camino?

Today I purchased trail shoes (similar to these: http://www.rei.com/product/871335/salomon-xa-comp-7-cs-wp-trail-running-shoes-womens). I REALLY don't like how hot they make me (as they are waterproof).

As a runner, I have grown up loving my running shoes. I have been warned about blisters and footrot with rain and wet shoes. What are people's opinion on wearing non-waterproof running shoes on the Camino mid-September through mid-October?

Thank you for any and all advice!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have you found it bearable to continue walking in them once they are wet? Or do wet shoes ruin your feet if walking is continued?

Change socks at least once or twice a day if they get wet, if it stops raining, you eventually will "walk the water out" of your running shoes, that sure won't happen with gore-tex or other waterproof footwear.
I didn't have a choice when my shoes got soaked, but I knew that they would eventually dry if it stopped raining and I kept walking.

Jade, by all means do your camino with your own runners, return the trail shoes!
I did what you should not: Bought an expensive pair of hiking shoes, ran them in (100km+) and developed a nasty tendinitis on day 3. The shoes were too heavy, stiff and hot to my liking. Finally bought a pair of light runners in Leon...the relieve was indescribable.

Now, about "waterproof": No shoes really are, it is just a matter of time and intensity of rain 'till they get soaked. Also, "w/p" shoes seal-off the heat, as you noticed rightly.
Light (non-"w/p") runners will do fine; sure enough they get wet in rain....so what...it did not bother me much. They dried-up quickly in intermittent rain and, -with stuffed-in newspaper-, over night at the albergue. A few times when it was pouring, I took-off the socks, doesn't work for everyone, I know, but I got used to.
For most of the time in good weather (90% of my camino), my runners were heaven.
Buen camino to you.

Salomon gore tex get the x ultra 2.

You will thank me. I got the larger size they are great not hot at all.

I would get mids and wear goretex pants in winter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Second verse same as the first - could get better but gonna get worse: Remember the "Sunscreen Song" 'Be kind to your knees, you're gonna miss them when they're gone' (I do!). Running shoes will get you through, however they provide no support for your ankles, your knees, your lower back - call back in ten years or so and let's talk about it.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Salomon gore tex get the x ultra 2.
You will thank me. I got the larger size they are great not hot at all.

Salomon x ultra 2 non goretex was my choice. It was a totally different feel on my feet than the identical style with goretex.

Bottom line - go and try several brands and definitely different styles of the same brand. You will probably quickly narrow down the choice that works for your feet.

I walk in running shoes (trail model) here in the Swedish mountains and instead of wearing gore-tex shoes I bring a pair of gore-tex socks. Great to put on either when it starts raining or you have to pass a wet part or changing to them when you already have been wet. The shoe will dry and your feet are still dry and you can change back to normal socks. On my last camino I wore the gore-tex socks in my sandal (yes I walk the caminos in sandals) when I walked one day in heavy rain and thunderstorm. The gore-tex socks are a little bit expensive and they don't hold for long so use them only when needed.

Make sure to test out the shoes with backpack and walking and preferable also downhill as the fot movement is different inside the shoe when waking instead of running (I have made the misstake the other way around, trying to run in my perfect hiking shoe). You could also look on pure walking shoes, they have more cushion in the heal and are stiffer but they might be to stiff when walking off road. I have walked 100 km races in my trail shoes and asphalt is not good for the soles wears them down.

Good luck with finding the right shoe for you.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Today I purchased trail shoes (similar to these: http://www.rei.com/product/871335/salomon-xa-comp-7-cs-wp-trail-running-shoes-womens). I REALLY don't like how hot they make me (as they are waterproof).

As a runner, I have grown up loving my running shoes. I have been warned about blisters and footrot with rain and wet shoes. What are people's opinion on wearing non-waterproof running shoes on the Camino mid-September through mid-October?

you probably should stick to something waterproof and with a bit of traction

Second verse same as the first - could get better but gonna get worse: Remember the "Sunscreen Song" 'Be kind to your knees, you're gonna miss them when they're gone' (I do!). Running shoes will get you through, however they provide no support for your ankles, your knees, your lower back - call back in ten years or so and let's talk about it.
Sorry Scruffy but you might be scaring-off advise-seeking folks unnecessarily, imho. Being Swiss, I am frequently in (real) mountains with unsecured trails and glaciers well above 3000 m. There, sturdy hiking shoes and good ankle support are a must. So I know what you mean. The camino however, during Sep/Oct is for most of its part just a long walking tour on well maintained paths, many paved, with only occasional moderate roughs, such as some descents in the pyrenees, down Alto de Perdon and O Cebreiro. None of that would compare to alpine conditions but caution is advised when it rains, of course.
All considered, I maintain my humble advise to Jade. :)

