• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino running short on time where to cut?

• Thread starter Former member 94614
  • Start date
F

Former member 94614

i really hate to ask this but I realized that I have been walking so much slower than planned that I'm going to have to cut off about 75 km from the leon--sarria section of my trip in order to be able to complete sarria to SDC in time before my flight (the compostella is important to me)

right now I realized i can only make it from Leon to around Villafranca del Bierzo, give or take, before having to bus ahead to sarria assuming i walk continuously from leon.

does anyone have any comments or advice on which sections might be best to skip over in order to get to sarria in time (by may 27th?) i am planning to spend 2 days in astorga.
.. ie: keep walking continuously from leon then skip what's left after the 26th? - or shave off other varied sections before sarria?

i usually only walk about 15k per day more or less. more than 20 is tough- i am older and have hefty arthritis that slows me down above and beyond any surprise foot issues but i sm getting stronger as i go along. any help aporeciated!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi pp - this is a tricky one.. how are you on the ups and downs? Did you start in St Jean and if so, how did you find the path to Roncesvalles? If you don't mind hills and it's just the stage length that you find hard, then I'd still go for both of those mountain sections that JW is suggesting you skip... but if you find the elevations even more testing, then JW has a point.
All I'll say is that the section between Leon and Astorga is a fairly unremarkable 100km (compared to other delights on the CF!). I'd skip that and then you have built in some additional time for the mountains. IMO the walk up to Cruz de Ferro is a long slog, but not at all steep. Going down the other side is a bit trickier than standard CF paths. The path up to O'Cebreiro is quite testing, so best to spend the night before close to it (i.e. find a billet after Villafranca)
Cheers, tom

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi pp - this is a tricky one.. how are you on the ups and downs? Did you start in St Jean and if so, how did you find the path to Roncesvalles? If you don't mind hills and it's just the stage length that you find hard, then I'd still go for both of those mountain sections that JW is suggesting you skip... but if you find the elevations even more testing, then JW has a point.
All I'll say is that the section between Leon and Astorga is a fairly unremarkable 100km (compared to ther delights on the CF!). I'd skip that and then you have built in some additional time for the mountains. IMO the walk up to Cruz de Ferro is a long slog, but not at all steep. Going down the other side is a bit trickier than standard CF paths. The path up to O'Cebreiro is quite testing, so best to spend the night before close to it (i.e. find a billet after Villafranca)
Cheers, tom
thanks- makes sense- (i started in roncesvalles btw) checking out the map...maybe will mix and match sections :)

Because the busses are tricky I would suggest bussing ahead to Villafranca del Beirzo from Leon or somewhere just prior to that. From what I understand it gets more difficult to bus ahead after Villafranca because the bus route diverts up to Lugo. This is with Alsa, so maybe there are other bus companies with different routes.

This is a silly suggestion given the info you have presented but ...... is it possible to put back your flight home by a week or so and then you have chance to do it all in your own time. Just a thought!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The path down from Cruz de Ferro via Acebo and Molinaseca is really, really difficult: lots of steep, rocky bits and loose stones everywhere. I am now in Ponferrada recovering! It was made worse by the fact that the Carretera, a winding mountain road, is well maintained whilst the Camino is in an atrocious state and quite dangerous in parts. So, my advice is to avoid this if possible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lots of good suggestions above.
How is your Spanish?

If I had to cut bits. I'd agree with cutting Leon to Astorga, so there's 50 kms gone.

Honestly I think the Cruz de Ferro is a highlight.

If your Spanish is up to it, you could taxi from Rabanal up to Foncebadon.
You said you're not that mobile, so it would cut that climb (though it's not too bad)

You could then walk Foncebadon, past the Cruz de Ferro which is a spectacular mountain top path.
Now here's where the Spanish is required.
You could get a taxi pickup from Manjarin, or the coffee caravan below the Military mast just past that.
(there used to be taxi phone numbers posted up around that area)
From there you could jump forward to Ponferrada or Villafranca saving another 50+ kms.

That means you could enjoy the walk up to O Cebreiro and all the way to SdC..

A bit of expense for a taxi, and some Spanish skills required (or assistance) but just another option.....

I did something similar with my with Pat on her first Camino, as I persuaded her to experience a few sections of the Camino between Leon and Sarria, before walking from Sarria to SdC. She didn't feel she could walk too far, but was happy to commit to that.

(Though 2 years later she joined me all the way from St Jean!)

I hope it all works out for you :)

The path down from Cruz de Ferro via Acebo and Molinaseca is really, really difficult: lots of steep, rocky bits and loose stones everywhere. I am now in Ponferrada recovering! It was made worse by the fact that the Carretera, a winding mountain road, is well maintained whilst the Camino is in an atrocious state and quite dangerous in parts. So, my advice is to avoid this if possible.

I agree, that part is hard. It starts to get steep (downhill) just before Acebo.
Last time we broke the journey at El Acebo and that helped a lot.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
wow will see what i can do thx

The part from Astorga to Sarria is one of the most spectacular on CF imho ... so wherever you are currently, you may consider to buss to Astorga right now and then in 9 days walk to Sarria. Stage suggestions plus/minus might be as follows:

View attachment 125570
thx-this is very close to what i've sort of planned out though i may grab taxi as needed for the steeper parts- depends on how i'm doing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree about skipping that treacherous part of the Camino...or...if there is very little traffic you could walk on the road to El Acebo, but you won't know until you get there.

A pity to miss any of that, but I agree with those who suggested a bus to Astorga.

I disagree about the downhill after the Cruz. It is really gorgeous. And yes, challenging in places. But totally worth it.

Maybe a taxi from Ponferrada to Villafranca, or even a bit farther. The first bit after Villafranca is flat and next to a road.

But yes. Changing your flight is the very best solution.

A pity to miss any of that, but I agree with those who suggested a bus to Astorga.

I disagree about the downhill after the Cruz. It is really gorgeous. And yes, challenging in places. But totally worth it.

Maybe a taxi from Ponferrada to Villafranca, or even a bit farther. The first bit after Villafranca is flat and next to a road.

But yes. Changing your flight is the very best solution.
thx- i'm already walking to astorga now but have it figured out somewhat!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A while back someone had a great suggestion of taxiing ahead at the beginning of the day and then walking the rest of the day. This was for someone who wanted to continue with the whole camino but couldn't walk long distances and had time constraints. You would just need to know where you want to be at the end of the day to know where the taxi needs to drop you off to start walking each day.
And shave off some kms every day until you reach Sarria. Depending on where you live probably cheaper than changing your ticket home.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A while back someone had a great suggestion of taxiing ahead at the beginning of the day and then walkithe rest of the day. This was for someone who wanted to continue with the whole camino but couldn't walk long distances and had time constraints. You would just need to know where you want to be at the end of the day to know where the taxi needs to drop you off to start walking each day.
And shave off some kms every day until you reach Sarria. Depending on where you live probably cheaper than changing your ticket home.
that is sn interesting idea. realized cant really change tix home re other commitments- i've arrived at a good schedule clisy resembling yhe one posted by
A while back someone had a great suggestion of taxiing ahead at the beginning of the day and then walking the rest of the day. This was for someone who wanted to continue with the whole camino but couldn't walk long distances and had time constraints. You would just need to know where you want to be at the end of the day to know where the taxi needs to drop you off to start walking each day.
i have arrived at a loose schedule resembling the one posted by koknesis. subject to change and i like your idea for some days- though my favorite time is to walk early mornings to see the sun rise (not bed race) btw i noticed the milky way really does run along the camino- beautiful! thanks for all the great suggestions i will combine all the wisdom into a workable plan :)

very well done on making it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
wont miss that for sure!
It's why I bought a donativo I discovered the next day.

I agree with all the above posts re which bits to miss. To get the compostela and feel fulfilled you need to walk from Sarria.