I wore regular running shoes on the Camino this Spring (Asics), and they were absolutely fine, very comfortable all the way. Not waterproof, but with a lot of mesh so they dried quickly on the rare occasions they got a bit wet. In fact we had almost freakishly good weather, hardly any rain the whole way which is unusual for that time of year. I had been training in sturdier trail runners but after some ankle issues I changed to the others on the advice of my podiatrist (who came to the shop with me - it was just next door!). In fact I ended up with men's runners on his advice, as those just happened to provide the best support and fit for my feet. I had no problem at all with the terrain either, and ankle support was never an issue, even on the very rough downhill stretches. Shoes that don't come up over the ankle can still be supporting the ankle if they are the right fit and internal structure.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Saucony Peregrine 5 running shoes work great for me and my feet don't sweat in them. I say go with what works for you.

No need for waterproof shoes on the Camino. Wear your runners. Soles with traction do help, and I suppose that's why trail runners seem to be a good solution.
If your feet get wet, no big deal. You are only walking for a few hours a day. You take them off when you get to the albergue. No worries for trench foot. Not like your a doughboy in WWI and your feet stay wet 24/7.

I must be odd. I brought hiking shoes that were just my size. What a mistake that was. No swelling allowance. I had to buy new shoes and now as I was in Spain on the Camino Frances.In the town I was in they did not have hiking shoes. I ended up with running shoes. They must not have been very good because I felt every pebble and rock I walked on. Any shoe suggestions for my next Camino in late August 2016? Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jade,

I wore running shoes happily and successfully last year until Sarria. Then, due to near constant rain, I bought some GoreTex shoes for the rest of the trip.

With the running shoes I had zero blisters or issues. With the GoreTex shoes I had so many blisters I could hardly walk. Although it seemed good to have the Goretex for walking 5 hours a day in rain or for the areas of the trail where it was muddy puddles for stretches up to 6 inches deep and no way around it, I didn't think they were really worth it as your feet get soaked anyway, and I certainly would not have wanted Goretex for the all those hot sunny days before the almost nonstop rain, either.

In short: Goretex did not work for me; running shoes did. Only you know best what works for you. I've found the best way to avail myself of these forum resources is to read what did or did not work for others and think about what that means to me--but not to take anyone's advice--for one can see example after example on these forums of people declaring what to do or not to do only to have someone else contradict it entirely in the very same thread.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Bought those very same Salomon GoreTex shoes for my next Camino. They came highly recommended.

But now I have the very same concern you do. The feet get too hot! Rethinking Goretex. Might just re-use my old non-GoreTex running shoes.

Hardly saw any rain at all on my first Camino. Maybe I'll get lucky again.

Jade, you do NOT need waterproof shoes on the Camino.
In fact, they're more likely to give you blisters.
You need shoes that breathe.
Get some trail runners that are comfie and not waterproof.
If they get wet, they're dry by morning, unlike boots.
And if you DO get caught in a rainstorm, you won't notice wet feet as long as you have good socks.

Take those waterproof shoes back!
That's my recommendation along with the others above.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bought those very same Salomon GoreTex shoes for my next Camino. They came highly recommended.

But now I have the very same concern you do. The feet get too hot! Rethinking Goretex. Might just re-use my old non-GoreTex running shoes.

Hardly saw any rain at all on my first Camino. Maybe I'll get lucky again.

Padre, don't wear Goretex.
Just use the running shoes you are comfortable with or buy a new pair of the non-waterproof running shoes that are comfie.

When your feet get soaking wet they blister. Look after your feet. Not had 1 foot problem in over 4000km.

I just dont understand the hate on gore tex. Gore tex has looked after me time and time again.

Different shoes/boots for dfferent tasks.

Jade, you do NOT need waterproof shoes on the Camino.
In fact, they're more likely to give you blisters.
You need shoes that breathe.
Get some trail runners that are comfie and not waterproof.
If they get wet, they're dry by morning, unlike boots.
And if you DO get caught in a rainstorm, you won't notice wet feet as long as you have good socks.

Take those waterproof shoes back!
That's my recommendation along with the others above.

I disagree 100 percent. Good luck drying out wet shoes if you get a weeks worth of rain. Trench foot hey, sounds nice.

Tennis shoes runners in wet ground and mud are going to soak up water.

Seen so many bad feet on the camino. Most with ill fitting runners. They might be good on the flat, then they start to hurt on the descents squashing tendons on the toe off. Get proper cross country shoes from salomon.

Run a marathon on bitumen, then get the right shoes for that.

€83,-
I disagree 100 percent. Good luck drying out wet shoes if you get a weeks worth of rain. Trench foot hey, sounds nice.

Tennis shoes runners in wet ground and mud are going to soak up water.