Here's another idea: taxis are cheap because it's Spain. From my village it's 2.5km to Portomarin, so a steep half an hour into Portomarin, and I see the taxis (Portomarin has 3 I think) transporting people there every day. It costs €5. There's no shame, so maybe shave off the end of every day and those extra km by doing the last few miles by taxi. Stop off at any café or albergue and the landlord/hospitalero will help you as they will know the local taxi guy personally.

It's why I bought a donativo I discovered the next day.

I agree with all the above posts re which bits to miss. To get the compostela and feel fulfilled you need to walk from Sarria.

Here's another idea: taxis are cheap because it's Spain. From my village it's 2.5km to Portomarin, so a steep half an hour into Portomarin, and I see the taxis (Portomarin has 3 I think) transporting people there every day. It costs €5. There's no shame, so maybe shave off the end of every day and those extra km by doing the last few miles by taxi. Stop off at any café or albergue and the landlord/hospitalero will help you as they will know the local taxi guy personally.
Are you Casa Banderas? Just read through your website if you are and your story is awesome.

Are you Casa Banderas? Just read through your website if you are and your story is awesome.
I'm the former Casa Susana, now Casa San Xulián. (X is pronounced "sh" in Galician).

My middle name is Julian. I did the camino from SJPP last summer and I found out who St Julian was at Samos, and the next day I saw Casa Susana was for sale and bought it. That was my calling. The story is longer than that but another time.

Casa Banderas is next door, and yes their story is indeed awesome. Perhaps I should work out how to create a website too.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola - a very tough choice. May I offer the following: how important is it that you place your stone at Cruz de Fero? If of major importance then may I suggest that you walk as far as Ponferrada and then get a bus to Sarria. Yes you will miss some of the sites - like O'Cebrero and the memorial to the priest who effectively restarted the camino. But we all have to make choices. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Love to vila Franca - one of my favorite stops. And includes hospital, Astorga and Cruz de ferro. But also that next step includes the amazing hike to O cebreiro. Tough. After you come down the o cebreiro mountain. Maybe that you can skip.

Other than Leon to Astorga and earlier Mansilla de Las Muas to Leon, I would have a difficult time deciding where. But overall, Astorga to O Cebreiro is golden for me. Triacastela and Samos are great, but in order to preserve Astorga to O Cebreiro, I'd look at taking a taxi from O Cebreiro to Sarria. And within the Astorga to O Cebreiro section you could accelerate time by cabbing between. That El Acebo downhill to Molinesca, notwithstanding the abundant heather now, could be taxied to Ponferrada where you could spend an hour or so, and then taxi to Cacabelos and walk from there to Villafranca del Bierzo, which I agree with a previous post simply should not be missed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The part from Astorga to Sarria is one of the most spectacular on CF imho ... so wherever you are currently, you may consider to buss to Astorga right now and then in 9 days walk to Sarria. Stage suggestions plus/minus might be as follows:

View attachment 125570
Is this from an app you can customize?

There is a very local bus that goes between O Cebreiro and Triacastela once a day. I just did a search on Rome2Rio and it leaves about 3:15 pm and costs about 3 or 4 €.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Other than Leon to Astorga and earlier Mansilla de Las Muas to Leon, I would have a difficult time deciding where. But overall, Astorga to O Cebreiro is golden for me. Triacastela and Samos are great, but in order to preserve Astorga to O Cebreiro, I'd look at taking a taxi from O Cebreiro to Sarria. And within the Astorga to O Cebreiro section you could accelerate time by cabbing between. That El Acebo downhill to Molinesca, notwithstanding the abundant heather now, could be taxied to Ponferrada where you could spend an hour or so, and then taxi to Cacabelos and walk from there to Villafranca del Bierzo, which I agree with a previous post simply should not ?
i've started doing this snd it helps a lot- many others of the walking wounded doing this too until sarria! great solution!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
that is sn interesting idea. realized cant really change tix home re other commitments- i've arrived at a good schedule clisy resembling yhe one posted by

i have arrived at a loose schedule resembling the one posted by koknesis. subject to change and i like your idea for some days- though my favorite time is to walk early mornings to see the sun rise (not bed race) btw i noticed the milky way really does run along the camino- beautiful! thanks for all the great suggestions i will combine all the wisdom into a workable plan :)
There was a small book written about the Camino, whose title was La Via Lactia ( The Milky Way)!