Seen so many bad feet on the camino. Most with ill fitting runners. They might be good on the flat, then they start to hurt on the descents squashing tendons on the toe off. Get proper cross country shoes from salomon.

Run a marathon on bitumen, then get the right shoes for that.

And I respectfully disagree with you. :cool:

The worst feet I've seen are on people wearing boots (who aren't USED to wearing boots) and people wearing waterproof shoes.
Waterproof shoes will NOT keep your feet dry.
First, it is very difficult to physically seal off footwear from external sources of moisture;
and second, the “waterproof” materials used in such footwear are not reliably waterproof and they trap perspiration.
Water runs down the ankle and into the lacing holes and then cannot escape, setting people up for blisters and fungus.
The shoes don't breathe.

Trail runners hold up the best, imo.
They are lightweight, and when they do get soaked, they quickly dry overnight.
They breathe.
I have worn them on more than 7 Caminos, in sun, rain, sleet, hail, snow and they've performed like champs!
My shoes have NEVER "soaked up water."
They're made for the trail and the weather.

We're not talking 'tennis shoes" here - we're talking trail runners.

In addition, most of the rain I've seen in Fall in after November, and she's walking mid-September through October.
She is more likely to see heat than rain, and heat + waterproof shoes make a dangerous combination.'
Her feet are going to sweat and she needs lightweight, breathable shoes, imo.

Regarding descents, there aren't enough descents to even call them descents.
The Camino is not a mountain climb, it is a slow trek.
If your shoes fit well, your toes will not hit the front when you descend, no matter what you're wearing.

Lastly, I don't run marathons on bitumen.
I walk the Camino.
A whole other animal.
And I've found trail runners to be just perfect.:p

A survey of people who have actually walked the entire Camino might be interesting?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Totaly disagree with your advice,

Firstly if you get your feet measured by a profesional reputable boot shoe out door fitter you will have no problems.

How many rain days have you walked in a row in your runners.

I was in the unexpected heatwave in spring. We had hail storms and solid rain for three days on 2 occasions.

I saw people with wet sox and news papers in runners with terrible feet.

My feet dry as toast, my sox dry as a toast.

I wear gortex pants and goretex boots in such a climate.

What if the person wants to use them elsewhere at a different time in the future?

Edited by Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are lightweight, and when they do get soaked, they quickly dry overnight.
They breathe.

My experience as well. We got 2 days of heavy rain during our Camino in May, my Mizunos got really swampy.... but dried overnight. I admit we stopped in private inns those nights (because we were so wet and wanted some warmth) and the rooms were warm, what certainly helped, but they were indeed perfect to be used the next day.

I'm favourable to running shoes/sports shoes when people are used to them. I'd advocate for boots if the person tells me "I always wear them". For the camino, you should wear shoes you trust, instead of trying something new.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My first experience with goretex was in the military, I originally thought it would be able to keep me dry, after a field exercise with days of constant rain, it was good for the first 48 hours, after that, everything was soaked and it took a few days for the boots to fully dry out after the exercise.
Honestly, I preferred the standard issue leather combat boots over the fancy goretex lined boots, If I was on a long forced march and had to cross streams (over the top of the boot), I learned that after changing socks at the first break after getting soaked that the boots would eventually dry as long as I kept walking. The same couldn't be said for goretex, my feet would stay damp the rest of day.

I've been moving from light boots to trail runners for all my hikes over the past few years. This year I've dayhiked 20 miles in the Grand Canyon and backpacked in the Sierras. My preferred shoes are Brooks Cascadias which are also often recommended by thru hikers on the long trails in the US. I'm hoping to try them on the Camino in September.

Here's a bonus tip: I wear knee-high compression socks (www.sigvaris.com) and Dirty Girl gaiters (www.dirtygirlgaiters.com) to keep gravel out of the shoes.

I have done wet weather in gp military boots, leather hikers etc.

I was 43 days in snow and wet in everest and nepal and my aku gortex performed flawlessly.

Certainly would not be taking leather snow seal technology. Its old technology.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ask 20 people and you get 20 different answers. I've seen people blistererd up to their knees but who still thought their shoes were fine....

For me their is no alternative to lightweight(ish) sturdy leather shoes.
-They give support and hold your foot in place when going up- or downhill.
-Leather (+leather lining) so like a second breathable skin around your foot.
-Sturdy so my feet don't feel like they've been tenderized by a meat hammer after walking on rocky trails for a few hours.
-Treated with wax or something similar to make them water repellent.
(Waterproof is useless, no matter what if you walk in rain for days on end they WILL get wet)

Don't forget, on the CF your feet will see 20 marathons on all sorts of terrain in a short time.
Take something that will protect your feet for that kind of use.

My favourite summer hiking shoes so far: LOWA renegade II LL LO

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back