fyi i'm right on schedule pretty much- in ponferrada heading to cacabelos tomorrow - cloudy w t- storms coming up with some rainy days- s/be beautiful!

well now the plot thickens: I am in Mercadorio and unable to walk any further.

does anyone know if I would still be able to get a certificate of distance in Santiago?

so close but I honestly cannot walk I did something to my ankle yesterday and cannot walk.

I'm going to bus from portomarin to Santiago tomorrow and spend several days there and then go to muxia for a couple of days and end off my trip

it's all good I've had a really good camino and I've gotten out of it what I want it's just I'm wondering about getting some sort of certificate?

are there any odds for getting Compostela or is that just impossible? anyway that's the status but i am really fine with it. thanks for all your help :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So sad to hear that you have come to a halt @peregrin peregrina .
Others more knowledgeable will chime in shortly I'm sure, maybe even some members who have worked in the Pilgrims office.

Sadly the Compostela is likely to be 100% impossible as the rules are strict in that you need to end in Santiago, and have walked a contiguous 100kms+ to get there.

The distance certificate? Maybe there is a slim chance?

But as you say, you've had a good Camino. It's the journey that really counts.
Muxia is really nice and easy to get to by Bus.
It's a small place though.

I am in Mercadorio and unable to walk any further.
😔
So sorry, @peregrin peregrina . As you say. So close. But it is wisdom to stop when the body asks for that.

As @Robo said, the Compostella is out of the question. I doubt they'd give you a distance certificate, but have no idea. Someone who has volunteered behind the desk will know.

You don't say what you did, but it sounds serious enough to warrant medical care.
Well, there are hospitals in Santiago.
May whatever it is heal quickly!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
am going to taxi to sdc this morning as i cant handle bus right now. can anyone recommend a good clinic (to have ankle looked at) near the csthedral kn SDC? would prefer not to go thru the hospital thing if poss to avoid the huge expense like i had in estella for my knee. my travel insurance never helped after all!

also need to procure a covid test as started experiencing fever sore thraot headache last night. do the pharmacies carry those? i'd like to test before getting the taxi first thing. am in portomarin but cant stay here

it sure is unpleasant to be alone and ill lugging a mochilla around w a fever and hardly able to walk from ankle pain. i cant get into a room til after 1 today in sdc to isolate if necessary but still somehow need to deal w ankle issue too.

all on the glorious day i will arrive at santiago! (albeit not as originally planned!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry you have even more trouble on top of your painful ankle @peregrin peregrina ! Can you drop your pack where you are stayng? There are pack storage places near the pilgrim's office. And the good folks at Pilgrim House might be able to help with that as well as advice about the medical care you need. There's a private hospital but there might be less expensive opotions. They will know.

€83,-
thx got tested dont have covid thank goodness decided to fly home on thursday. trying to figure out if i can get some soup delivered to hotel righ now just super ill hard to walk around sit at restaurant etc...

thx got tested dont have covid thank goodness decided to fly home on thursday. trying to figure out if i can get some soup delivered to hotel righ now just super ill hard to walk around sit at restaurant etc...
My first step would be to ask the host/front desk at your hotel. Let them know you are sick, that you tested negative for covid, and that you coud use some help getting food delivery.

Hang on to your credential. Some day in the future you may return, restart at Sarria and claim the full distance for your next walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My first step would be to ask the host/front desk at your hotel. Let them know you are sick, that you tested negative for covid, and that you coud use some help getting food delivery.

Hang on to your credential. Some day in the future you may return, restart at Sarria and claim the full distance for your next walk.
thx- the hotel people are not familiar w delivery but the front desk person ran around on the street trying to find s/one to no avail. finally i hobbled out and got some incredible galacian stew- perfection! and good idea re the credential :)

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back